Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2

Sports/Muscle Car Market

I'm young, single, have a good job, and need a toy to spend some money on. I'm not talking about a woman here, although women and automobiles share one common denominator: money pit.

Anyways... I would like to have a nice ride. What I'm struggling with inside is what do I really want. I do know that whatever I decide on, it's going to have some "get-up-and-go" to it. FYI, I am a GM guy at heart.

I like the new Chevy Camaros. I like the look and the 426 HP V8 with a 6-speed manual transmission sounds like a blast to drive. A new car like this would have many more creature features than an older one. The $35-40k sticker for an SS model isn't too bad for what you get. The 2012 ZL1 will probably be $50k, but is going to be sweeet. I like the idea of being the first and only owner of my first muscle car by buying new.

Another contender is a Corvette, but not a brand new one (but maybe a Z06 from the mid to early 2000's). There are a wide variety of years of this model that I like, and the price range varies quite a bit too. I like the idea of buying a used car that is in great condition for a lower price and using leftover money for upgrades, and I think there are a lot of possibilities in this category.

Going along with the idea for the Corvette, I also really like old muscle cars from the 60's and early 70's. Chevelle's, Camaro's, GTO's, and even 67-72 C10 pickups. Again, lots of possibilities here to buy cheap and build up, but time in the shop is time not on the road or track enjoying it.

Sooo... I'm just kind of throwing this out there to get some people's suggestions who have been through this before. PLEASE tell me about your ride's to give me inspiration. I don't care if it's not GM. And this thread is worthless without PICS!

Prospect
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Sports/Muscle Car Market

I'm married with kids (ultimate money pit). This is the only toy car I can afford:

That's right. A 1967 Galaxie 500 inherited from Grandpa. Watch out, it's a street sleeper with 289 cubic inches of pure power
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	752.0 KB 
ID:	9774  

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    I'm young, single, have a good job, and need a toy to spend some money on. I'm not talking about a woman here, although women and automobiles share one common denominator: money pit.

Anyways... I would like to have a nice ride. What I'm struggling with inside is what do I really want. I do know that whatever I decide on, it's going to have some "get-up-and-go" to it. FYI, I am a GM guy at heart.

I like the new Chevy Camaros. I like the look and the 426 HP V8 with a 6-speed manual transmission sounds like a blast to drive. A new car like this would have many more creature features than an older one. The $35-40k sticker for an SS model isn't too bad for what you get. The 2012 ZL1 will probably be $50k, but is going to be sweeet. I like the idea of being the first and only owner of my first muscle car by buying new.

Another contender is a Corvette, but not a brand new one (but maybe a Z06 from the mid to early 2000's). There are a wide variety of years of this model that I like, and the price range varies quite a bit too. I like the idea of buying a used car that is in great condition for a lower price and using leftover money for upgrades, and I think there are a lot of possibilities in this category.

Going along with the idea for the Corvette, I also really like old muscle cars from the 60's and early 70's. Chevelle's, Camaro's, GTO's, and even 67-72 C10 pickups. Again, lots of possibilities here to buy cheap and build up, but time in the shop is time not on the road or track enjoying it.

Sooo... I'm just kind of throwing this out there to get some people's suggestions who have been through this before. PLEASE tell me about your ride's to give me inspiration. I don't care if it's not GM. And this thread is worthless without PICS!

BMW ZM! Used or new.......doesn't matter. It's a little higher priced than the cars you mentioned but IMHO...once you drive one of these...it's difficult to be satified with anything else. Sorry....no pics. Looks like a Z4....with the guts of an M.

Last edited by CYEATHAWK; 08-17-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

A used Subaru STI + being able to retire at age 50 sounds good to me.

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Realistically... for this first purchase I would like to stay below $50k.

CYEATHAWK are you talking about a Z4 M?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Toy car only? Go vintage. Will be a headache at times, but somehow that makes the experience better.

Daily driver? Newer the better. Don't want headaches on way to work, nor the upkeep.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    Toy car only? Go vintage. Will be a headache at times, but somehow that makes the experience better.

Daily driver? Newer the better. Don't want headaches on way to work, nor the upkeep.
    No, definitely not toy car only. I want to drive it, but it will not be a daily driver for sure. I am lucky enough to have a work truck that I drove home, and I will keep my old pickup because well... it is handy to have a truck (can't use work truck for personal use).

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No, definitely not toy car only. I want to drive it, but it will not be a daily driver for sure. I am lucky enough to have a work truck that I drove home, and I will keep my old pickup because well... it is handy to have a truck (can't use work truck for personal use).
    If you plan on driving it in winter and rainy weather, relying on it for transportation, I would advise something newer. You gotta remember the old stuff is likely not to have air and will be less comfortable to drive.

I don't have a vintage car, but I own two vintage motorcycles, as well as knowing several that have vintage cars. For the "toy" effect I find the older stuff a lot more fun, even though the performance isn't up to par with the newer stuff.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 31

Go vintage.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    If you plan on driving it in winter and rainy weather, relying on it for transportation, I would advise something newer. You gotta remember the old stuff is likely not to have air and will be less comfortable to drive.

I don't have a vintage car, but I own two vintage motorcycles, as well as knowing several that have vintage cars. For the "toy" effect I find the older stuff a lot more fun, even though the performance isn't up to par with the newer stuff.
    Great point. It is HOT in Texas in summer and it lasts a lot longer down here. So A/C is definitely a must if I look into older vehicles, even if it an aftermarket add-on... by Golly we will have A/C!!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

See you really like GM, have you considered the dodge challanger, I don't have one myself but I really like the way it looks and with up to a 470 hp V8, it could be a lot of fun to drive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-dodge-challenger-targa.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	9775  

Addict
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 321
    Given: 646

I'd go with the Z06, the years you referenced are freaking beautiful.

Last edited by ianoconnor; 08-17-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 874
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 260

Get a daily driver and than add a used toy. The toy cars just aren't for winter in the midwest but I guess you are in Texas so nevermind that point. I have an Audi A4 Quattro for basic transportation and an '02 Boxster and picked by an '87 Porsche 924S for around $4800 this winter (only 36K miles but with timing belt/tires/fluids flush/air conditioning and more it sucked up a quick $3K). BTW, the Boxster was a Texas car.

Last edited by BoxsterCy; 08-17-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 874
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 260

Quote Originally Posted by ISUStrEngr View Post
    I'm married with kids (ultimate money pit). This is the only toy car I can afford:

That's right. A 1967 Galaxie 500 inherited from Grandpa. Watch out, it's a street sleeper with 289 cubic inches of pure power
    Looks like grandpa took care of that old Ford. Very cool and red to boot!

Prospect
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

You're not a Ford guy, but it seems to me a person from Shenandoah needs to driver a Mustang.