Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 65

Do you use XM radio?

I've had it for years. Most of the time when my contract is up, I usually call a few days early and tell them I want to cancel and don't want to renew. I usually would get 6 months for $21ish. I've done that the last 4, 6 month periods.
    Today I call and do my typical cancel thing and they do their typical discount offer. This time they don't offer the $21 price, they do a $42 price for the 6 months. I declined saying I've gotten it cheaper in the past. She did the counter offer of, don't forget about all the stations, and I said I have a smart phone I can bluetooth to. She didn't drop the price down to the old $21 price. I was very cordial with her and she was also. I thought it would eventually be offered before I hung up but it wasn't.
    Do many of you still use XM and/or get it for the $21 price? I just can't see paying more than $5 a month for this nowadays with the technology that is out there.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 26

Re: Do you use XM radio?

I know they've merged but Sirius rocks...couldn't live without it. You've got ISU sports, Bill Kings 24/7 college sports, rivals, Jack Arute and Mike Leach at the noon hour (required listening...seriously Mike Leach is the man) and Howard Stern during the offseason. Not sure if you get all those with XM but if not you just need to switch. Anybody that calls themself a college sports junkie should be required to get Sirius.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,026
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 61

I have done the same thing you have done for several years. I usually tell them, look, you can get $6/mo out of me or $0/mo out of me, your pick, because I can live without it. I think sometimes it just depends on what customer service rep you get. So did you actually cancel? I'd try calling again just to see if you get a different answer.

Good to know I may run into this myself next time though.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I bought my vehicle off craiglist 18 months ago and the XM was never disconnected and I have never paid. Not great, but definitely worth the price I pay!

“Also, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I don’t want to leave any of that behind.” - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,331
    Given: 125

I'm sure it'd definitely be something that'd be nice to have, but I can't imagine ever paying for radio.

Recruit
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    I've had it for years. Most of the time when my contract is up, I usually call a few days early and tell them I want to cancel and don't want to renew. I usually would get 6 months for $21ish. I've done that the last 4, 6 month periods.
    Today I call and do my typical cancel thing and they do their typical discount offer. This time they don't offer the $21 price, they do a $42 price for the 6 months. I declined saying I've gotten it cheaper in the past. She did the counter offer of, don't forget about all the stations, and I said I have a smart phone I can bluetooth to. She didn't drop the price down to the old $21 price. I was very cordial with her and she was also. I thought it would eventually be offered before I hung up but it wasn't.
    Do many of you still use XM and/or get it for the $21 price? I just can't see paying more than $5 a month for this nowadays with the technology that is out there.
    I used it for about 4 years and found the same thing when my subscription ran out. The woman I spoke to wasn't budging on the price either. I guess XM has reached the heights of the cell phone companies, where they're not really concerned with keeping customers because they'll get new ones.

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 38

I have sirius which came with my bmw for the first year. i like a lot and will be renewing when my year is up.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 146

I have a buddy who works for XM, they're supposed to offer you the discount if you say you want to drop. I just did this, as did my mom. I'd give it another shot if I were you.

Prospect
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Have done basically the same thing every year for the last 5 that I have had it. This year I think it was 6 or so bucks less a month then what the actual renewal was supposed to be. Guessing that they have reached the point with the merger that you really have no other options.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 110

Ive done the same thing the past few years and am disappointed to hear that it might not work when this comes up again.

XM has been decreasing in quality since the Sirius merger. Still better than regular radio, but the channel options are less, the playlists are shorter, and then they went and replaced a few channels with clearchannel radio simulcasts. And still not happy they killed off Cinemagic (moved it to online only.. which should be free but costs now), i liked listening to random movie soundtracks sometimes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 264

Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    You need mobile Spotify for that price.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 264

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Ive done the same thing the past few years and am disappointed to hear that it might not work when this comes up again.

XM has been decreasing in quality since the Sirius merger. Still better than regular radio, but the channel options are less, the playlists are shorter, and then they went and replaced a few channels with clearchannel radio simulcasts. And still not happy they killed off Cinemagic (moved it to online only.. which should be free but costs now), i liked listening to random movie soundtracks sometimes.
    The company is financially still in trouble and these are signs of what happens in mergers. The price is on the way up, just like merged airlines.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Walk On
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    I know they've merged but Sirius rocks...couldn't live without it. You've got ISU sports, Bill Kings 24/7 college sports, rivals, Jack Arute and Mike Leach at the noon hour (required listening...seriously Mike Leach is the man) and Howard Stern during the offseason. Not sure if you get all those with XM but if not you just need to switch. Anybody that calls themself a college sports junkie should be required to get Sirius.
    Right on... I've had Sirius since '06 and couldn't live without it. Best sports programming available and Howard Stern. For those who haven't tried it, I HIGHLY recommend it! Also, you can get almost all of the Cyclone fball & bball games, which is great, especially if you're on the road out of state a lot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 1

Once you go satellite radio, it's real hard to go back. I had XM ever since I bought my new car last year & I freakin' love it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 287

I love rental cars with satellite radio in which I can listen to B.B. King's Bluesville.