Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    creightonclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    682
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Rockies minor leaguer cut after testing positive for HGH

    Mike Jacobs of Colorado Rockies tests positive for HGH, banned 50 games - ESPN

    Ironic since the Rockies had more (by far) players listed in the Mitchell Report than any other team...



  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 9,933, Level: 29
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ames,IA
    Posts
    433
    Points
    9,933
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rockies minor leaguer cut after testing positive for HGH

    this could get interesting



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 144,774, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,606
    Points
    144,774
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 11

    Re: Rockies minor leaguer cut after testing positive for HGH

    and crazy since you basically have to have taken HGH THAT DAY to get busted... It's out of your system in 36 hours. That's why the NFL's proposed HGH testing is such a joke and a PR stunt as it wouldn't be tested for in the offseason.



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 274,427, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    16,333
    Points
    274,427
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 7

    Re: Rockies minor leaguer cut after testing positive for HGH

    Mike Jacobs had a couple of nice years with the Marlins, he has fallen pretty far since then. Probably why he took HGH in the first place.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 160,583, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    GMackey32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames Via Cedar Falls
    Posts
    4,951
    Points
    160,583
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 19

    Re: Rockies minor leaguer cut after testing positive for HGH

    What he doesn't realize is that HGH won't help him hit that curve ball that has plague his game for years...


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

    So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 33,861, Level: 56
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    DurangoCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Posts
    1,707
    Points
    33,861
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

    Re: Rockies minor leaguer cut after testing positive for HGH

    Quote Originally Posted by creightonclone View Post
    Mike Jacobs of Colorado Rockies tests positive for HGH, banned 50 games - ESPN

    Ironic since the Rockies had more (by far) players listed in the Mitchell Report than any other team...

    You're wrong (by far). Most of the dirt the dug up was on the Mets and Yankees because the got Radomski and McNamee to talk. Great post otherwise.

    The Mitchell Report: Name by Name - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com#

    Players listed in the Mitchell Commission report - MLB - ESPN



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,013, Level: 63
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 937
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,650
    Points
    42,013
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 10

    Re: Rockies minor leaguer cut after testing positive for HGH

    Quote Originally Posted by GMackey32 View Post
    What he doesn't realize is that HGH won't help him hit that curve ball that has plague his game for years...
    Not necessarily true.

    One of the keys to hitting a curve ball is to cut the reaction time between the decision point and getting the bat head through the zone. Delaying the decision point allows one to allow the ball to travel further and not be fooled as easily on the slower speed of a breaking ball.

    Most decent hitters can put a good swing on a curve ball when they know it is coming. Gearing up for a fast ball and trying to adjust mid-swing is what gets guys in trouble. If performance enhancing substances can improve reaction time, they can impact many parts of one's game.



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 160,583, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    GMackey32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames Via Cedar Falls
    Posts
    4,951
    Points
    160,583
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 19

    Re: Rockies minor leaguer cut after testing positive for HGH

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Not necessarily true.

    One of the keys to hitting a curve ball is to cut the reaction time between the decision point and getting the bat head through the zone. Delaying the decision point allows one to allow the ball to travel further and not be fooled as easily on the slower speed of a breaking ball.

    Most decent hitters can put a good swing on a curve ball when they know it is coming. Gearing up for a fast ball and trying to adjust mid-swing is what gets guys in trouble. If performance enhancing substances can improve reaction time, they can impact many parts of one's game.

    That's a big if. Plus, I was commenting more on the fact on his own inability to hit a major league curveball. If you've ever seen him swing at a breaking pitch, you'll know what I'm talking about.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

    So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 202,790, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,015
    Points
    202,790
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 42

    Re: Rockies minor leaguer cut after testing positive for HGH

    Quote Originally Posted by GMackey32 View Post
    That's a big if. Plus, I was commenting more on the fact on his own inability to hit a major league curveball. If you've ever seen him swing at a breaking pitch, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Not in Barry Bonds' case. It even improved his vision and ability to pick up pitches.

    In Mike Jacobs' case? He's a lost cause. Dude is awful, still can't believe the Royals traded Leo Nunez for him.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM