Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rookie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Wish Capello were here!

Tonight just goes to show that anything can happen on a College Football roster. I'm very happy that Steele is the starter and I thought he would be since the moment he was in ISU's sights. I'm also pleased that Jared has made great progress this off season and has established himself as a solid number two. The Tiller situation is just sad, but it happens all over college football. What is most disappointing to me is the Capello situation. The drop off from Jared to Sam Richardson is going to be pretty steep, and it would be a lot better if we had Capello to push Barnett and Steele at number three. Who knows what kind of injuries or other things might happen during the course of a season, but it should be a lesson to anyone out there that if you make a committment, put in the hard work (both on the field and in the classroom) and devote yourself to the team then odds are things are going to work out pretty well for you if you have the talent. I liked what I saw from Capello in the Utah game. He was a small bright spot in a pretty sad game. I looked forward to what he could do in an ISU uniform in the future. It is just a shame we don't have him here as extra insurance and to help push this team to be the best it could be.

Honor before Victory

Rookie
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Wish Capello were here!

Great point...these players bail as soon as it looks like they aint going to see the field. Stick it out, you made the commitment...your an injury / academic issue from being on the field. Just because it doen't look like you are going to play, maybe instead of transferring bust your butt and make it so they have to play you.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 102

I wish he were still here as well. Remember when Phil Bates took his ball and went home? AA was promptly injured the following week and Bates would have been the starter for probably the next 3 games after that.

You just never know when you'll get the call to come in and help your team.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 350

Being 3rd team QB or going to a smaller school to start... While I always want guys to stick with ISU... I totally get his decision and wish him all the best.

Walk On
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 488
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    I wish he were still here as well. Remember when Phil Bates took his ball and went home? AA was promptly injured the following week and Bates would have been the starter for probably the next 3 games after that.

You just never know when you'll get the call to come in and help your team.
    Capello did manage the team great when he was out there on the field.
    So, I agree,
    I wish he was here.

I am glad Jantz will be the starter.
    Hopefully he will not get hurt.
    With as much as he runs, he will be lucky not to get injured at some point.

I would be curious to see how fast Richardson and Barnett improves, and glad that we have them to count on.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,863
    Given: 1,594

Hmmm, he's only going to have so many years to play. He was in 4th place in the competition, with Richardson not yet on campus.

He evaluated his options and wanted to maximize his playing time while he still had it. Nothing wrong with that.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CDN_Tailgater View Post
    Great point...these players bail as soon as it looks like they aint going to see the field. Stick it out, you made the commitment...your an injury / academic issue from being on the field. Just because it doen't look like you are going to play, maybe instead of transferring bust your butt and make it so they have to play you.
    I think it is, in part, a reflection of the quality of the program. Not as a knock to ISU, but there are plenty of schools around this country, ND, USC, UT, Florida, Mich, OSU where the 3rd stringers stick it out because it is still better to say they sat on the bench on a national powerhouse (even at 3rd string) who went to a big bowl game than take their chances somewhere else. Those 3rd stringers are usually the work horses that give their scouting teams, film rooms and program the edge. I'm not sure if Capello was ever going to be a dedicated work horse in that vain for the program (based strictly on the rumors I heard), but for guys like Nealey, or Sam Richardson, Grant Rohrach or even Luke Knott, they should be able to look at this situation and realize their place on the roster isn't as daunting as it may appear.

I just hope that CPR and staff can use this as a teachable moment for everyone in the program to keep working hard and dedicating their efforts to the team. I'm absolutely confident that they (the coaching staff) are building that spirit in Ames that the National powerhouse programs have, and if it can continue, the wins, respect and status will follow so we don't have to worry about Capello's leaving.

Now Sam Richardson, it is time for you to show the Cyclone fanbase that you won't be a drop off and are every bit as talented as Capello heading forward.

As for Tiller and Jennert, it sucks and I don't want to get too down on the guys. I know they are still young and learning a LOT about life, and I just hope that their contributions to the team will be felt this year somehow. When 2012 rolls around, I truly hope they can difference makers on this team and atone for their mistakes as better students, athletes, and teammates.

Honor before Victory

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 20

Jantz still has Barnett to push him, and I'm not sure just how good Capello was anyways. He came into that Utah game near the end aftr most of their starters had been pulled. I think Richardson has a pretty big upside and will will be somewhere inthe mix next season.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 13

I agree. What's with people saying you're supposed to be loyal to a program when its evident you won't be seeing the field? I'm all about enjoying life, and since you only get one opportunity to play ball at that age you gotta make the most of your chances.....which sometimes means being realistic.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,479
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 5

I also wish his dad was here telling us how much he was overlooked as a starting 1A QB in high school now that he's not playing at that level.

