Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

CFN.com Preview

Iowa (2-0) at Iowa State (0-2) 1:30 PM
    Why to Watch: The painful "throw out the record book" cliché here as Iowa State always gives Iowa problems. The Cyclones would like to throw out the first two games of the Gene Chizik era, losing home games to Kent State and Northern Iowa, and looking awful in both. As bad as things have been, the season can take a wicked 180-degree turn if the Cyclones can pull off their magic against an Iowa team that struggled against Northern Illinois, and then dominated Syracuse in a 35-0 stomping. With a showdown against Wisconsin next week, Iowa could use a breather of a game to work on getting all the young players and the backups some meaningful work, but this is a rivalry game. Iowa State will have other ideas.
    Why Iowa Might Win: When in doubt, when Iowa State starts to get a little bit of momentum, Iowa should be able to rely on the lines and come through with a long drive, or a stuffing stop, when it absolutely needs to. The Cyclone running game hasn't been bad, but it's about to hit a brick wall against a Hawkeye defensive front that's swallowing up the run. Iowa State's biggest problem has been turning the ball over and making big mistakes, and with the fearsome Hawkeye pass rush sure to pressure Bret Meyer, there should be several opportunities to force turnovers. Northern Illinois and Syracuse aren't great, but they're better than Iowa State and they combined to net 45 rushing yards.
    Why Iowa State Might Win: Iowa State's defense hasn't been awful so far, and it should play just well enough to keep the game close. The offense has been the issue, and the run defense has struggled, but the secondary has done a good job so far, while the defensive front has generated decent pressure. This is an entirely different animal for new Iowa QB Jake Christensen, as he'll now have to deal with a road game in a rivalry game. Better Iowa teams than this have fallen to the Cyclones in the past. Iowa State will play like this is its Super Bowl.
    Who to Watch: It's time for Bret Meyer to save his season and come up with his first really good performance against Iowa. Meyer is 1-2 against the Hawkeyes, and while he ran well last year, he struggled mightily to get anything going in the passing game with just 152 yards, 154 the year before, and 100 as a freshman. He had to do everything for the offense last week, but while he threw for 255 yards, he didn't throw a touchdown pass and tossed two picks. For Iowa State to have any shot, he can't just be effective; he has to be brilliant. For that to happen, it's time for WR Todd Blythe to show up. With only seven catches for 97 yards and a touchdown in the first two games, he hasn't been able to help the struggling attack.
    What Will Happen: The emotion of the game will carry Iowa State for a half, as the defense forces a few Iowa mistakes, but the Cyclone offense will be shut down in the second half. The Iowa defensive line will be the difference.
    CFN Prediction: Iowa 23 ... Iowa State 10 ... Line: Iowa -17
    Must See Rating: (5 Britney at the VMAs - 1 Big Shots) ... 2

Scout.com: Big 12 Fearless Predictions, Sept. 15

Last edited by isuarch80; 09-13-2007 at 09:09 AM.
    Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

All-Star
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: CFN.com Preview

I hate how they used the "Super Bowl" comment though...

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 12

How can you make the statement that Iowa State is worse than Northern Illinois and Syracuse? None of these teams has won a game yet and Northern Illinois lost to a worse I-AA team than Iowa State.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 257

I think UNI will beat Southern Illinois which did beat Northern Illinois, so it is a stretch. Just dunderheads over in IC. Watch the air go out of their sails in the third quarter. Herk the Jerk.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 951
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by isuarch80 View Post
    I hate how they used the "Super Bowl" comment though...
    It was a good analysis, but yeah that comment was stupid.