Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 550
    Given: 349

HP in Disarray

HP halts WebOS business, spins off PC unit | Business Tech - CNET News

HP said Thursday that it will discontinue its WebOS operations as the company cut its outlook for the next two quarters.
    The company said it will discontinue operations for WebOS devices, specifically the TouchPad and WebOS phones. And that WebOS unit will cost HP some dough to discontinue. HP will also spin off its PC unit.
    HP said that it will take a hit to fiscal 2011 earnings of $1.16 a share to $1.23 a share as it restructures and shuts down WebOS devices and related operations. There were signs that TouchPad sales were bleak, but a complete shutdown of WebOS operations was unexpected.
    HP's statement held a bevy of items for customers and shareholders to ponder. First, HP's customers--and anyone who bought a TouchPad--wonder what the potential sale or discontinuation of the unit will mean. Shareholders have to consider the spinoff of the PC unit as well as a lower-than-expected outlook for the rest of the year.
    This must be TAM's fault too.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 323
    Given: 135

Re: HP in Disarray

Somehow not surprised. There were good things about WebOS, but it was trying to get into a market cornered by Apple, Google, and to a lesser extent Microsoft.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 0

I have had WebOS since the launch day of the original Pre and I will say I am not surprised. WebOS is a great OS but the people in charge of it have been pathetic. Since day 1 they have been breaking promises and telling flat out lies. Started with Palm and NOTHING changed with HP. You can't put a good OS on crappy hardware and then wait months for it to become obsolete to release it.

They did nothing to bring in new customers and did everything to drive away their current customers.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 962
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 4

I have a pre as well and I am holding out for the i5, but i will probably look at phones with hdmi too.

I liked my pre- pretty easy to navigate around, and I liked the card system for multitasking in the home view- something that the i4 doesnt have... but when the only app that I had heard of was angry birds...wow. NOBODY was porting anything into webOS.

It didnt matter that the phone was under powered- you couldnt run stuff that every else had.

I welcome my first apple product in the coming months.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 702
    Given: 481

Quote Originally Posted by Me State View Post
    I have had WebOS since the launch day of the original Pre and I will say I am not surprised. WebOS is a great OS but the people in charge of it have been pathetic. Since day 1 they have been breaking promises and telling flat out lies. Started with Palm and NOTHING changed with HP. You can't put a good OS on crappy hardware and then wait months for it to become obsolete to release it.

They did nothing to bring in new customers and did everything to drive away their current customers.
    HP breaking promises and telling lies? SAY IT ISN'T SO!

I know this has little to do with the current article, but I swore off HP when they were, from what I can tell, the only computer company out there that refused to replace defective NVIDIA GPU chips that fried from overheating. They would all fry after warranty expired, so HP would make you pay to extend the warranty before they would replace the motherboard/GPU, or they would make you pay full price for a new motherboard/GPU. The kicker - they were using "refurbished" boards that, according to users, would last about 3 months before they fried again.

Did HP resolve this problem? Probably (it's why most of their laptops now use ATI GPUs instead of NVIDIA). However, the absolute crappy customer service and policy has made me swear not to buy HP again.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

thats what happens when you let a woman run your company.
    I kid.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    HP breaking promises and telling lies? SAY IT ISN'T SO!

I know this has little to do with the current article, but I swore off HP when they were, from what I can tell, the only computer company out there that refused to replace defective NVIDIA GPU chips that fried from overheating. They would all fry after warranty expired, so HP would make you pay to extend the warranty before they would replace the motherboard/GPU, or they would make you pay full price for a new motherboard/GPU. The kicker - they were using "refurbished" boards that, according to users, would last about 3 months before they fried again.

Did HP resolve this problem? Probably (it's why most of their laptops now use ATI GPUs instead of NVIDIA). However, the absolute crappy customer service and policy has made me swear not to buy HP again.
    I didn't know that about HP. My comment was for Palm and HP though. Since day 1 of WebOS. Never changed.