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 218
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by ljhlax View Post
    I think it is, in part, a reflection of the quality of the program. Not as a knock to ISU, but there are plenty of schools around this country, ND, USC, UT, Florida, Mich, OSU where the 3rd stringers stick it out because it is still better to say they sat on the bench on a national powerhouse (even at 3rd string) who went to a big bowl game than take their chances somewhere else. Those 3rd stringers are usually the work horses that give their scouting teams, film rooms and program the edge. I'm not sure if Capello was ever going to be a dedicated work horse in that vain for the program (based strictly on the rumors I heard), but for guys like Nealey, or Sam Richardson, Grant Rohrach or even Luke Knott, they should be able to look at this situation and realize their place on the roster isn't as daunting as it may appear.

I just hope that CPR and staff can use this as a teachable moment for everyone in the program to keep working hard and dedicating their efforts to the team. I'm absolutely confident that they (the coaching staff) are building that spirit in Ames that the National powerhouse programs have, and if it can continue, the wins, respect and status will follow so we don't have to worry about Capello's leaving.

Now Sam Richardson, it is time for you to show the Cyclone fanbase that you won't be a drop off and are every bit as talented as Capello heading forward.

As for Tiller and Jennert, it sucks and I don't want to get too down on the guys. I know they are still young and learning a LOT about life, and I just hope that their contributions to the team will be felt this year somehow. When 2012 rolls around, I truly hope they can difference makers on this team and atone for their mistakes as better students, athletes, and teammates.

I am sorry people Capello was not talented enough to play in the Big 12. Get over it, does everyone that thinks he belonged on a Big 12 roster a member of his family?

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    I am sorry people Capello was not talented enough to play in the Big 12. Get over it, does everyone that thinks he belonged on a Big 12 roster a member of his family?
    I don't disagree that Capello may not have starting Big 12 talent, but I know that he had a high FB IQ, better athleticism than any 3rd string QB we've had in the past 10 years and has 2 years of the offense under his belt.

Now in 2 years, do I think Sam Richardson QB will be much better than Capello? Heck yes, but it is a progression, takes time and is a bigger adjustment than most of us armchairs really think it is. That is why I really wish we had Capello this year.

I look at what happened to Matt Ta'au'fuao last year and the position we were in during the Iowa game.

Games like Colorado, UNI, K-State and Utah were all games we were looking to our number 2 QB to play an important roll, and we were always a play away from relying on a 3rd stringer to finish the game. I don't doubt SR QB will be a quality guy on our depth, but in 13 days I don't think he is going to be anywhere close to where Capello would have been 13 days from now. That is why I said it and that's why I'll stick to it.

Honor before Victory

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 218
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by ljhlax View Post
    I don't disagree that Capello may not have starting Big 12 talent, but I know that he had a high FB IQ, better athleticism than any 3rd string QB we've had in the past 10 years and has 2 years of the offense under his belt.

Now in 2 years, do I think Sam Richardson QB will be much better than Capello? Heck yes, but it is a progression, takes time and is a bigger adjustment than most of us armchairs really think it is. That is why I really wish we had Capello this year.

I look at what happened to Matt Ta'au'fuao last year and the position we were in during the Iowa game.

Games like Colorado, UNI, K-State and Utah were all games we were looking to our number 2 QB to play an important roll, and we were always a play away from relying on a 3rd stringer to finish the game. I don't doubt SR QB will be a quality guy on our depth, but in 13 days I don't think he is going to be anywhere close to where Capello would have been 13 days from now. That is why I said it and that's why I'll stick to it.

He didnt deserve a scholly at a Big 12 school. Division 2 is his calling, thats my point. I will look at it realistically instead of type 3-4 paragraphs on how you want to justify his value to this program.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Being 3rd team QB or going to a smaller school to start... While I always want guys to stick with ISU... I totally get his decision and wish him all the best.
    +1

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

I don't want to bash anyone, but in a worst case scenario, would it make us all feel better to have Capello as our third stringer right now instead of a true freshman? Probably, but Capello saw the writing on the wall and he made a decision that was best for him in terms of garnering playing time. He was never going to be "the guy" here and third string was likely as high as he was ever going to get.

Both parties are better off. Capello has a chance to play at a level appropriate for him and we don't have a scholarship athlete rotting away on the bench for three more years and can use that scholarship to give to a guy that will actually see the field. Let's leave it at that.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone