Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Tablet Computers

I'm hearing the siren song of wanting new technology, and may soon pull the trigger on a tablet. But part of me wonders if I really need one.

I have a rooted Nook Color that is pretty much a barebones small tablet. I read a lot, and it serves me well in that respect. But it obviously doesn't have the processing power and bells/whistles of a full-fledged tablet.

The size factor may be one that I end up not liking about a 10" tablet...will it be too big/heavy to read on for 2-3 hrs. at a time?

I also have a laptop that I use for surfing the net, word processing, etc. Would a tablet effectively replace that? I don't think so...I can't see me typing much on a tablet's virtual keyboard.

Can anyone sway me one way or another? Do you have a tablet that has effectively replaced a laptop? Is a 10" tablet too big to read on? Any other considerations?

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

Re: Tablet Computers

It sounds like you have the setup you want. A tablet won't replace either of those fully but it will make browsing and games a little easier. I thought about getting one but I do a fair amount of word processing and just didn't feel like it fit my needs.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 50

The knock I've heard on tablets (I don't own one) as a replacement for a Nook is that (a) the battery life is much less and (b) their screens are often not suitable for reading in sunny locations because of the glare. They obviously have a ton of benefits, but you might want to plan on keeping your other reading device.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 13

Agree...I don't see a tablet replacing a laptop yet. We need some giant leap past the keyboard first.

With that said I love my iPad. When u don't feel like taking or starting up a laptop it's perfect.

I rarely use it for an extended period but I use it frequently for short periods. Movies, surfing, checking weather, games.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    The knock I've heard on tablets (I don't own one) as a replacement for a Nook is that (a) the battery life is much less and (b) their screens are often not suitable for reading in sunny locations because of the glare. They obviously have a ton of benefits, but you might want to plan on keeping your other reading device.
    The glare is a problem, even for my Nook Color, which is LCD, like most tablets. It is not a problem for a regular Nook, which is e-ink technology.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    The glare is a problem, even for my Nook Color, which is LCD, like most tablets. It is not a problem for a regular Nook, which is e-ink technology.
    who makes the best tablet computer?

samsung sounds like they have a good one.
    anyone have any comments(good or bad) about their tablet computer...

doc

Walk On
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

I just bought a refurbished iPad1 from the apple website and I love it. I got the most basic version (16g, wifi only) and paid $350 plus tax - shipping is free. The refurbished models come with a new case, new screen, new battery and the same warranty as a new one.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,208
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 38

I like the Ipad 2, just got one for the wife. A lot handier to haul around and much longer battery life vs. laptop.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,536
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I have an iPad2 which I love for the portability, speed, and 10 hour or whatever battery life. I'd say it is far superior to a netbook.

Taking it along with is nothing, a piece of cake. And you are up and going in no time.

I also have the Zagg/Logitech combination keyboard/cover, which is outstanding. You can type on the touchscreen, and it is obviously superior say to a cellphone. But doing a long email (or post) is just a lot more work. It takes a lot longer. I was concerned about the size of the keyboard, as I have big hands, but it turned out pretty good. That said, I also have a big (and fast) notebook computer. The iPad has its niche, its uses, but it just isn't the same as typing on a big keyboard and screen. Even with as nice as the keyboard is, it will always be inferior to typing or major league surfing on a bigger computer. If I have a lot of work to get done, like a longer paper, no way do I want to do it on the iPad versus the larger screen and keyboard.

At the same time, it is better on a couch say, or lying down, or say surfing, or in the local cafe on the spur of the moment or whatever. And it is better than a cellphone.

I'm also happy with it since I wanted to own an Apple computer, which I never have. I was also leery of other brands as the product is so new. I am still learning certain aspects, though I mostly use it for the ereader and surfing. I think the Nook though sounds like a good product and provides value for the price.

I don't know what more to say, but like you, before buying the iPad I really questioned whether I needed it. I had done a fair amount of research, but not as much as I do sometimes. It was almost an impulse the day I bought it, just walked in and asked for one, no questions. I got the cheapest ($499) version, since that is all I needed. Within an hour or two I was really really happy I did, and I don't regret it since.

Prospect
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I went out an bought an HP Touchsmart Tm2. I love it, it's one of the convertible laptops with the tablet screen. It functions as a laptop but has the tablet interface, and the pen actually works really well. I use it a lot in class where I'm taking all of my notes in my laptop now on OneNote. Battery life is more like a laptop (I get about 4-5 hours with the wireless off on Power Saver mode). I spent about $1100 on it total but it's been worth every penny.

All in.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's a pretty good article about various tablets:

Engadget's back to school guide 2011: tablets -- Engadget

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,536
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    I'm hearing the siren song of wanting new technology, and may soon pull the trigger on a tablet. But part of me wonders if I really need one.

I have a rooted Nook Color that is pretty much a barebones small tablet. I read a lot, and it serves me well in that respect. But it obviously doesn't have the processing power and bells/whistles of a full-fledged tablet.

The size factor may be one that I end up not liking about a 10" tablet...will it be too big/heavy to read on for 2-3 hrs. at a time?

I also have a laptop that I use for surfing the net, word processing, etc. Would a tablet effectively replace that? I don't think so...I can't see me typing much on a tablet's virtual keyboard.

Can anyone sway me one way or another? Do you have a tablet that has effectively replaced a laptop? Is a 10" tablet too big to read on? Any other considerations?
    1. Unless it is perhaps something more like UICyclone's set up, what I have does not effectively replace a decent sized laptop. And typing on the iPad touchscreen is much less efficient than on a regular keyboard. Not even close. Depending on how much typing you do, I doubt that the touchscreen will come anywhere close. Even if you get a regular size keyboard to attach, keep in mind that the screen is much smaller than a regular notebook. It is easy to resize with your fingers on the touchscreen, but not the same as a bigger screen. And something you might not think about is that you aren't using a mouse, but instead touching the screen to perform various tasks. It's different. I think someone could use it for classroom notes - with the keyboard (not the touchscreeen only). If you planned to do this every day, I don't know, may depend on the subject and how much typing. And perhaps how averse you are to carrying something bigger.

2. The iPad is easy to hold sitting down, with two hands. I can hold the iPad lying down with one hand, and I do, but even with big hands it is much more of a chore than the small size Kindle. The Kindle is more like holding a paperback. The iPad is too big to hold with one hand reading for 2 or 3 hours.

Last edited by Clone83; 08-15-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I bought the Acer Iconia Tab W500 several months ago, and I really like it. It has replaced my laptop. I'm going to network an external hard drive and buy a second monitor for the office (for work usage) but this thing has been pretty solid. It's Windows, so it runs full Office suite, and remote desktop for work.

Amazon.com: Acer Iconia Tab W500-BZ467 10.1-Inch Tablet (Silver): Computers & Accessories

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 127

Ipad screens scratch a lot. Protect the screen.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

I have a motorola xoom and this whole paragraph was typed with my voice. The software does need some help but overall is very convenient to sit outside and enjoy the nice days with this. The flash capabilities are definitely a plus over the apple ipad. It is somewhat more difficult to dictate rather than typing because you have to think what you're going to say before you say it. There are additional on screen keyboard options for the tablets to enable easier typing.