Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 258

Find Inspiration

Howe: Chizik Can Find Inspiration in Ferentz

By Rob Howe
    HN.com Senior Writer
    Posted Sep 12, 2007

Gene Chizik has limped to an 0-2 start at Iowa State as the Cyclones prepare for Iowa in Week 3. Hawkeye Coach Kirk Ferentz struggled initially when he became head coach. There are similarities between the situations.

If Gene Chizik is looking for inspiration it will come to his stadium this weekend in the form of Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz. The new Iowa State head man must be a little down in the dumps after a 0-2 start to Season One.
    Ferentz began 0-2 at Iowa back in 1999, including a 17-10 loss against the Cyclones. After a win against Northern Illinois in the third week, the Hawkeyes went on to lose their next 13.
    Not inspired yet, Gene. Well, the story gets better. Iowa is riding a streak of six bowl trips in a row. Michigan and Ohio State are the only other Big Ten teams currently on a run at least equal to that.
    Ferentz is the most recognizable face on the state’s sports landscape. He is a long way from his status of eight years ago.
    Iowa fans wanted Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops to replace legendary Hayden Fry. When Ferentz was hired, many people’s reaction was “Who?” When he lost 18 of his first 20 games at the Hawkeye helm, the reaction was “Why?’
    Ferentz now would have a decent shot at governor if he chose to run. I’m not sure if he would admit it, but there must be satisfaction in rebuilding the Hawkeyes. Often times these days, his name gets brought up when schools hire a new coach trying to turn programs around.
    “I mean, it's accurate,” Ferentz said of being reminded of the struggles. “All you have to do is look at our record. That's kind of etched in my mind.
    “But that’s just the way it goes. I know at that time we weren’t worried too much about the big picture. We were just trying to get better and trying do all we could to improve week to week, day to day. Things really haven’t changed that much.”
    Some of the things said and written about Ferentz in his first few years definitely stung. While his teams were winning at least 10 games from ’02-04, he made mention of the fact he wasn’t one of the top choices for the job.
    Through it all, he only considered leaving for a brief time. During the week of the Ohio State game in ’00, offensive lineman Sam Aiello went down from a freakish injury. Let’s just say the Hawkeyes were struggling to get five healthy bodies together on that unit, let alone talented ones.
    “I went home that night thinking, ‘You know, maybe this wasn’t supposed to work out,’” Ferentz recalled “That next morning I went back to work and everything was fine.”
    After a 1-10 first season at Iowa, Ferentz turned down a nice deal from the NFL.
    “I was without a contract (from Iowa) at that time,” Ferentz said. “That was going nowhere. We were at a stalemate there. (The NFL offer) was for a substantial raise. It was with people that I was real comfortable with and would have been happy to work with.”
    Ferentz already was tight with his assistants at Iowa. He stuck with his commitment to them instead of jumping back into the NFL, where he was a long-time offensive line coach.
    “I believed that things would work out fine (at Iowa),” Ferentz said. “I liked coaching here. After being back for a year, I was confident that this was where I wanted to be and things would work out.”
    Ferentz’s first order of business at Iowa was to assemble a strong staff. He believed that was the key to building a strong foundation. Next came recruiting.
    “You're doing both simultaneously, but if I (was) prioritizing, I'd say the staff is the most important thing,” Ferentz said. “That's the most permanent thing you're going to do.”
    Ferentz sees a similarity with how he and Chizik started. Both men basically selected staff members from various outside programs as opposed to having all or a chunk of a group in place.
    “You're not only going through the transition with players, but the staff goes through a transition, too,” Ferentz said. “We basically created our playbooks when we got here. It wasn't like we just threw a book down and said this is it. We shared ideas. It's a great experience, but it's a bit more time consuming as well.”
    Another challenge for a first-year coach is molding his and the staff’s ideas and football philosophies around a roster of players they didn’t recruit.
    “There was give and take,” Ferentz said. “To think we're going to run it for 200 yards a game, (it) became pretty apparent pretty quickly that wasn't going to be realistic. Those things you just try and evaluate what we can do the best and what gives us a chance to win. You have to get some things in there philosophically, some core beliefs that we have. If you don’t, your players don't have anything to grab on to. The little edit you may gain on the short team, you're never going to get long-term.”
    Ferentz learned a lot from the adversity of his first two seasons at Iowa. He also said he has been educated in this process every day since then. “It's invigorating,” Ferentz said. “It's such a dynamic process. It's always changing. Injuries, whatever it is, it's going on all the time; personal problems, a guy maybe having. Usually something happens every day that you've got to deal with. That's the part of the challenge.” Chizik is facing his biggest challenge right now.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Find Inspiration

Guess Kirk Ferentz could have used Troy Davis to run for 200 yards a game.

Legend
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 275

My hats' off to ya Ferentz. I hope Chizik has the same if not better experience at ISU.

Walk On
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think we, as fans, really need to be prepared to have a couple of seasons similar to Ferentz's first two years. Chizik needs time to change mindsets, find cohesiveness with the staff, bring in his type of recruits, and begin to solidify the program in his way. It will take time.

I am looking for continual improvement throughout the season. Competitiveness and toughness. I'm not ready to start counting W's, because I don't think that's the best way to gauge this program in its early years.

BillyClone

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Wow, after the success Fry had at Iowa, I'm surprised Ferentz was able to stick around after losing 18 of his first 20 games as HC. That's why we need to be patient with Chizik.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

17 points FAVORITE? This only means no one is betting Cyclones in Vegas. I cannot believe Iowa has that much better team. That would mean in Iowa City they would have been a 23 point favorite.

Question comes up if we are better than last year? What do you think?