Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 89

Regional Division with Religation

I don't understand why someone (the NCAA) doesn't end all this realignment talk. If we are going to realign the college athletic map we need one body in charge with a clear goal and fair play. Instead of hungry conferences and ADs running the show.

Super conferences work for football but doen't work so well in any other sport so lets treat football like the state of Iowa does.

My first model would be to break the college football teams up into regions. I am not going to do this but they would be geographical in nature. Say 8 regions with 10 teams apiece. You play everyone in your region and get 3 non-conference games. You can schedule whatever you like. cupcakes, rivalries whatever makes sense. Cause the only games that count would be your regional games. team on top of the region at the end goes to an 8 team playoff for the national championship.

In a more dramatic change we could go to a European soccer model. Currently there are 120 teams in FBS. These 120 teams would need to be ranked 1 to 120 in some fashion based on historical rankings system. You would then create three tiers with the rankings (1-40, 41-80, and 81-120). Then each tier would have 4 regions with 10 teams each. You play everyone in your region and 3 non-regional games. Only regional games count to your ability to make the playoffs. Top 2 teams from each region enter a playoff seeded 1-8 for each tier. Bottom teams of each region from Tiers 1 and 2 are relegated to the tier below (so tier 1 relegations go to tier 2 and so on) And the final 4 for tier 2 and 3 move up a tier. (I like this option cause it would give small schools a chance to compete, obviously ISU wouldn't be in Tier 1, we might not even make tier 2, but we would have a chance to compete and play against schools on an equal footing with us each year. )

The NCAA controls the TV rights giving each school an equal footing of TV revenue. Booster revenue is what would set schools apart. It would allow us to keep our current conferences for basketball sake (and olympic sports), and not jeopardize small schools for the benefit of a handful of greedy individuals.

I doubt the NCAA would ever do this or even think of doing it, but someone needs to grab a hold and take control of this mess before things are really thrown into disarray.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 404
    Given: 133

Re: Regional Division with Religation

I really want to see football have regional divisons instead of conferences.

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 21

stopped reading when you suggested copying anything that a soccer league does

read this post quickly - it might not last long

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by boone7247 View Post
    I don't understand why someone (the NCAA) doesn't end all this realignment talk.
    Because there is no one single person or group in charge. That is the whole point of all this talk. There is no single person or group to look out for the best interest of the game, but rather those who hold the most power make the decisions and the rest of the cards fall where they may.

That's why Texas and ND are the key to superconferences. If they want them, the rest will fall into place. If they don't want them, they won't.

College sports has turned into a big cannibalism festival. Look out for your best interests at all costs and don't worry about the rest. Look out for #1 whether that means more money or whatever else.

Pro
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 886
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 250

What does the entity of a conference actually mean to Universities? I know that I'm not all that bright, but I was thinking that most of the reason for conferences was to help with scheduling. What was the original intent? Many on here talk about how the BIG is unified with research grant schools, but I doubt that was around in the 1800s.

I know that because of TV sets, we are fortunate to be tied in with the big dogs and they help us get on TV. What I don't get is why schools "team" up anymore other than to create TV deals.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,528
    Given: 2,065

Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
    What does the entity of a conference actually mean to Universities? I know that I'm not all that bright, but I was thinking that most of the reason for conferences was to help with scheduling. What was the original intent? Many on here talk about how the BIG is unified with research grant schools, but I doubt that was around in the 1800s.

I know that because of TV sets, we are fortunate to be tied in with the big dogs and they help us get on TV. What I don't get is why schools "team" up anymore other than to create TV deals.
    I've wondered about the initial intent lately myself.

I think I'll go book-searching. I'm curious.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 594
    Given: 402

I worked this up for ***** and giggles the other day. Will post later when I get a chance.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post

Good question, my guess would be to share knowledge and work together on common problems.

Now it is all about greed and TV sets.

Legend
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,728
    Given: 2,983

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    I worked this up for ***** and giggles the other day. Will post later when I get a chance.
    I must be getting bleary eyed from looking at all this. I thought for a second you had done some research for Matty P.

I'm outta here.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,519
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 24

It's always been autonomous conferences. And it always will be.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I am sure there will be, however, that doesn't mean there should be. Also ideas should always be talked about.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 366

Quote Originally Posted by boone7247 View Post
    I don't understand why someone (the NCAA) doesn't end all this realignment talk. If we are going to realign the college athletic map we need one body in charge with a clear goal and fair play. Instead of hungry conferences and ADs running the show.

Super conferences work for football but doen't work so well in any other sport so lets treat football like the state of Iowa does.

My first model would be to break the college football teams up into regions. I am not going to do this but they would be geographical in nature. Say 8 regions with 10 teams apiece. You play everyone in your region and get 3 non-conference games. You can schedule whatever you like. cupcakes, rivalries whatever makes sense. Cause the only games that count would be your regional games. team on top of the region at the end goes to an 8 team playoff for the national championship.

In a more dramatic change we could go to a European soccer model. Currently there are 120 teams in FBS. These 120 teams would need to be ranked 1 to 120 in some fashion based on historical rankings system. You would then create three tiers with the rankings (1-40, 41-80, and 81-120). Then each tier would have 4 regions with 10 teams each. You play everyone in your region and 3 non-regional games. Only regional games count to your ability to make the playoffs. Top 2 teams from each region enter a playoff seeded 1-8 for each tier. Bottom teams of each region from Tiers 1 and 2 are relegated to the tier below (so tier 1 relegations go to tier 2 and so on) And the final 4 for tier 2 and 3 move up a tier. (I like this option cause it would give small schools a chance to compete, obviously ISU wouldn't be in Tier 1, we might not even make tier 2, but we would have a chance to compete and play against schools on an equal footing with us each year. )

The NCAA controls the TV rights giving each school an equal footing of TV revenue. Booster revenue is what would set schools apart. It would allow us to keep our current conferences for basketball sake (and olympic sports), and not jeopardize small schools for the benefit of a handful of greedy individuals.

I doubt the NCAA would ever do this or even think of doing it, but someone needs to grab a hold and take control of this mess before things are really thrown into disarray.
    Any proposal that doesn't recognize that there are other sports than football will ultimately fail. Football will rule decisions, but conferences exist for the whole university, not just football.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsTournament View Post
    Any proposal that doesn't recognize that there are other sports than football will ultimately fail. Football will rule decisions, but conferences exist for the whole university, not just football.
    That last part is supposed to be true, but I'm not convinced that's true anymore. It's looking like the football tail is wagging the university dog these days.

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    That last part is supposed to be true, but I'm not convinced that's true anymore. It's looking like the football tail is wagging the university dog these days.
    To paraphrase Groucho Marx in the movie Horsefeathers.
    "We want a University our football team can be proud of".

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyspy View Post
    To paraphrase Groucho Marx in the movie Horsefeathers.
    "We want a University our football team can be proud of".
    To use another movie idea: It looks like Revenge of the Nerds was prophetic.