Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 156

Grantland article on Oregon Success... Uniforms??

Interesting take on the Uniform arms race from Grantland.com, which if you aren't reading you should, focuses on Oregon success and how it relates to Nike's marketing decisions and uniform experimentation.

Michael Kruse on Nike and the success of Oregon football - Grantland

Not good news for all those who hated our Yellow top/red bottom look last year against Mizzou.

Tradition? Tradition is great where it's a sellable, marketable commodity. Alabama can sell tradition. Penn State can sell tradition. Michigan can sell tradition. At those places, tradition is the differentiation, but at the schools where it's not? They have to go in the opposite direction. And no one has done that better, or more consciously, than Nike and Oregon, which for the purposes of this conversation are essentially one and the same. Oregon's tradition at this point is the overtly embraced lack of tradition. Change.
    "It's probably the easiest way for Oregon to cut through the clutter of college football, to be undeniably known for something," Swangard said. "If no one knows your product exists, there is no demand for your product, and at the end of the day it's about 18-year-old kids. The uniforms are the key ingredient to getting those bodies there, and the bodies are what win you football games."

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Re: Grantland article on Oregon Success... Uniforms??

Take a look at Lil Wayne's outfit for the MTV VMAs. He proves that looking goofy is more fashionable than looking good. Oregon has gone with the "kids would wear a Yellow and Green diaper if we told them it was the cool thing to do" look. Their uniforms are nasty, but a 19 year old kid wants to set trends and Nike and Oregon know that.
    I think anytime you go for the futuristic look, you end up dating yourself in the end. Look at every pro team that was founded between the late 80's and mid 90's. Teal, purple, silver, neon blue. They were all trying to be the next trend setter, but ended up just looking outdated after a couple of years. I hope Oregon, and Lil Wayne, realize that in 10 years we will look back and think they just looked rediculous. That being said, I think that Iowa should go back on occasion and use the feathers on the shoulders. Of course, they would be labeled as copying Oregon.

Cy 'till I Die

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 42

That first woute is exactly right and is what I have been saying in every uniform thread. Everyone wants to have the same thing and build "tradition" as well as market it. You can't market something you don't have. Oregon and Phil Knight realized this and they did what they did. Now what do they have? Tradition.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

The uniforms are a symbol of Oregon's access to unlimited NIKE money. That $25,000 they paid for Lache Seastrunk probably had Phil Knight's DNA on it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    Interesting take on the Uniform arms race from Grantland.com, which if you aren't reading you should, focuses on Oregon success and how it relates to Nike's marketing decisions and uniform experimentation.

Michael Kruse on Nike and the success of Oregon football - Grantland

Not good news for all those who hated our Yellow top/red bottom look last year against Mizzou.
    There's a big difference between wearing ugly uniform combinations and having cutting edge equipment and uniforms and top of the line facilities.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 18

Say what you want about their uniforms, but at the end of the day student athletes LOVE this type of thing.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    There's a big difference between wearing ugly uniform combinations and having cutting edge equipment and uniforms and top of the line facilities.
    Well if read the article, you will find that the uniform trend which Phil Knight approached Nike marketing with in 1996 is what started the rise of Oregon's notoriety in the landscape of college football. Sure having those facilities are huge but that was secondary to the uniform revolution being started.

The biggest thing I took from the article is the simple marketing concept in the quote, basically people won't buy what they don't know about. The uniforms are the attention getter to spark interest followed by wooing prospects with your dynamite facilities. LaMichael James and LeGarrette Blount both commented on when/why they recognized Oregon, and it wasn't the facilities that brought them in. It was Uni''s.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    Well if read the article, you will find that the uniform trend which Phil Knight approached Nike marketing with in 1996 is what started the rise of Oregon's notoriety in the landscape of college football. Sure having those facilities are huge but that was secondary to the uniform revolution being started.

The biggest thing I took from the article is the simple marketing concept in the quote, basically people won't buy what they don't know about. The uniforms are the attention getter to spark interest followed by wooing prospects with your dynamite facilities. LaMichael James and LeGarrette Blount both commented on when/why they recognized Oregon, and it wasn't the facilities that brought them in. It was Uni''s.
    I did read the article. Here's what you left out:

"So after the Cotton Bowl loss, Knight asked the Ducks' coach a question, and he asked Nike's designers a question.

He asked the coach: What do you need from me?

He asked the designers: How can we make teenagers who are good at football want to come to the University of Oregon

The answer Knight got from the coach was an indoor practice facility. The coach got that and more. Since then, Knight has spent some $300 million on stadium additions, luxury boxes, and palatial locker rooms. All of these things obviously are on the list of reasons Oregon's football team got good."

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 10

"So after the Cotton Bowl loss, Knight asked the Ducks' coach a question, and he asked Nike's designers a question.

He asked the designers: How can we make teenagers who are good at football want to come to the University of Oregon

The answer Knight got from the coach was an indoor practice facility. The coach got that and more. Since then, Knight has spent some $300 million on stadium additions, luxury boxes, and palatial locker rooms. All of these things obviously are on the list of reasons Oregon's football team got good."
    Amen. I think Oregon's success has a lot more to do with Knight's $$ and what it buys (facilities, weights, gaming systems in EVERY FREAKING LOCKER) which in turn has significantly upgraded their talent. Sure, they're known around the country for their unis, but the unis aren't the reason they were in the NCG last January.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Since then, meaning 1996 until 2011 right? I wouldn't argue the contributions of Phil Knights money to their program and it's facilities over the past 15 years. The article is focused on the attention getter, which was uniforms beginning in 1996.

The theme being that facilities will only entice a prospect if you can get him to look at them. How did they get kids to come look at them, either online or in person... uniforms.

To use it in terms of ISU, some kid from Florida or Cali doesn't just know about our sweet new video board or our soon-to-be sweet new Football only building. We would have to do something like feature them locally in the kids town or have them featured on some tv broadcast of our game. Otherwise, what draws him to be interested enough to go to his computer and look up ISU when we lack the tradition and serious victories of Texas and Oklahoma.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 49

So we need a big fat check book so we can get the facilities we need and a great look that will attract kids.

Or we could go one step further and start advertising on our unis like they do in those other games that are called football. Us the money driven from the adverts to put into the program and become a brand.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 78

For what it's worth, the Cyclone football players blew up Twitter after the Missouri game last season talking about how they loved the uniforms. I agree with the article, ISU has no tradition and having multiple uniform sets is almost a necessity.

Iowa State (athletically) is very much reactionary and that can be quite annoying. They need to think outside of the box to become successful.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post
    For what it's worth, the Cyclone football players blew up Twitter after the Missouri game last season talking about how they loved the uniforms. I agree with the article, ISU has no tradition and having multiple uniform sets is almost a necessity.

Iowa State (athletically) is very much reactionary and that can be quite annoying. They need to think outside of the box to become successful.
    I don't know how much the university can do about this in regards to uniforms. Unless you have some connection to a major uniform provider (Oregon, Maryland) or are a big time football program you're not going to get the cutting edge uniforms that Nike or Adidas or Under Amour make. Hell, we couldn't even get the right shade of red for our basketball uniforms a couple of years ago.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 242

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post

I don't think that's totally fair. ISU does things like social media very well. Look how well they've utilized YouTube to put a charismatic football coach front and center and make him a minor sensation in college football coverage. I don't remember another ISU coach that analysts have gone out of their way to say good things about like they do with Rhoads.