Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Missouri Will Not Move to the SEC<<<

I realize this is an ISU board, and that there is already a thread about Mizzou (Haith situation) today, so I apologize if this thread is offensive.

However, I know there has been a lot of talk about Mizzou potentially moving to the SEC with Texas A&M. From what I have read on this board, ISU fans want Mizzou to stay. I think you are going to get your wish.

Here's why.

1. I believe Mike Alden. He has said that the university has had no communication with the SEC. All of the officials from the SEC confirm this. IMO, A&M wants Mizzou to move with them to soften public criticism, and to create a new western front. They are trying to use Mizzou just as the Big 10 did last year. I don't think it's going to work because Mizzou will not make the first move in that direction.

2. The current chairman of the Board of the Big 12 is from Mizzou. His name is Brady Deaton. He has repeatedly stated that Mizzou is not leaving. The idea of Mizzou negotiating a conference transition while its president is serving as the Big 12 Chairman is a PR nightmare. I do not think Missouri officials want that kind of egg on their face.

3. Mizzou officials want to maintain a middle-America identity. This could continue in the Big Ten, but not the SEC. There is a huge cultural divide. It is possible that Mizzou will ride out expansionpalooza until the Big 12 completely folds or merges with another conference. This is a possibility on two fronts: Mountain West schools merge into the Big 12, or a combination of Big East/ACC and Big 12 schools merge.

No one is certain about anything relating to expansion, but everything out of Columbia, Kansas City and St. Louis is pointing to Mizzou staying. Mizzou is letting others drive this bus, trusting that the destination is desirable and profitable. Of course, this is maddening to me because I feel Mizzou should continue to flirt with other conferences or risk being left in the cold.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Missouri Will Not Move to the SEC<<<

Good. I can see the Big 12 surviving (and maybe even thriving) if Mizzou stays put.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 380
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 29

I believe that Mizzou is too big of a player to be left out in the cold. They can wield too many TV sets.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,212
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

I hope you are right, I'd like to see them stay. It means that the Big 12 will likely be around for a while yet.

Rookie
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

I think most Cyclone fans want to believe you and we want mizzou also, the remaining 9 Big12 schools need to stick together and I have no reason to believe that they won't. We'll replace A&M and move on. BYU will be a more than adequate replacement and I for one am not ruling out adding Notre Dame and a third school as well.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 19

This seems obvious

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    I think most Cyclone fans want to believe you and we want mizzou also, the remaining 9 Big12 schools need to stick together and I have no reason to believe that they won't. We'll replace A&M and move on. BYU will be a more than adequate replacement and I for one am not ruling out adding Notre Dame and a third school as well.
    I'm just a fan, friend, albeit a rather rabid one.

I could be completely wrong, but Mizzou is handling the SEC situation far differently than they handled the Big Ten's overtures last year. There were no public denials last year, but just about everyone with the university has dog-piled on the SEC "rumor." They have all (seriously all) said there is no substance to it.

Now, things could change. Maybe the SEC makes a call and Mizzou is forced to accept or decline it, but I see no reason for the school to outright deny the rumor other than simple truthfulness.

Seeing this reaction makes me reevaluate the Big Ten debacle of last year. I now believe the Big Ten really did contact Mizzou. The school never would confirm or deny it happened. Unfortunately the powers-that-be at Missouri weren't good at expansion poker, and didn't realize they were being played for a fool.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    This seems obvious
    Perhaps, but I think I speak for a lot of Mizzou fans when I say we are tired of seeing the school's name tied to every expansion rumor over the past year. The school gets compared to a slut because the perception is that "we're lifting our skirt" at other conferences when, in fact, most of the chatter is fan and media driven.

IMO, we haven't been proactive enough, and have let the media create a perception that is fictitious and harmful.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 370

I think ISU, Baylor, and T. Tech are the Big 12 schools that are probably most at risk. KSU also if they aren't tied to KU at all.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433
    Given: 221

Quote Originally Posted by QBUMizzou View Post
    3. Mizzou officials want to maintain a middle-America identity. This could continue in the Big Ten, but not the SEC. There is a huge cultural divide.
    Yep, and the dividing line of the cultural divide is basically I-70. KC, St. Louis, Columbia are basically part of the Midwest/North. South of those cities, you enter Missouraaaah, which in many ways has more in common with the South than the Midwest/North.

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

Correct me if I'm wrong QBUMizzou, but it's my understanding that the reason Mizzou wanted to go to the Big 10 last year was almost solely driven by the fact that Big 12 TV revenues were so bad. Unlike Nebraska and Texas A&M, whose moves are mostly driven by Texas envy, Mizzou is really only interested in the economics. Now that the Big 12 TV revenue is on par with the Big 10 and SEC, they really don't have a reason to move except for stability. However, even if conference Armageddon goes down, there's a 0% chance Mizzou will be left out, so they are safe even if they just sit around and wait for things to unfold before making a move.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 16

Losing Missouri or Kansas/K State would be devastating from ISU's perspective. The partnership we have is just about the only security we have should the Big 12 implode.

Rookie
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 491
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Perhaps, but I think I speak for a lot of Mizzou fans when I say we are tired of seeing the school's name tied to every expansion rumor over the past year. The school gets compared to a slut because the perception is that "we're lifting our skirt" at other conferences when, in fact, most of the chatter is fan and media driven.

IMO, we haven't been proactive enough, and have let the media create a perception that is fictitious and harmful.
    The fact that the Missouri chancellor is the the chairman of the Big 12 board of directors is all I need to know. He would have very little professional integrity to sit in charge of that group and deny mizzou's interest in SEC if it weren't true.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 16

I'm just a fan, friend, albeit a rather rabid one.

I could be completely wrong, but Mizzou is handling the SEC situation far differently than they handled the Big Ten's overtures last year. There were no public denials last year, but just about everyone with the university has dog-piled on the SEC "rumor." They have all (seriously all) said there is no substance to it.

Now, things could change. Maybe the SEC makes a call and Mizzou is forced to accept or decline it, but I see no reason for the school to outright deny the rumor other than simple truthfulness.

Seeing this reaction makes me reevaluate the Big Ten debacle of last year. I now believe the Big Ten really did contact Mizzou. The school never would confirm or deny it happened. Unfortunately the powers-that-be at Missouri weren't good at expansion poker, and didn't realize they were being played for a fool.
    Missouri would need to apply before they can be accepted/declined. The SEC doesn't want to play with fire and poach a team, Missouri would be the one making the move.

Overall, the perception is Missouri seems pretty content with the Big12.

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong QBUMizzou, but it's my understanding that the reason Mizzou wanted to go to the Big 10 last year was almost solely driven by the fact that Big 12 TV revenues were so bad.
    I think Missouri has wanted to go to the Big 10 since the Big 8 days. Last year I never got the impression that getting out of the Big 12 was their primary motive, but rather getting into the Big 10 was. Nebraska and Texas A&M on the other hand both just want to get away from Texas. I think Colorado has always had an urge to go to the Pac 10 but I think they paniced a little and jumped the gun when they thought the Big 12 was going down in flames.