Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

A Peek into the Future.

I thought this man's take on "the cloud" was amusing. Here's the link; scroll down to the comment titled "OE not OS will matter...".
    A world run by both Google and Apple with no Microsoft in sight. Looks like Linux and Unix won out over M$ even though both systems are forks of the originals. Do I really need a jimlad here?

P.J. Farmer rocks!

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Re: A Peek into the Future.

For those who are lazy, here's the quoted text [sic]:
    OE not OS will matter....

I hope I am wrong but the OS will only matter to the few in the cloud. It is why the only benchmark comparisons between mobile os's is some weak browser comparisons. People point to feature lists which are really 3rd party apps. They will need to coin a new phrase...OE Operating Environment.

Fast foward to the near future with a rare moment on the porch between neighbors...
    "Barney: Hey Fred, so what OE are you fully committed too?
    Fred: I do Google OE, it just all works. Remember the days when I had to search for something with a keyboard? I love that Google knows when my vacation is every year and has already booked me on the best cruise and properly shares my video with my circle of close friends that I shared them with last year."
    Barney: "Hey I never saw your cruise video!"
    Fred: "-koff- Sorry, getting a cold, don't know why Google's taking so long with sending me the pills, they know my up to the minute health condition with my Google Rolex that came free with Google implants.ummmmmm what about you?"
    Barney: Oh my kid works at AppleSoft and says I won't be able to materialize in his living room and catch a flick with him unless I went that route."
    Fred: "I hear Ned across the street there is running his own illegal "March of the Penguins" OE with actual computers. What a nerd, holding on to the past like that just so he can save on his daily OE utility bill. He can't even break away to come up an enjoy the air once month like we do."
    Barney: "He better watch himself, they can tell now just by your power draw and how little information you are giving up if you are "tweaking" things yourself. He'll have to get his access to the world through that probation service and I hear you still have to touch a screen!"
    Fred: "Doesn't your boy develop things at AppleSoft?"
    Barney: "Yeah, He said he got a promotion after spending the whole day nodding and shaking his head at the his AppleSoftTV, so that the company can can give iMoney credits on their bill, through powering down and up your iWipe at night by reading your iBladdars and iColons."
    Fred:"Ahhh, wish I could save G's* on my Google BMWM** through using less GW's*** You must be really proud of that innovative son of yours.."
    Barney: "I knew when he was a little boy and tied all those straws together so that he could sip on an ice cold iCoke from the iFridge without getting off his iDonut, he had innovation written all over him."

* G = Slang for a Google Buck
    **BMWM = Bowel Movement Wiping Mechanism
    ***GW = Used to be the standard Gigawatt, but Google successfully aquired the standard as GoogleWatt for utility bills. A constantly fluxuating power measurement that coincides with Google's stock index

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 91

Re: A Peek into the Future.

Cloud will have a ton of advantages, but it really comes down to your preference to having someone outside your company be responsible for the security of your data. That terrifies me to a degree.