Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 11,470, Level: 32
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 480
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Redman97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    298
    Points
    11,470
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 23

    College rankings


  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 42,700, Level: 63
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mike4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,564
    Points
    42,700
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: College rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Redman97 View Post
    ISU at #68. Lots of California schools on there...wow

    Look who is at 126...right behind University of Vermont. BAHAHAHAHAH


    --Luck of the Cyrish--






  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 72,425, Level: 83
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SvrWxCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,851
    Points
    72,425
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: College rankings

    So who wants to find all of the Big 12 schools and then compare to all of the Big 10 schools, see how much different the academics are according to these rankings...



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 183,461, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Rhoadhoused's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,484
    Points
    183,461
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 460
    Given: 213

    Re: College rankings

    This is a really really good ranking for us. Right behind Northwestern, ahead of Baylor by a good amount. Those two schools are really good.

    And of course, being about 60 spots higher than Iowa is good too



  5. #5
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: College rankings

    Suck it U of I.



  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 14,597, Level: 36
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    492
    Points
    14,597
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: College rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    So who wants to find all of the Big 12 schools and then compare to all of the Big 10 schools, see how much different the academics are according to these rankings...
    Big 12
    15. Texas A&M
    19. Texas
    68. Iowa State
    80. Baylor
    113. Missouri
    145. Oklahoma State
    152. Kansas
    187. Oklahoma
    189. Kansas State
    215. Texas Tech

    Big Ten
    10. Michigan
    29. Wisconsin
    33. Michigan State
    38. Illinois
    42. Ohio State
    45. Minnesota
    47. Penn State
    67. Northwestern
    79. Purdue
    108. Indiana
    126. Iowa
    140. Nebraska



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 21,139, Level: 44
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    boone7247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Near the City
    Posts
    1,336
    Points
    21,139
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 40

    Re: College rankings

    By no means do I want to be nice to the B1G, but at first glance through the top 100 they are kicking the **** out of the Big 12. However, ISU does look nice sitting there right behind Northwestern and a head of Baylor.

    As proved by the post right before this.



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 206,553, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,437
    Points
    206,553
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 223

    Re: College rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCyclone View Post
    Big 12
    15. Texas A&M
    19. Texas
    68. Iowa State
    80. Baylor
    113. Missouri
    145. Oklahoma State
    152. Kansas
    187. Oklahoma
    189. Kansas State
    215. Texas Tech

    Big Ten
    10. Michigan
    29. Wisconsin
    33. Michigan State
    38. Illinois
    42. Ohio State
    45. Minnesota
    47. Penn State
    67. Northwestern
    79. Purdue
    108. Indiana
    126. Iowa
    140. Nebraska
    Hey, pretty soon we'll be the #2 academic school in the conference!



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 72,425, Level: 83
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SvrWxCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,851
    Points
    72,425
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: College rankings

    Averages are about what is expected with the bottom of the Big 12 really hurting the average; interesting to see that Iowa and Nebraska are the two lowest in the Big 10.

    Big 12 Average: 118.3

    Big 10 Average: 63.7



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 21,139, Level: 44
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    boone7247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Near the City
    Posts
    1,336
    Points
    21,139
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 40

    Re: College rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    Averages are about what is expected with the bottom of the Big 12 really hurting the average; interesting to see that Iowa and Nebraska are the two lowest in the Big 10.

    Big 12 Average: 118.3

    Big 10 Average: 63.7
    Maybe the B1G would like to trade ISU for either of them.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 191,712, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Bret44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hampton, IA
    Posts
    8,249
    Points
    191,712
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,058
    Given: 612

    Re: College rankings

    I was a little surprised by the fact that our spending on research isn't higher. Ranked 71st? In my experince that is what the institution seems to spend alot of its time on.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 50,578, Level: 69
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 572
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    2,220
    Points
    50,578
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 0

    Re: College rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    So who wants to find all of the Big 12 schools and then compare to all of the Big 10 schools, see how much different the academics are according to these rankings...
    This is a great list to make, but it's really not measuring quality of academic programs, faculty, outcomes, etc. Unless you really think Syracuse is a better academic institution than Penn, U of Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, etc. This list is mainly about commitment to public service, social justice, and research, as it explains. Again, a great list to make and something to be proud of. I wish Iowa placed higher.



  13. #13
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: College rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    Hey, pretty soon we'll be the #2 academic school in the conference!
    Glass half full!



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 72,425, Level: 83
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SvrWxCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,851
    Points
    72,425
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: College rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    This is a great list to make, but it's really not measuring quality of academic programs, faculty, outcomes, etc. Unless you really think Syracuse is a better academic institution than Penn, U of Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, etc. This list is mainly about commitment to public service, social justice, and research, as it explains. Again, a great list to make and something to be proud of. I wish Iowa placed higher.
    I completely understand as there are several ways you can measure the academic success of a university and their are multiple lists that you could use. Along this same line, what do people think is the best list/resource to use for academic success of a university?



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 50,578, Level: 69
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 572
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    2,220
    Points
    50,578
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 0

    Re: College rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    I completely understand as there are several ways you can measure the academic success of a university and their are multiple lists that you could use. Along this same line, what do people think is the best list/resource to use for academic success of a university?
    A lot of schools think any list outlining which schools are best is bogus. There are a lot of university presidents who refuse to participate in the U.S. News rankings by not filing the necessary info.

    Unfortunately a lot of the lists out there aren't too reliable. Schools can easily buy their way onto a list like this one by spending ad dollars with the publication that sponsors it. Sad, but true.

    Still, rankings like U.S. News and Princeton Review and others are relied upon by parents and students. Whether certain schools or university presidents like it or not, they matter. For schools that aren't named Harvard or Princeton, being included in rankings like these is a big deal.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM