Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 801,136, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,437
    Points
    801,136
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,022
    Given: 247

  2. #2
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    Hopefully we go with no looking at the sidelines.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 227,057, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Clones21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    17,558
    Points
    227,057
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    I wonder if Rhoads will name the starter before or after the Scrimmage.


    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

  4. #4
    Just Win Baby
    Points: 302,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clones85''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,339
    Points
    302,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    I wonder if Rhoads will name the starter before or after the Scrimmage.

    I have from a solid source that Rhoads won't name a starter until after the Texas game



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 178,571, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,046
    Points
    178,571
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 303
    Given: 0

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    Hopefully we go with no looking at the sidelines.
    That was the best thing I heard Rhoads say today. He didn't say they would never look to the sidelines, but did say there would be a lot less of it. He said we're just going to play football... and fast.

    It didn't sound like Rhoads was all too pleased with all the jacking around at the line of scrimmage we've been doing the last 2 years to me? That was music to my ears. And probably to the offensive linemen too. Hopefully they won't be asked to sit in their crouch for 25 secs while our QB is getting hand signals from the sidelines, and then eventually moving illegally because they just want to get moving again.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 116,407, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CysRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,310
    Points
    116,407
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 540
    Given: 435

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I have from a solid source that Rhoads won't name a starter until after the Texas game
    So are we running the wildcat or something?


    “I told you, I don’t care if you’re black or white. I don’t care if you’re rich or poor. I don’t care where you come from, whether it’s Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I don’t care about any of that… But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 11,783, Level: 32
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Clonedogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CR, IA
    Posts
    816
    Points
    11,783
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 27

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    Hopefully we go with no looking at the sidelines.
    That sent me bonkers last year, the first yr I chalked it up to new system. If we are at a disadvantage in talent, going JET is one way to equalize that discrepancy. This was the plan from the get-go according to the staff and it has never really happened.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 40,811, Level: 62
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CyLoboClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    2,463
    Points
    40,811
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 7

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    Didnt we lose in Boulder Chiz's first year because the option at the end took too long to read? I HATE the sideline checking.



  9. #9
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    I have from a solid source that Rhoads won't name a starter until after the Texas game
    I have a source that says that Grant Mahoney is #2 in kicking, but #1 in the QB race.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 60,233, Level: 76
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,417
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    DRCHIRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    2,230
    Points
    60,233
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    The Chiz got a delay of game, AFTER a time out because of that garbage his last year here. I want to say it was at Iowa but not sure.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 334,918, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    9,416
    Points
    334,918
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,978
    Given: 495

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    I'm interested in what everyone took out of:

    “It started off with the defense really playing well. We started goal line and the defense had a really nice start, a physical start. They tackled well and stopped the offense. Then the offense got rolling a little bit when we got into some longer field situations. The defense finished well in two minutes. It was a split practice as far as success goes.”

    Admittedly, I have not been really closely following ISU for as long as others, so I'm interested in how others read this paragraph. Part of me takes the positives and gets excited, then the other part of me realizes those positives were against our other side, and I'm not sure how to take it. I ended up looking at past performance. Goal line defense won. Open field offense won. That kinda sounds like last season, we had good drives at times, but they petered out too f'ing often. What's everyone else think?



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 63,075, Level: 77
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    WalkingCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    5,097
    Points
    63,075
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 145

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    That was the best thing I heard Rhoads say today. He didn't say they would never look to the sidelines, but did say there would be a lot less of it. He said we're just going to play football... and fast.

    It didn't sound like Rhoads was all too pleased with all the jacking around at the line of scrimmage we've been doing the last 2 years to me? That was music to my ears. And probably to the offensive linemen too. Hopefully they won't be asked to sit in their crouch for 25 secs while our QB is getting hand signals from the sidelines, and then eventually moving illegally because they just want to get moving again.

    Amen.

    Move the chains O!

    Go State-



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 14,721, Level: 36
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    694
    Points
    14,721
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 62

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    I'm interested in what everyone took out of:

    “It started off with the defense really playing well. We started goal line and the defense had a really nice start, a physical start. They tackled well and stopped the offense. Then the offense got rolling a little bit when we got into some longer field situations. The defense finished well in two minutes. It was a split practice as far as success goes.”

    Admittedly, I have not been really closely following ISU for as long as others, so I'm interested in how others read this paragraph. Part of me takes the positives and gets excited, then the other part of me realizes those positives were against our other side, and I'm not sure how to take it. I ended up looking at past performance. Goal line defense won. Open field offense won. That kinda sounds like last season, we had good drives at times, but they petered out too f'ing often. What's everyone else think?
    Well that's always the case with practice reports isn't it? If one unit does well, then it's at the expense of another unit. Considering offenses are generally better in between the 20s and defenses are better in the red zone, I'd say neither unit is really outperforming the other.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 32,924, Level: 55
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,921
    Points
    32,924
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    we got to delay of game penalties against Iowa, both crucial. One was inside the 5 yard line I believe and after a timeout.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,868, Level: 74
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 682
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,748
    Points
    57,868
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 89

    Re: NOTEBOOK: Offensive tempo impresses Rhoads in scrimmage

    I like the fast tempo, but you absolutely have to have positive plays and first downs to make this work. Otherwise you are trotting your punter onto the field after taking only a minute or two off the game clock. You have to have a great defense to hold up under that kind of pressure.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM