Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Direct TV - where to buy?

So I've been debating for months to make the switch from Mediacom to Direct TV and I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. Mediacom just costs way to flippin' much and will no longer negotiate with us on price (we tried twice the past 2 months with no success).

Anyway, I was at the fair this past weekend and went to the Direct TV booth at the varied industries building and they are supposedly having their best deal ever that you can only get at the fair. I signed up for it as they said it's not a contract, only a work order, and will call me some time this week to schedule a time for the install and if I change my mind I can cancel.

Here are the details:

Choice Extra package
    1 - HD/DVR receiver
    1- HD receiver (hooks up to the DVR so you can watch shows on either
    1 - standard receiver

Free Stars/HBO/showtime free for 3 months
    free NFL ticket
    and possible a few other free things

supposedly all receiver fees waived and the first 12 months is $51.99 plus tax. In year 2 it goes up $15.00/month. only fee is a $30.00 installation fee.

So tonight I go direct to the Direct TV website and price the same package and pretty much everything came out identical except no $30.00 install fee.

Lastly, I was at Menards today as well and notice when I was checking out they had a flyer in the bag that for pretty much the same package and pricing, you get a $100 Menards gift card.

I'm just wondering if there is a catch in any of this and if so, what is it? Where truly is the best place to buy Direct TV through?

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions anyone may be able to provide as I've pretty much been a cable guy my whole life so I know very little about the ins and outs of satellite and where they try to "screw" you.

As far as internet, still deciding whether to stick with Medicom or go to qwest.

Prospect
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Direct TV - where to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb21 View Post
    So I've been debating for months to make the switch from Mediacom to Direct TV and I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. Mediacom just costs way to flippin' much and will no longer negotiate with us on price (we tried twice the past 2 months with no success).

Anyway, I was at the fair this past weekend and went to the Direct TV booth at the varied industries building and they are supposedly having their best deal ever that you can only get at the fair. I signed up for it as they said it's not a contract, only a work order, and will call me some time this week to schedule a time for the install and if I change my mind I can cancel.

Here are the details:

Choice Extra package
    1 - HD/DVR receiver
    1- HD receiver (hooks up to the DVR so you can watch shows on either
    1 - standard receiver

Free Stars/HBO/showtime free for 3 months
    free NFL ticket
    and possible a few other free things

supposedly all receiver fees waived and the first 12 months is $51.99 plus tax. In year 2 it goes up $15.00/month. only fee is a $30.00 installation fee.

So tonight I go direct to the Direct TV website and price the same package and pretty much everything came out identical except no $30.00 install fee.

Lastly, I was at Menards today as well and notice when I was checking out they had a flyer in the bag that for pretty much the same package and pricing, you get a $100 Menards gift card.

I'm just wondering if there is a catch in any of this and if so, what is it? Where truly is the best place to buy Direct TV through?

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions anyone may be able to provide as I've pretty much been a cable guy my whole life so I know very little about the ins and outs of satellite and where they try to "screw" you.

As far as internet, still deciding whether to stick with Medicom or go to qwest.
    I have been looking to move from Medicom to DirectTV as well. I would make the move tomorrow, however, my biggest concern is that the Fox Sports Net channels are only on the Premier channel package ($84.00 per month for the first year). I believe there are three Cyclone football games already scheduled for broadcast on FSN this year.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

I made the switch from Mediacom to Direct TV in April. I went thru Satellite City who has stores in Urbandale and Ankeny. Satellite City | Des Moines Ankeny Dish Network and DirecTV dealer They should match any offer you can find and their installers are all their employees. They did a great job on the installation and stressed numerous times to call them direct if I ever had any problems, which to date I have had none. They also have a $50 rebate if you mail them a copy of your last Mediacom bill.

I liked the idea of going thru a local business who had physical stores that I could return hardware to if necessary.

Make sure you find a current Direct TV customer to give them when you sign up and you will each receive $10 a month off your bill for 10 months.

Last edited by cyclone83; 08-21-2011 at 11:25 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 1

I can give you my account number and we can get that discount. BTW, I just went through ordering online.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by tailgateonbeach View Post
    I have been looking to move from Medicom to DirectTV as well. I would make the move tomorrow, however, my biggest concern is that the Fox Sports Net channels are only on the Premier channel package ($84.00 per month for the first year). I believe there are three Cyclone football games already scheduled for broadcast on FSN this year.
    just add the sports pack...

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 454
    Given: 320

I have cox and are in the same boat. The cost is insane. I am considering keeping the cox internet but going to direct tv. On paper the cost savings would be about $30/month unless there is a catch I am not seeing. I called to see what deal cox was willing to make me and I got $23 of my bill for 6 months. Okay deal but not quite what I was looking for.

Walk On
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 357
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Every year I add the sports pack for football, and then just cancel it when football is over. You get all the Fox Sports channels. It is currently 12.99 a month, but they usually have a special during football season that knocks it down to 8.99 a month.

Well worth the money, you get all the Cyclone games, as well as a TON of other college games all season.

I also agree with other posters, go through Satellite City. If you ever have a problem, they will fix it the same day.

If you want to watch ISU play, its the only way to go.

Prospect
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Has anyone purchased Direct TV recently?

Also, does Direct TV tend to have a lot of "hidden" fees tacked on at the end of the bill?

All-Star
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 526
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

Also, does Direct TV tend to have a lot of "hidden" fees tacked on at the end of the bill?
    I switched in May. Have not seen any "hidden" fees yet. My only complaint with Directv was that I didn't wait until the NFL Sunday ticket was included in the start up.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Satellite City will put in writing exactly what your monthly bill will be in year 1, 2, and 3.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 451
    Given: 657

I've been with mediacom to Directv to mediacom to Directv and here is what I can tell you.

Make sure to get everything you want RIGHT NOW. If you're even considering adding another TV, get the box now. Once you're under contract you have to kiss there ***, pay money, and extend your contract to get another box installed.

Even though they have the whole house solution where one standard receiver can watch recordings on your main DVR I would but a HD DVR at every location. You probably can get all these DVR's for free.

Run ethernet to all your DVR's.

Make sure they put your duplex box (or whatever it's called) somewhere easy to access.

Get the number of the installer. Make sure they have everything complete before they leave.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by State43 View Post
    I have cox and are in the same boat. The cost is insane. I am considering keeping the cox internet but going to direct tv. On paper the cost savings would be about $30/month unless there is a catch I am not seeing. I called to see what deal cox was willing to make me and I got $23 of my bill for 6 months. Okay deal but not quite what I was looking for.
    Check with Cox to see if there is an additional fee for going internet only. I just switched from Mediacom to Dish a few weeks back. When I called Mediacom to dump just the cable, my internet price went up $15/month because of the non-bundle status. Funny, they failed to mention that when I called and gave them a fair chance to keep me as a customer. I'm still money ahead each month, but it's not near the savings I had expected. If there were any other internet service available, I'd tell them to get their cable off my house.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I've been with mediacom to Directv to mediacom to Directv and here is what I can tell you.

Make sure to get everything you want RIGHT NOW. If you're even considering adding another TV, get the box now. Once you're under contract you have to kiss there ***, pay money, and extend your contract to get another box installed.

Even though they have the whole house solution where one standard receiver can watch recordings on your main DVR I would but a HD DVR at every location. You probably can get all these DVR's for free.

Run ethernet to all your DVR's.

Make sure they put your duplex box (or whatever it's called) somewhere easy to access.

Get the number of the installer. Make sure they have everything complete before they leave.
    No reason to run ethernet to all your dvr's anymore. You can multiplex Ethernet onto the cable. You just need a single wire multiswitch. If you get whole house viewing, that is the way they set it up.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 451
    Given: 657

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    No reason to run ethernet to all your dvr's anymore. You can multiplex Ethernet onto the cable. You just need a single wire multiswitch. If you get whole house viewing, that is the way they set it up.
    Good call, it's been awhile since I upgraded my equipment.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 392
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Good call, it's been awhile since I upgraded my equipment.
    Call and order whole house viewing, and then they have to replace the multiswitch. It is great watching something recorded in the basement in your bedroom. Plus with that setup you only have to run 1 cable to each DVR instead of 2 now. And there is 1 cable from the dish to the switch, so it looks cleaner outside.

Last edited by brianhos; 08-22-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775