Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

MBB recruiting section

I was just curious if the recruiting section was gonna come back to the website. I remember asking a while ago and jeremy posted that he wanted to bring it back but wasnt sure what capacity he wanted to do it in. I really liked that section and it's one of the parts that really brought me into the website. thanks

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: MBB recruiting section

It would be nice to have the information back especially with our interest in finding an 08 bigman or two

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

I'm guessing recruiting information will be pretty limited due to the new CF-CN relationship...

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 333
    Given: 184

I have three general comments about recruiting coverage:

1. The recruiting info isn't limited in any way for any reason but it's such a touchy area in regards to all the NCAA rules that surround it. With a full-time job and lot of other responsibilities on the site, it's hard for me to have on the record conversations about recruiting with sources on a constant enough basis to make it 100% accurate. I talk to sources about recruits all the time but it's nothing that I feel I have enough time to follow up on to report on it responsibly.

2. I've tried keeping most of the recruiting coverage to a high level and I'll continue to let other sites and services cover it full-time so I don't post something that could harm ISU in any way.

3. One thing I've learned is that a lot of the stuff that's posted elsewhere is against the wishes of the staffs and there have been numerous times in MBB and FB that it's ended up hurting our chances of getting a player and to me that goes beyond being a fan as it hurts our program we promise to help and protect. Even as a premium service, it often times causes harm behind the scenes.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134

3. One thing I've learned is that a lot of the stuff that's posted elsewhere is against the wishes of the staffs and there have been numerous times in MBB and FB that it's ended up hurting our chances of getting a player and to me that goes beyond being a fan as it hurts our program we promise to help and protect. Even as a premium service, it often times causes harm behind the scenes.
    If this is the case, by all means, say bye bye to the recruiting section. I'll take the stealth commits of Staiger and Garrett if that's how they need to come.

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

thanks for the update, I was just curious about it

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Not that I am disagreeing with you, but what are examples of how it could hurt the recruiting process?

Interest/offers from Iowa State can force another school to offer before they might wish to? Or has there been players so far below the radar that other schools actually find out about them from recruiting websites?

Again, if the staff wants to keep it quiet, I'm all fine with that. We find out more than enough about players after they commit anyways.

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't want to step on toes or get into anything so I'll keep my remarks somewhat vague...

There have been incidents in the past where the football staff was heavily recruiting some under the radar players that were all but locked up until reports went out that they were top prospects of the staff. Shortly after the stories went up, the recruits started getting calls from other schools that were then able to make a move and "steal" the commitment from ISU. This happened several times in football and at least once in basketball that I know of.

I'd love to report things that I hear but I just think it's best to let others have that responsibility and the baggage that goes along with it.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Like most fans I'm curious about potential recruits, but we'll all find out eventually who's coming and who isn't. Keep up the great job, Jeremy.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

Personally, the recruiting stuff doesn't grab my interest. It really is a crapshoot much of the time and I don't get into much of the talk about if we'll get this guy or that guy.

Once they're here, I'm all for discussing their potential with ISU, strengths, etc.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I have three general comments about recruiting coverage

One reason I don't buy this is b/c everyone other school across the country has multiple websites that report on recruiting. If it hurts us then it also hurts them. Its a double edged sword. Now a days its harder to fly under the radar in general w/ the way message boards are these days. Its certain peoples jobs to report on possible recruits, and it is the coaches job to out-recruit the opposing schools. The same goes for every other D1 school, not just ISU. Texas could steal a recruit from OU and Florida could steal a recruit from Cal. Do message boards have something to do w/ this? Occassionaly, but more times than not No.

Also do you think with our recent lack of success in basketball and football the BIGGER schools look at who we are recruiting and saying, "well if ISU is recruiting this player, then we should too!" I just don't see that to be the case

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well I guess you don't have to "buy it" but I have no reason to say something that's not true. If it wasn't for the reasons I gave, I'd have no problem posting anything and everything I know.

Anyways, I have no problem if people post recruiting info here or elsewhere, it's part of the experience of modern sports. I just can't partake in reporting the intel for the above given reasons.