Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 499

First Marathon

I've just committed to running my first marathon. I'm not in fantastic shape, but I'm going to start the Hal Higdon running program to get my mileage up. I picked up a pair of Brooks running shoes this spring, so I think I'm all right in that department, I think, but, as mentioned, this is my first marathon, soooo...

Any tips? Anything I should try to do in training? Anything I should pick up?

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

Re: First Marathon

I am doing the same found a 16 week program online, only 3 runs a week, this is week 8 and it is going good so far... Which one are you doing?

Eternal Student
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,395
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 499

Surf City, in Huntington Beach, CA--a few people I worked with at a kids cancer camp in Montana this summer are doing it, too. We're doing it as a fundraiser for ALS research, as one guy that's been on staff with me the past few years is probably only a few months away from succumbing in his fight with it...

The Hal Higdon program is 18 weeks, I believe, so that means by the first week of October, I need to be at a 6-8 miles-comfortably-to really get started and into it well, I feel.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 73

Don't discount the importance of the long run. I have run competitively at shorter distances (5k is my favorite, also a 20K trail run every year) and you can't make up for not getting the distance in.

I did my first marathon this past May (Oklahoma City). Conditions weren't great, but I finished, which was Goal 1! The training program I used focused on running 6 days a week with speed work, marathon pace work, and long run every week.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged! Marathon training can get tedious and it can seem like the only thing you are doing is running, eating, and sleeping (and never enough sleep, it seems at times!). Stay motivated by scheduling some weekend races to help break up the monotony of training and you'll be fine.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 28

while it's still hot out, try to run early in the morning, especially on your long runs. There is a world of difference between 75 degrees at 7 am than 90 at 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
    If you are doing a program where you are only running 3-5 times a week, make sure to do a lot of stretching or very light aerobic activity on your days off to flush the system and let it recover.
    When you start doing your 12 mile plus runs, either drop a bottle of water off at the turnaround point or do two 6 mile loops around your starting point so that you can rehydrate in the middle of your run.
    Try to find someone to run with. Running alone really starts to suck if you do it all the time, unless you cherish your alone time.
    Tape your nipples if they chafe. Seriously.

Addict
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 73

Quote Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
    while it's still hot out, try to run early in the morning, especially on your long runs. There is a world of difference between 75 degrees at 7 am than 90 at 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
    If you are doing a program where you are only running 3-5 times a week, make sure to do a lot of stretching or very light aerobic activity on your days off to flush the system and let it recover.
    When you start doing your 12 mile plus runs, either drop a bottle of water off at the turnaround point or do two 6 mile loops around your starting point so that you can rehydrate in the middle of your run.
    Try to find someone to run with. Running alone really starts to suck if you do it all the time, unless you cherish your alone time.
    Tape your nipples if they chafe. Seriously.
    This is the worst part about training in Houston. 80 degrees in the morning, 100 degrees after work. Your social life will suffer the night before your long runs, that's for sure! Also, make sure to do your long run on the same day of your marathon - i.e. if it's a Sunday marathon, do your long runs on Sundays. It will definitely help you out psychologically to be running at approximately the same time and day your marathon is.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

- you have the good shoes part covered so that's a good start
    - all of your training doesn't need to be running...do some swimming, biking, rollerblading, etc. to work out but let some things recover
    - eat well and appropriately for workouts
    - consider getting a waist band to carry water and a granola bar or something for long runs
    - try to run in places you know people when you get into the longer ones so you aren't 5 miles away from home with cramps and no one to get help from (carrying a phone does the same)
    - don't train alone...find someone to run or bike with you or something
    - listen to your body...if you're hurting, take a day off (realize the difference between being "hurt" and being "sore/stiff"
    - drink water, water, and more water
    - enjoy what you're doing. Smile when you finish workouts. If it becomes a "chore" to train you're going to lose sight of the fun and hate what you're doing.
    - don't always run on pavement
    - figure out the course...if it's a hilly marathon, make sure to practice on hills. If it starts flat, gets hilly, then flattens out, tailor your training runs to mimic that.
    - don't set some wicked goal (I want to run this marathon in x:xx:xx)...get yourself into a position to finish the 1st one

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 288

Find someone to run with on the long runs.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 421
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 28

This is the worst part about training in Houston. 80 degrees in the morning, 100 degrees after work. Your social life will suffer the night before your long runs, that's for sure! Also, make sure to do your long run on the same day of your marathon - i.e. if it's a Sunday marathon, do your long runs on Sundays. It will definitely help you out psychologically to be running at approximately the same time and day your marathon is.

not necessarily, it was quite entertaining last year to go out partying and tell everyone that you had to get up and run 14 miles the next morning. And running cures hangovers like no other.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by no2cyclones View Post
    I've just committed to running my first marathon. I'm not in fantastic shape, but I'm going to start the Hal Higdon running program to get my mileage up. I picked up a pair of Brooks running shoes this spring, so I think I'm all right in that department, I think, but, as mentioned, this is my first marathon, soooo...

Any tips? Anything I should try to do in training? Anything I should pick up?
    Body glide and band aids. Are you running one this fall or next year? If it is this fall I hope you are in your early 20's because marathon training is brutal on your body.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I just did my first one at the beginning of the summer and echo what everyone else said. The long runs are the most important thing. If I could go back and train all over again I would have done more interval work.

I did all my training alone, find a comfort route. I found a three mile loop in Ames that was my staple. I would just do a bunch of those loops depending on the mileage. It is an easy way to play tricks on your mind. But to each their own.

Happy Training!

Eternal Optimist

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 288

About 10 years ago I ran a ton. I ran a bunch of half marathons, 20K's, 10K's, etc. I finally decided that I wanted to do a marathon. I decided on Grandma's in Duluth and followed Hal's program.

Looking back I guess I'm happy I did it but it totally ruined running for me for about 2 years. It really didn't take that much work to run a 1/2 marathon. The marathon itself wasn't so bad but the training pretty much took all of my time for about 4 months. On top of everything else I found that I started eating a lot more while training and then when I stopped my eating continued.

I'm not saying not to do it because I'm happy I did but it really does suck 4 months out of your life. I much prefer running events like Dam to Dam. Part of the reason may because I'm a Clydesdale and running 26.2 miles and being fat doesn't do good things to your body.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

I'm doing my first Marathon in Chicago in October... Last week was my 15 mile training run, the longest of my life... I've been using the Hal Higdon program and it as really helped on the long runs, but for some reason the "medium long" runs midweek have been aweful... My knees and hips are really starting to feel it, but I am getting pumped as October 9th approaches

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno