Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

CFN Iowa/Iowa State Prediction

Iowa (2-0) at Iowa State (0-2) 1:30 PM
    Why to Watch: The painful "throw out the record book" cliché here as Iowa State always gives Iowa problems. The Cyclones would like to throw out the first two games of the Gene Chizik era, losing home games to Kent State and Northern Iowa, and looking awful in both. As bad as things have been, the season can take a wicked 180-degree turn if the Cyclones can pull off their magic against an Iowa team that struggled against Northern Illinois, and then dominated Syracuse in a 35-0 stomping. With a showdown against Wisconsin next week, Iowa could use a breather of a game to work on getting all the young players and the backups some meaningful work, but this is a rivalry game. Iowa State will have other ideas.
    Why Iowa Might Win: When in doubt, when Iowa State starts to get a little bit of momentum, Iowa should be able to rely on the lines and come through with a long drive, or a stuffing stop, when it absolutely needs to. The Cyclone running game hasn't been bad, but it's about to hit a brick wall against a Hawkeye defensive front that's swallowing up the run. Iowa State's biggest problem has been turning the ball over and making big mistakes, and with the fearsome Hawkeye pass rush sure to pressure Bret Meyer, there should be several opportunities to force turnovers. Northern Illinois and Syracuse aren't great, but they're better than Iowa State and they combined to net 45 rushing yards.
    Why Iowa State Might Win: Iowa State's defense hasn't been awful so far, and it should play just well enough to keep the game close. The offense has been the issue, and the run defense has struggled, but the secondary has done a good job so far, while the defensive front has generated decent pressure. This is an entirely different animal for new Iowa QB Jake Christensen, as he'll now have to deal with a road game in a rivalry game. Better Iowa teams than this have fallen to the Cyclones in the past. Iowa State will play like this is its Super Bowl.
    Who to Watch: It's time for Bret Meyer to save his season and come up with his first really good performance against Iowa. Meyer is 1-2 against the Hawkeyes, and while he ran well last year, he struggled mightily to get anything going in the passing game with just 152 yards, 154 the year before, and 100 as a freshman. He had to do everything for the offense last week, but while he threw for 255 yards, he didn't throw a touchdown pass and tossed two picks. For Iowa State to have any shot, he can't just be effective; he has to be brilliant. For that to happen, it's time for WR Todd Blythe to show up. With only seven catches for 97 yards and a touchdown in the first two games, he hasn't been able to help the struggling attack.
    What Will Happen: The emotion of the game will carry Iowa State for a half, as the defense forces a few Iowa mistakes, but the Cyclone offense will be shut down in the second half. The Iowa defensive line will be the difference.
    CFN Prediction: Iowa 23 ... Iowa State 10 ... Line: Iowa -17
    Must See Rating: (5 Britney at the VMAs - 1 Big Shots) ... 2

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 2

Re: CFN Iowa/Iowa State Prediction

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    Iowa State will play like this is its Super Bowl.
    Great....

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Considering we are 0-2, the Super Bowl thing holds merit this season IMO.

Recruit
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think we have a great chance at winning this game. A friend of mine has season tickets for the hawkeyes and also went to chicago for the NIU game. When talking to him yesterday about the big game, he didn't sound all that confident about Iowa's chances. He said the offense isn't as good as a lot of people say it is, and the 35-0 score against the 'cuse wasn't as dominante as the score board showed. He said that the game being in Iowa City and having the home crowd was probably more of a factor than Iowa really being that much better than syracuse.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Someone needs to make a sign that goes somewhere along the lines of F*ck Iowa.... this is NOT our superbowl

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

The "superbowl" statement is just something "they" use so that if ISU actually wins then they won't seem like complete idiots for not at least giving us a shot at winning this game, and however repetitive it is to keep hearing people saying it, I try to just take it in stride.. after all we should be playing every game like its our "superbowl" otherwise what's the point? So let them say it's our "superbowl" i take it as a compliment that we're aiming to play like champions' which is the way football is ment to be played every single time.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    The "superbowl" statement is just something "they" use so that if ISU actually wins then they won't seem like complete idiots for not at least giving us a shot at winning this game, and however repetitive it is to keep hearing people saying it, I try to just take it in stride.. after all we should be playing every game like its our "superbowl" otherwise what's the point? So let them say it's our "superbowl" i take it as a compliment that we're aiming to play like champions' which is the way football is ment to be played every single time.
    The 'This state's Superbowl' was also used in an official ISU release back in 2005, one that told people to get to the game early.

In fact, I still have a copy of it. Here is how it began:

Plan ahead for fun at THE big game – Iowa State vs. Iowa, Sept. 10

AMES, Iowa – Saturday, Sept. 10 is the Super Bowl for Iowans, the day Iowa State and Iowa renew their intrastate football rivalry for the 53rd time. Kickoff is 2:30 p.m., and the game will air live on ABC-TV.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    The 'This state's Superbowl' was also used in an official ISU release back in 2005, one that told people to get to the game early.

In fact, I still have a copy of it. Here is how it began:

Plan ahead for fun at THE big game – Iowa State vs. Iowa, Sept. 10

AMES, Iowa – Saturday, Sept. 10 is the Super Bowl for Iowans, the day Iowa State and Iowa renew their intrastate football rivalry for the 53rd time. Kickoff is 2:30 p.m., and the game will air live on ABC-TV.
    This statement is true, however I think CFN spoke with someone on the Hawk side of the story to get that superbowl quote for this game or probably read it in the Des Moines Register and got it from Mitch King's quote the other day.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

As far as I'm concerned, until we win a game, every Saturday is our Super Bowl.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 21

As far as I'm concerned, if we go 1-11 and our only victory is against Iowa, ya I'd call it a successful season.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone Brian View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if we go 1-11 and our only victory is against Iowa, ya I'd call it a successful season.

Horrible, please do not post like this again!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 731
    Given: 491

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclone Brian View Post
    That's the kind of response that makes the rest of the 95% of us sane Cyclone fans have to go on defensive and say that this isn't our Super Bowl. It only takes one person making a statement like this to give the media the "soundbyte" they need in order to publish this in their crap paper. Never say this in my presence again.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.