Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 11,820, Level: 32
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Klubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    451
    Points
    11,820
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Wow, the SEC is going to have to be extremely careful in navigating this. A&M has already screwed themselves into losing quite a bit of money here.

    Tortious Interference and You: Roadblocks to Texas A&M Joining the SEC - Burnt Orange Nation


    Last edited by Klubber; 08-15-2011 at 12:40 AM.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 144,349, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tyler, TX
    Posts
    11,169
    Points
    144,349
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,897
    Given: 2,822

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    This basically sums up everything anyone who's actually paid any attention already knows. Good article. Maybe someone will actually read it?


    Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    CG. No one knows what you're talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl836 View Post
    IANAL

    http://svrwxstormchaser.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 452,656, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    23,904
    Points
    452,656
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,806
    Given: 1,600

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Ive seen some alternate analysis that says that it wouldnt be tortious interference because it would be, at worst, merely the SEC encouraging Texas A&M to exercise a provision of the contract that allows texas to leave at will under certain conditions (forfeiture of certain revenues). Similar to a company calling you up and asking you to switch providers. Its not breaching the contract, its exercising its rights under that contract.

    The SEC is playing it safe though to make sure there is as little of a case as possible.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 42,917, Level: 63
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    cyclonefreak5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,236
    Points
    42,917
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 21

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    This basically sums up everything anyone who's actually paid any attention already knows. Good article. Maybe someone will actually read it?



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 28,346, Level: 51
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    drednot57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada, IA
    Posts
    1,934
    Points
    28,346
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 158

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    I'll agree and say the SEC is playing it safe making sure they're on the right side of the law. Even so, I can't help but think that with all the other involved parties, that this move is becoming ever more difficult for Aggieland to complete. It almost seems that TX A&M needs to go independent before the SEC extends an invitation to them due to tort law. IMO, that would be an extremely risky move for the Aggies as there is no iron-clad guarantee the SEC would extend an invite if aTm did that. It would be like an employee quitting his/her job on the rumor, valid or not, that another job offer is waiting for them at another company. Unless the Big 12, somehow, has not fulfilled their end of the conference agreement with A&M, I don't see how this move will end successfully for the Aggies.


    rocks!

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 75,371, Level: 85
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,179
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    intrepid27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,068
    Points
    75,371
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 603

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Maybe aTm and Mizzery should start their own conference. They obviously don't want to be part of ours.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 13,838, Level: 35
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    658
    Points
    13,838
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Quote Originally Posted by Klubber View Post
    Wow, the SEC is going to have to be extremely careful in navigating this. A&M has already screwed themselves into losing quite a bit of money here.

    Tortious Interference and You: Roadblocks to Texas A&M Joining the SEC - Burnt Orange Nation
    You see the control that UT has over the conference. Did you think they would make it easy for their oldest rival that is 100 miles away, to leave because of them and bash them on the way out? aTm will get this done, and it will be soon. This may help the conference in the long run. When Neb & Colo left, it was a bit uncomfortable for UT but not a major issue. But when aTm decides to leave and blame UT for all of the issues, it should become a big wakeup call for UT. I am at least hopeful for this.


    Texas Rangers - 2011 & 2010 American League Champions!

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,509
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Ive seen some alternate analysis that says that it wouldnt be tortious interference because it would be, at worst, merely the SEC encouraging Texas A&M to exercise a provision of the contract that allows texas to leave at will under certain conditions (forfeiture of certain revenues). Similar to a company calling you up and asking you to switch providers. Its not breaching the contract, its exercising its rights under that contract.

    The SEC is playing it safe though to make sure there is as little of a case as possible.
    Link??



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 29,079, Level: 52
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,989
    Points
    29,079
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 0

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Quote Originally Posted by clonestar12 View Post
    You see the control that UT has over the conference. Did you think they would make it easy for their oldest rival that is 100 miles away, to leave because of them and bash them on the way out? aTm will get this done, and it will be soon. This may help the conference in the long run. When Neb & Colo left, it was a bit uncomfortable for UT but not a major issue. But when aTm decides to leave and blame UT for all of the issues, it should become a big wakeup call for UT. I am at least hopeful for this.
    Texas doesn't care if it gets blamed for all the issues. If the Big 12 goes down in flames Texas can go independent or join whatever conference it wants. What does Texas care if people think they are a bully?



