Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Moving on...Iowa State's Offense vs. Iowa Defense

It's time to put last week in the rear view mirror and take a look at the match ups for Saturday. Beginning with the matchups when ISU has the ball, I posted a breakdown of what to expect Saturday on my blog. I will add defense on Wednesday, Special Teams on Thursday and Keys to the Game on Friday.

On paper this about as scary as matchup as you could imagine. Take a look at what the Cyclone offense will face and where we might find some yards.

Let me know your thoughts.

Link to Blog

Last edited by JCloned; 09-11-2007 at 06:19 PM.
    "A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 44

Re: Moving on...Iowa State's Offense vs. Iowa Defense

Iowa has faced 2 of the bottom 10 in the country. The difference between ISU and NIU and SU is that ISU can move the ball...the problem lays with Meyer turning it over at the end of a drive. ISU will move the ball by spreading the field like they did last year, the question will be if Meyer can not play like an idiot and get the ball in the end zone. If Meyer plays like he is capable, ISU scores 21-28 points, which is an achievement agasint IU's defense. At the same time Meyer can play like an idiot and turn the ball over 4 times again and ISU scores 6 points.

Gut feeling, Meyer snaps out of this and comes up big to shut Me and others up. ISU 28 IU 24.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

As I said in my analysis, Iowa's statistics are over inflated, but Northern Illinois offense is not ranked as low as you suggest. They are averaging less than 20 yards less than ISU and have outscored ISU By 4 points per game.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Not to get into a defense of the gateway conference, but northern, beat southern illinois who is ranked six in the FCS (same division as UNI). Iowa held Northern to 3 points, while they put up 31 on Southern Illinois.

"Southern Illinois University (2-0) scored 20 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to pull off a stunning 34-31 upset win over intra-state rival Northern Illinois (0-2) earlier tonight in front of a crowd of 24,182 at Huskie Stadium."

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    Gut feeling, Meyer snaps out of this and comes up big to shut Me and others up. ISU 28 IU 24.
    Are you making this prediction because it is physically impossible for you to predict Iowa beating ISU? I think it's possible that our senior underperformers get up for the big game and grab a W, but much more likely [to me] is that we just get smoked and embarassed.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 12

Defensive/offensive stats this early in the season mean absolutely nothing. In fact, so do these bottom 10 rankings. A team could win 1 (buffalo) and be off the "receiving votes" list.

Plus, don't under-estimate the SIU win over NIU. SIU beat one of the best Indiana teams in recent history (not that that's saying much), and Indiana went 5-7 last season.

Point is, stats mean nothing, especially in an in-state game.

They're just fun to use in an argument ;)

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

ISU needs to throw the ball 40 times

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,260
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

I State's challenges:
    1. Getting any pressure on Iowa QB. The OL for Iowa is good.
    2. Giving our QB some time to look
    3. Establishing a running game
    4. Getting Meyer's head in the game

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Attack iowa's safeties

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Only problem with attacking their safeties, is those are not quick hit patterns and when ISU has struggled most in pass protection it is on longer developing patterns. We will need to really step up our blocking to sustain blocks long enough to go over the top.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 303

Line up Blythe either side and in the slot. Just common sense instead of parking him right and never thowing to him.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You know perhaps the most frustrating thing about Meyer's performance to date is that he makes the game plan and the coaches look stupid. When he executes we move the ball and if we weren't turning it over etc. we would be scoring and the defense would be forced to adjust. If the are jamming Todd and rotating Safety to protect the jamming qb, then underneath or mid range will be open on other side and it has been. If we exploit that consitently and finish the drives then they have to back off on Todd or we nickle and dime them to death all night long. Problem is we haven't finished the drives.

Against Iowa I think we will have opportunities as I mentioned in my write up in my blog. The big question for me is will we get the performance necessary to take advantage of those opportunties. Quick slants, running back in flat will be there all afternoon if they focus on taking away Todd in the mid range to deep ball. Given our history of Blythe TD passes in games vs. Iowa, and our struggles to finish drives this year I will be surprised if they don't take away the deep ball and force us to have consistency with run and short passing game. We can do it...but will we??

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

JCloned what are your thoughts on screen plays. Such as a middle screen? I understand that screen plays are tough to pull off with the O line we have but in the same respect I see Iowa's Dline getting through our Oline fairly quickly. So hold them off and let them by and pass it to Bass. I'm not sure if it will go so hot with the Linebackers they have but it seems like it would be a play to at least give it a shot.

I think and hope that Iowa's Dline and linebackers are going to be so hungry to sack Meyer or Austen that they will completely forget Bass and we can just simply throw it past them for a nice gain in yardage.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Middle screens are tough unless the team is in a true tampa 2 where the middle linebacker drops into deep converage or they are blitz happy. You can run a middle screen against a base defense, but it depends on your offensive lineman making two key plays; first pseudo blocking the line to give it time to set up and then getting to the linebackers to create a lane. Blocking a linebacker in motion is often tough for an inexperience line because it is all about technique, taking the right angle, good footwork and body positioning etc. While it is not the phyiscal challenge of blocking a 300 lb tackle, it is more of a technique challenge.

Against Iowa I expect them to try to take away the deep ball and force us to show we can run the ball. I don't think they will need to blitz to get pressure, so a middle screen will only work if our guards/center can handle the job of getting to their linebackers.

I think what may be more effective is getting the backs in space via the slants we have seen thus far and the short swings and flare passes.