Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Recruit
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Albert Pujols as a Cub in 2012?

The Cubs are potentially putting themselves in a position to target Albert Pujols next winter when he becomes a free agent. However, it remains to be seen whether or not St Louis will sign Pujols to a mega-deal before he hits free agency. Despite talking during the Winter Meetings, the Cardinals and Pujolís camp are not close to establishing the basic parameters of a deal yet. But, I still believe that the St Louis Cardinals will eventually sign Albert Pujols to a long term extension. Because it just seems that the Cardinals have been setting themselves up over the past two year to give Pujols the mega-deal that he is probably seeking. Although, Pujols may be seeking a deal that is better than the 10 year, $275MM deal that the New York Yankees gave Alex Rodriguez in 2008. While it may not be for 10 years, the expectation is that Pujols could get a 7 year deal that would pay him $28MM to $29MM a year. That would put the combined total of the contract at $196MM or even $203MM.
    On the off chance that the St Louis Cardinals do not re-sign Albert Pujols, the Cubs are in a prime position of all the big market teams to land the gameís best player. Because with -New York Yankees having Mark Teixiera; The Red Sox with Adrian Gonzalez; The White Sox with Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko; New York Mets with Ike Davis- many of the other big market teams already have a proven first baseman, they probably will not be in the running for Pujols. Which would leave the Cubs and the Los Angeles Angels as the only two teams that can offer big money to Pujols.
    But lets say that Pujols does stay with Cardinals, who would the Cubs then target? Well, that answer may be the guy that Cubs just signed to a one year, $10MM deal in Carlos Pena. If Carlos Pena does in fact have a bounce back year, letís say .240 with 35 home runs and over 100 RBIís, the Cubs would be very interested in signing him to a long term extension. This is another reason why you have to like the Carlos Pena contract for the Chicago Cubs. Because, essentially Pena is auditioning for a big payday in 2012, a payday in which could be provided by the Chicago Cubs.
    Regardless of what happens with Albert Pujols and St Louis, the Cubs will almost certainly be big spenders next winter.

Last edited by Dave19642011; 08-17-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added a ? mark

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Re: Albert Pujols as a Cub in 2012?

why don't you just put a link to the articles? It seems like your chiefs updates are the same. give the writer credit if you aren't writing the summary.

sorry not trying to be an ***

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

If the Cubs sign another 31 year old (or so he says) to a contract in which he (Pujlos) is demanding, I will not be happy.

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 92

As a Cards fan, I've arrived at the opinion that we should NOT attempt to re-sign Albert. The team just so has so many pressing needs that could be addressed with the added flexibility in payroll. As much as I love watching Albert play, the team around him has not been very good for the last 5 years.

That said, I really hope he doesn't end up with the Cubs.

Last edited by tejasclone; 08-17-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Cubs would be better off targeting Prince Fielder - he's four or five years younger.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonz View Post
    Cubs would be better off targeting Prince Fielder - he's four or five years younger.
    or six or seven

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 935
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonz View Post
    Plus he's a lefty

Barney
    Castro
    Fielder
    Ramirez
    Byrd
    Colvin
    Soto
    Campana

sounds like runs

Let Me Mayor Coach!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642011 View Post
    The Cubs are potentially putting themselves in a position to target Albert Pujols next winter when he becomes a free agent. However, it remains to be seen whether or not St Louis will sign Pujols to a mega-deal before he hits free agency. Despite talking during the Winter Meetings, the Cardinals and Pujolís camp are not close to establishing the basic parameters of a deal yet. But, I still believe that the St Louis Cardinals will eventually sign Albert Pujols to a long term extension. Because it just seems that the Cardinals have been setting themselves up over the past two year to give Pujols the mega-deal that he is probably seeking. Although, Pujols may be seeking a deal that is better than the 10 year, $275MM deal that the New York Yankees gave Alex Rodriguez in 2008. While it may not be for 10 years, the expectation is that Pujols could get a 7 year deal that would pay him $28MM to $29MM a year. That would put the combined total of the contract at $196MM or even $203MM.
    On the off chance that the St Louis Cardinals do not re-sign Albert Pujols, the Cubs are in a prime position of all the big market teams to land the gameís best player. Because with -New York Yankees having Mark Teixiera; The Red Sox with Adrian Gonzalez; The White Sox with Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko; New York Mets with Ike Davis- many of the other big market teams already have a proven first baseman, they probably will not be in the running for Pujols. Which would leave the Cubs and the Los Angeles Angels as the only two teams that can offer big money to Pujols.
    But lets say that Pujols does stay with Cardinals, who would the Cubs then target? Well, that answer may be the guy that Cubs just signed to a one year, $10MM deal in Carlos Pena. If Carlos Pena does in fact have a bounce back year, letís say .240 with 35 home runs and over 100 RBIís, the Cubs would be very interested in signing him to a long term extension. This is another reason why you have to like the Carlos Pena contract for the Chicago Cubs. Because, essentially Pena is auditioning for a big payday in 2012, a payday in which could be provided by the Chicago Cubs.
    Regardless of what happens with Albert Pujols and St Louis, the Cubs will almost certainly be big spenders next winter.
    The Cardinals front office knows what they have in fan draw with Albert Pujols. I cannot see him leaving St Louis until the new hero has arrived and been established. The recent 60 minutes piece on Albert did a great job of showing how closely he is tied to STL and TDR......his two homes. I also very much miss the days when players had careers with one team, so I carry that bias and could be wrong. But I doubt it.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

First off, I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I think the last place he would end up would be with the Cubs. Pujols is maybe the most competitive player in MLB. He wants championships. Put yourself in his shoes and ask yourself - would I rather stay in STL, make a little less and compete for the World Series, or go to the Cubs for more money and realistically have a minimal chance for more World Series Championships or even appearances? The Cubs haven't had a WS for A HUNDRED YEARS. They routinely bring in high $ players and get the same result. If I'm Albert, I don't want to spend the last years of my career trying to help a team break a 100 year drought. I would want to go someplace with a much better history and chance for championships. Maybe that team isn't the Cardinals, but I definitely don't think it will be the Cubs.

GO CYCLONES!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,164
    Given: 1,800

Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    The Cardinals front office knows what they have in fan draw with Albert Pujols. I cannot see him leaving St Louis until the new hero has arrived and been established. The recent 60 minutes piece on Albert did a great job of showing how closely he is tied to STL and TDR......his two homes. I also very much miss the days when players had careers with one team, so I carry that bias and could be wrong. But I doubt it.
    I don't think he's leaving, either. The Cards don't have that history of letting their legitimate all-time greats walk away. I'd be stunned. Happy, but stunned.

Prince Fielder, on the other hand, I expect that we can get, and he fits in very nicely, too.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 102

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    If the Cubs sign another 31 year old (or so he says) to a contract in which he (Pujlos) is demanding, I will not be happy.
    +1

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by cycfan View Post
    First off, I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I think the last place he would end up would be with the Cubs. Pujols is maybe the most competitive player in MLB. He wants championships. Put yourself in his shoes and ask yourself - would I rather stay in STL, make a little less and compete for the World Series, or go to the Cubs for more money and realistically have a minimal chance for more World Series Championships or even appearances? The Cubs haven't had a WS for A HUNDRED YEARS. They routinely bring in high $ players and get the same result. If I'm Albert, I don't want to spend the last years of my career trying to help a team break a 100 year drought. I would want to go someplace with a much better history and chance for championships. Maybe that team isn't the Cardinals, but I definitely don't think it will be the Cubs.

GO CYCLONES!!!
    The Cardinals are very far away from competing for a WS. They have some serious roster issues that are going to be difficult to fix via free agency. A lot of the bigger pieces are exiting their prime years.

Pujols would love to remain a Card but he's made it quite clear he wants to be PAID.

ďScience investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.Ē

Martin Luther King Jr.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    The Cardinals are very far away from competing for a WS. They have some serious roster issues that are going to be difficult to fix via free agency. A lot of the bigger pieces are exiting their prime years.

Pujols would love to remain a Card but he's made it quite clear he wants to be PAID.

The Cards aren't going to make the playoffs this year. The point is that the Cards are always in the mix, the Cubs are almost never in the mix. The one constant every year in the NL Central is the Cardinals. They don't always win it, but they are always the team battling one of the others for the division. The others kind of rotate. This year it is the Cards-Brewers, last year the Cards-Reds, then its the Cards-Astros and even a couple of years the Cubs have challenged, but the Cards are almost always one of 2 teams fighting for the division.

Sure Albert wants to get paid, but is it worth a couple million a year to a guy like Pujols to go to a team that hasn't won a WS in over a century? I don't think so. I could see him going to the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies or Angels, or staying in St. Louis because they have a reasonable shot at getting him back to a WS multiple times before his career is over. That is very unlikely with the Cubs.

GO CYCLONES!!!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

Pujols will stay a card. Yankees nor Red Sox have anywhere to put him when you have Youkilis, Adrian Gonzalez, Teixiera, and A-Rod.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 292
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by cycfan View Post
    The Cards aren't going to make the playoffs this year. The point is that the Cards are always in the mix, the Cubs are almost never in the mix. The one constant every year in the NL Central is the Cardinals. They don't always win it, but they are always the team battling one of the others for the division. The others kind of rotate. This year it is the Cards-Brewers, last year the Cards-Reds, then its the Cards-Astros and even a couple of years the Cubs have challenged, but the Cards are almost always one of 2 teams fighting for the division.

Sure Albert wants to get paid, but is it worth a couple million a year to a guy like Pujols to go to a team that hasn't won a WS in over a century? I don't think so. I could see him going to the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies or Angels, or staying in St. Louis because they have a reasonable shot at getting him back to a WS multiple times before his career is over. That is very unlikely with the Cubs.

GO CYCLONES!!!
    After this year the Cardinals will have made the playoffs once in the last five years? Is that correct?

Doesn't exactly speak WS. Mozeliak is a terrible GM. Getting as bad as Hendry.

ďScience investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.Ē

Martin Luther King Jr.