Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,676
    Given: 170

Children's Book Uproar

Apparently a soon to be released children's book about a young girl losing weight through diet and exercise is causing quite the outrage among....fat people I assume.

Diet book for kids blasted for giving "dangerous" advice - HealthPop - CBS News

Some of the comments on the Amazon page of the book are downright scary/hilarious.

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Maggie Goes on A Diet forum

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 180

Re: Children's Book Uproar

Those are some crazy fat people ******** about this book on that forum.

They don't need diets to get rid of childhood obesity just stop giving out ******* participation medals for everything and telling every fat dumb kid that he/she is special.

My solution is to start playing dodgeball again. No one likes to be the first kid out in dodgeball, right? And who is the first kid out? The fat kid. There is your motivation right there! Problem solved. There is a significant correlation between the downfall of dodgeball in our schools and the rise in childhood obesity.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by 3TrueFans View Post
    Apparently a soon to be released children's book about a young girl losing weight through diet and exercise is causing quite the outrage among....fat people I assume.

Diet book for kids blasted for giving "dangerous" advice - HealthPop - CBS News

Some of the comments on the Amazon page of the book are downright scary/hilarious.

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Maggie Goes on A Diet forum
    I think we should ban books before we read them. That's the sensible thing to do. If we don't ban it a constructive dialogue about a crippling societal problem might happen.

And we wouldn't want that.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 311

God forbid we get childrens weight down and give the health care system some slack by teaching them that hard work, Exercise and not eating freakin twinkies 24 hours a day is a good thing. Same people complaining are the ones who are sitting at mercy hospital with chest pains in there mid 20's to mid 40's and weight a billion pounds.

Sick of seeing people walking around looking like mini vans because they are to lazy to lose some weight. yeah yeah yeah it's a disorder.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Pro
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    Those are some crazy fat people ******** about this book on that forum.

They don't need diets to get rid of childhood obesity just stop giving out ******* participation medals for everything and telling every fat dumb kid that he/she is special.

My solution is to start playing dodgeball again. No one likes to be the first kid out in dodgeball, right? And who is the first kid out? The fat kid. There is your motivation right there! Problem solved. There is a significant correlation between the downfall of dodgeball in our schools and the rise in childhood obesity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Over Text
    Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there'.

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkhunter View Post
    Nope, those were facts. You're wrong.

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 104

Quote Originally Posted by kaynejones View Post
    I read an article about that. Please allow me to share it here. Childhood obesity in the United States is a huge polemic and issue. About 17 percent of all children younger than 19 would be considered medically overweight. One publication, recently listed on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble attempts to deal with this epidemic carefully, with nutritional advice. This book, however, might be doing a lot of damage. Child psychologists and nutrition experts are saying that this book does not approach children's weight issues in a safe and sane way. Check this out: Maggie Goes On A Diet raises questions of childhood obesity. Albeit “Maggie Goes on a Diet” is about eating right and exercising, it also concerns about eating disorders. The story starts with the main character hating her body, and she makes changes because of that. The book is focused toward youngsters who are at the age where eating disorders can often begin to develop. For children who are overweight, nutritionists recommend healthy habits that will help them grow into the weight they do have, rather than specifically reducing weight because diet is not about STARVATION but about proper nutrition and proper exercise.

So which is it? Does "Maggie" lose weight by eating healthy and exercise or starvation? And of course she would decide to make a change after not liking what she sees. No matter her age, it's always going to come down to a personal choice. Also, if that's the age eating disorders develop, I'd say this is a perfect age group to release the book to. It must also be the age healthy lifestyle habits develop.

And another thing, this book is being released to 6-8 year olds. No kid is going to get this book unless the parents buy it for them. It's their fault their kid is fat anyway, so once again. Everyone calm down and let the parents parent.

Walk On
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I read an article about that. Please allow me to share it here. Childhood obesity in the United States is a huge polemic and issue. About 17 percent of all children younger than 19 would be considered medically overweight. One publication, recently listed on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble attempts to deal with this epidemic carefully, with nutritional advice. This book, however, might be doing a lot of damage. Child psychologists and nutrition experts are saying that this book does not approach children's weight issues in a safe and sane way. Check this out: Maggie Goes On A Diet raises questions of childhood obesity. Albeit “Maggie Goes on a Diet” is about eating right and exercising, it also concerns about eating disorders. The story starts with the main character hating her body, and she makes changes because of that. The book is focused toward youngsters who are at the age where eating disorders can often begin to develop. For children who are overweight, nutritionists recommend healthy habits that will help them grow into the weight they do have, rather than specifically reducing weight because diet is not about STARVATION but about proper nutrition and proper exercise.
    This is the part that scares me as a father of young daughters. We have made changes in our eating habits this past, the college pizza and beer diet did wonders for us, but the changes were made subtly to our daughter about why we all should be eating healthy foods. I haven't seen anything about this book, other than here, but the last thing I would want to read to my daughter is a book that has a young girl who goes about weight loss the wrong way. Eating disorders can be formed at a young age.

And I agree with the dodgeball/everyone wins argument. Parents need to give their kids healthy options and parents/teachers need to add a little compitition to PE and activities in schools. Just my two cents worth.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 89

Out of all of the things you could have said...this was your first post? I'll give you credit, a very well thought out first post.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And I agree with the dodgeball/everyone wins argument. Parents need to give their kids healthy options and parents/teachers need to add a little compitition to PE and activities in schools. Just my two cents worth.
    Does the competition part make them burn more calories or something?

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 146

causing quite the outrage among....fat people I assume.
    I thought fat people were too lazy to read a book?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RING4CY View Post
    As long as the book is light enough that they can read it with one hand while eating a turkey leg with the other.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 86

Quote Originally Posted by RING4CY View Post
    They got the audiobook, I assume.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As long as the book is light enough that they can read it with one hand while eating a turkey leg with the other.
    Or it's an edible book, maybe made out of chocolate or potato chips... but then it wouldn't get read either.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 924

Quote Originally Posted by PabloDiablo View Post
    Or it's an edible book, maybe made out of chocolate or potato chips... but then it wouldn't get read either.
    It could get read still. Read a page, eat that page.