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 224,922, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    11,956
    Points
    224,922
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 975
    Given: 694

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Quote Originally Posted by clonestar12 View Post
    You see the control that UT has over the conference. Did you think they would make it easy for their oldest rival that is 100 miles away, to leave because of them and bash them on the way out? aTm will get this done, and it will be soon. This may help the conference in the long run. When Neb & Colo left, it was a bit uncomfortable for UT but not a major issue. But when aTm decides to leave and blame UT for all of the issues, it should become a big wakeup call for UT. I am at least hopeful for this.
    UT isn't going to get blamed for much of anything. Aggie's SEC love/littlebrotherism is driving the bus, and this is becoming more obvious as details continue to come out.

    Nebraska (i.e. Osborne) never wanted to join into a conference with UT in the first place, and never let anybody forget about it. They left when they got the opportunity. It remains to be seen how long Osborne will stay happy fighting the big money at the top of the Big Ten.

    CU has wanted to be in the Pac-10 since the Big 8 days.

    Aggie has wanted to be apart from UT for decades, but politics kept it from happening. Politics is likely no longer a barrier, so they look to be out the door.

    The last remaining question is MU. They've had Big Ten lust since the Big 8 days. I think everybody else can play together under the new revenue arrangements. Is MU going to play along, or continue to raise trouble?


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,558, Level: 80
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,834
    Points
    67,558
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 1,608

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    Maybe aTm and Mizzery should start their own conference. They obviously don't want to be part of ours.

    Grate Idea My Friend mr intrepid...

    Also they could add Truman State and Nortwest Misery State to keep mizzou company and...


    Add Texas State and Texas A & M Corpus Christie to keep the Aggies Company.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 13,838, Level: 35
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    658
    Points
    13,838
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    Texas doesn't care if it gets blamed for all the issues. If the Big 12 goes down in flames Texas can go independent or join whatever conference it wants. What does Texas care if people think they are a bully?

    I don`t believe Texas wants to join anyone else`s conference. Texas better care what other conference members think, otherwise they could get forced to join another conference. Texas will not go indy because they believe that all of their athletic programs are the best in the country, and indy causes major issues in scheduling non-football sports. They will not get a major conference to park their non-football athletics.


    Texas Rangers - 2011 & 2010 American League Champions!

  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 13,838, Level: 35
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    658
    Points
    13,838
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    UT isn't going to get blamed for much of anything. Aggie's SEC love/littlebrotherism is driving the bus, and this is becoming more obvious as details continue to come out.

    Nebraska (i.e. Osborne) never wanted to join into a conference with UT in the first place, and never let anybody forget about it. They left when they got the opportunity. It remains to be seen how long Osborne will stay happy fighting the big money at the top of the Big Ten.

    CU has wanted to be in the Pac-10 since the Big 8 days.

    Aggie has wanted to be apart from UT for decades, but politics kept it from happening. Politics is likely no longer a barrier, so they look to be out the door.

    The last remaining question is MU. They've had Big Ten lust since the Big 8 days. I think everybody else can play together under the new revenue arrangements. Is MU going to play along, or continue to raise trouble?
    It is always easy to explain away issues individually, but all of the programs have singled out UT. That is a trend that should not be ignored.


    Texas Rangers - 2011 & 2010 American League Champions!

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 102,850, Level: 99
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Senolcyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,234
    Points
    102,850
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 27

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    This basically sums up everything anyone who's actually paid any attention already knows. Good article. Maybe someone will actually read it?

    It's a ******* fan blog called Burnt Orange Nation, not the Harvard Law Review. I don't suppose BURNT ORANGE NATION has any bias or allegiance to any particular school. Can't think of who it would be. Nope, nobody comes to mind........

    I'm going to bet that Texas A&M and the SEC can scrape together legal teams capable of navigating the way through this process.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 196,846, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    15,506
    Points
    196,846
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,127
    Given: 3,801

    Re: Great read on legal roadblocks for A&M to SEC...

    Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    Maybe aTm and Mizzery should start their own conference. They obviously don't want to be part of ours.
    I don't blame Mizzu, ISU would be doing the same thing if we were in their position. aTm just has Texas ***** envy.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM