Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 22

Tech Set-Up Suggestions for Home/Mobile Office Business

Any small business owners/work from home guys out there that have a good set up they like?

Currently using a BB Bold. I use my phone mostly for business, and especially email when travelling. I also travel with my PC laptop that has mobile 3G/4G adapter.

I have thought about switching to Droid, and have also thought about getting a tablet, but then, I'm like, gee do I really need to haul around 3 wireless devices walking around Chicago?

As a consultant, I have several stand alone email addresses that are client based that I route through gmail to my outlook at home, and on my BB.

Right now, usually the only time I don't like my BB/Laptop set up is when I need to look something up quickly, usually someone's website or my online project management system.

I thought maybe Droid/Laptop would remedy this. But I really like the BB keyboard for texting and emailing, and am so used to it, kind of nervous of the switch.

Though getting a tablet seems cool, what would I be losing by not carrying my laptop with me? The main thing that would freak me out is not having a keyboard, but I could get one of those roll up ones. Also, if I have my outlook set up on my laptop, then how do I sync my tablet to the laptop?

As for apps - I'm not an app freak, it's a business phone, but I use google maps, weather channel, FB, twitter, Ubersocial, etc. One thing I might like better is having tweetdeck on the Droid.

Questions?
    1. If I go droid, do I really need a tablet?
    2. If I go Torch for BB, the bigger screen, will web browsing be sufficient enough to not go Droid?
    3. The BB syncs really well with Outlook and I have no problems with it. Is the Droid/Outlook sync easy too? For multiple email addresses?

Really interested in hearing from someone that has made the BB to Droid conversion for their own business.

Thanks,

TRB

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Tech Set-Up Suggestions for Home/Mobile Office Business

I'll quickly answer one question. If you're routing all your email to gmail, there would be no syncing needed. A tablet (Android base) will sync with your gmail. This is how I work with my Android Incredible, Samsung 10.1 tablet, and home computer. The same for the calender function of google. Everything syncs already with android devices.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ok, to follow up more lengthy.

Between Android phone and Android tablet, the shear benefit I see is size. As a consultant, I would find it more professional to be able to review a spreadsheet, photos, videos, websites, or other documents on a tablet than a phone. The only reason to keep a laptop might be for production value. There are some programs that do not offer a tablet version and making real-time changes might prove difficult.

The only reason I would see you needing to have outlook would be for your home computer to pull the email from the database to have on your computer without opening a browser. Also, I know the program offers some great functionality that google doesn't provide (but that's outside the scope of your question). For the clear purpose of pulling, reading, and syncing email, android provides that with all it's devices.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 22

For the record, I never log into online gmail for my accounts. I do it all through outlook.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    For the record, I never log into online gmail for my accounts. I do it all through outlook.
    The key with android devices, especially to use the market place to download apps, etc., is that it requires you to login to your gmail account (much like outlook). So once you start utilizing your android device, you're already synced with your google content.

So once again, outlook only becomes useful on your PC if you're routing everything through gmail anyway.

Now if you're not using gmail (google) as a hub to store everything and push to outlook, then I can see your situation. But Android also allows Exchange accounts on the phone much like how you would setup outlook.