Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 46

Iowa arrogance from an Iowa player

Caught a couple minutes of the local news sportscast and they had a little bit on the ISU-Iowa week.

I did not catch the player's name, so no idea who it was, but one of the Iowa players said something like, "[The rivalry] is huge. It's always big. Especially for them. I know they really look forward to this game."

This comment, of course, falls under the "Iowa State's Super Bowl" theory, which is based on the belief that the reason Iowa State players, coaches, administrators, and fans get hyper jacked up for this game is because beating the clearly superior, powerful, elite Hawkeyes would just be such the realization of an impossible dream that we'll all wet our pants, cry with joy, and not sleep for weeks. David beats Goliath!

I always make it a point to tell every Hawkeye fan who even remotely lays this BS on me that the reason I so want to beat Iowa is to hopefully SHUT THEM AND THE HAWKEYE-LOVING MEDIA IN IOWA UP for at least one week, if not a full year. It's eating a daily dose of delusional, arrogant, "It's great to be a Hawkeye" mania that fuels my desire to beat them in every sport the two schools meet in.

It's not about one shining moment of overachievement...it's about getting some peace and a few days of sanity.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 697
    Given: 479

Re: Iowa arrogance from an Iowa player

Quote Originally Posted by Prone2Clone View Post
    Caught a couple minutes of the local news sportscast and they had a little bit on the ISU-Iowa week.

I did not catch the player's name, so no idea who it was, but one of the Iowa players said something like, "[The rivalry] is huge. It's always big. Especially for them. I know they really look forward to this game."

This comment, of course, falls under the "Iowa State's Super Bowl" theory, which is based on the belief that the reason Iowa State players, coaches, administrators, and fans get hyper jacked up for this game is because beating the clearly superior, powerful, elite Hawkeyes would just be such the realization of an impossible dream that we'll all wet our pants, cry with joy, and not sleep for weeks. David beats Goliath!

I always make it a point to tell every Hawkeye fan who even remotely lays this BS on me that the reason I so want to beat Iowa is to hopefully SHUT THEM AND THE HAWKEYE-LOVING MEDIA IN IOWA UP for at least one week, if not a full year. It's eating a daily dose of delusional, arrogant, "It's great to be a Hawkeye" mania that fuels my desire to beat them in every sport the two schools meet in.

It's not about one shining moment of overachievement...it's about getting some peace and a few days of sanity.
    I'm going to have to disagree - because nothing could ever get any from that group you listed to shut up, including duct tape, rope, kendo sticks, and flogging them with said objects for sheer stupidity. Rather, it's kinda fun to hear which excuse they're gonna come up with next as to why they lost, why they are still contenders for a BCS bid, etc.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

This game really is viewed differently by the two sides. Almost every rivalry has ups and downs, but usually is close to even through history. The Iowa State / Iowa rivalry is very one-sided. The hawkeyes do not understand why we feel the way we do. They can't possibly have a clue. Until we are ranked in the top 20 for a decade and run the score up on them with our 1st string still in the game ahead 56-0; they won't get it. Finally, when their spirit is almost completely broken, and they break through for a win after several years of gloom; and that feeling of pure joy flows through their body, and they can tell us to stick it. Then, and only then, will they start to understand. At this point, the Iowa State / Iowa game will mean as much to them as it does to us.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Prone2Clone View Post

Actually I couldn't agree anymore. For years we were kicked while we were down, and now that we stand a fighting chance...it feels pretty good.

We actually stood back up, knocked them in the face a few times and now look who's tired.