Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Local Media Bailing on ISU

So, the local media seems to be doing very little besides ragging on ISU. (to be clear, I got a chance to compare the Register to M&B to Mo'Midwest from yesterday afternoon) Things that make you go hmmmm.

- Miller and Brinson (sp?) going on about how much easier it will be for atm to get recruits now that they are in the SEC. I was curious as to how many more recruits they will loose to the SEC now that they are an SEC state.

- I missed one segment at 5:00 yesterday, but when I got back in the car at 5:20, they were backpedaling and, basically, apologizing. I got the impression they realized they went too far and to paraphrase:" ISU could be just fine in a year, we really do like ISU, blah, blah, blah".

- Mouth of the Midwest's cohort (John I think) going on about how ISU may be getting more money by they are falling farther behind UT, OU, atm, Missouri, and Kansas with the new contracts. I have read nothing that states or implies that KU and MU will be getting more than ISU. Also, an extra $5-7m for ISU will do a lot more than and extra $7-10m for UT.

- DMReg has had two articles regarding the atm situation and one of those was an AP article (that I could find on the web site). I will admit I like the position reports by Logue - good stuff there. But the only report in the last 2 days was the AP article!

This is just crap. Has anyone in the Media spoken with Pollard? M&B had some good contacts around the Big XII to get additional takes on the situation, but their doom and gloom take on poor ISU gets old. I fully realize that it could get ugly, but I get more from Chris' front page blog than from all the other local sources put together.

Believing in Kermuflin since 2009!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,226
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 6

Re: Local Media Bailing on ISU

This is why CW should be the face of Iowa State media coverage for the foreseeable future.

***King of Diplomacy***

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 276
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

nothing different that last year when this was all going on

Rookie
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Andy Garman is the biggest donk of them all. Incredibly uniformed. He friends with D.A. Points though. Nice Sports Director and sports talk radio host.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 118

Can you really bail if you were never on board?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 303

The 3:00 call should about be over. Let more rumors begin. Money talks more than anything else.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 76

What, specifically, do you expect the media to do (or be able to do) about this? Pretend everything is just fine? Ignore the situation?

The radio guys present opinions. That's their job. They also interviewed some Texas A&M website guy as well as the Texas guy. Should the Register send Logue down to Texas to dig something up? You wouldn't get those position reports while he's busy chasing his own tail.

The media is not a mouthpiece for the local universities (ask Iowa about their opinion of the media last January), nor should they be.

*** OFFICIAL 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC BIG 12 ELIMINATION COMPETITION CO-CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASKETBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011, 2012, 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011 and 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION ***

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by michaelrr1 View Post
    What, specifically, do you expect the media to do (or be able to do) about this? Pretend everything is just fine? Ignore the situation?

The radio guys present opinions. That's their job. They also interviewed some Texas A&M website guy as well as the Texas guy. Should the Register send Logue down to Texas to dig something up? You wouldn't get those position reports while he's busy chasing his own tail.

The media is not a mouthpiece for the local universities (ask Iowa about their opinion of the media last January), nor should they be.
    a) Maybe if the register sent someone down for the Big XII media days, Logue would have made some friends he could network through.

b) The Register IS currently ignoring the situation.

c) Get their facts straight before they mouth off on how ISU is falling behind in the Big XII

d) Balance their "end of the Cyclones" with some positive options for the Big XII. How good of a fit would ISU be in the Big East? What are the next best schools for the Big XII to extend an offer to? Maybe get some understanding of the benefit of having a BCS school in the area and explaining that to the audience.

e) I understand that it is a "Big XII" issue, but when they start spelling the doom of ISU, they should get the ISU side of the discussion (CW, John Walters, JP, ...)

As a poster above noted, this is the same type of coverage we heard last year. And, up until yesterday, they all had egg on their face from a year ago and admitted it. You would think they would learn from their mistakes and try to do it better this time around.

I like listening to Miller, but, through his admission and remarks from his former teammate, he doesn't do his homework. He relies on who he knows and, more importantly, who his partner knows. He is really just a commentator, and an uninformed/lazy (you pick which one is more accurate) one at that.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    The 3:00 call should about be over. Let more rumors begin. Money talks more than anything else.
    I guess I better go check out the Kansas City Star website then!

Here's the link to their sports section: Kansas City's source for Chiefs, Royals, KU, MU, K-State and Big 12 news | KansasCity.com

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 76

Quote Originally Posted by agcy68 View Post
    a) Maybe if the register sent someone down for the Big XII media days, Logue would have made some friends he could network through.
    All Logue could report at this point are rumors and opinions. That falls more on the columnists, not the beat reporters.

b) The Register IS currently ignoring the situation.
    You already said the Register printed an AP article about it. Doesn't sound like they are ignoring it.

c) Get their facts straight before they mouth off on how ISU is falling behind in the Big XII
    ISU IS falling behind!

d) Balance their "end of the Cyclones" with some positive options for the Big XII. How good of a fit would ISU be in the Big East? What are the next best schools for the Big XII to extend an offer to? Maybe get some understanding of the benefit of having a BCS school in the area and explaining that to the audience.
    There are no 'positive' options for the Big XII when teams keep bailing.

e) I understand that it is a "Big XII" issue, but when they start spelling the doom of ISU, they should get the ISU side of the discussion (CW, John Walters, JP, ...)
    How do you know the media hasn't reached out to ISU? CW is on KXNO pretty frequently. Someone like JP is not going to comment at this point.

As a poster above noted, this is the same type of coverage we heard last year. And, up until yesterday, they all had egg on their face from a year ago and admitted it. You would think they would learn from their mistakes and try to do it better this time around.

I like listening to Miller, but, through his admission and remarks from his former teammate, he doesn't do his homework. He relies on who he knows and, more importantly, who his partner knows. He is really just a commentator, and an uninformed/lazy (you pick which one is more accurate) one at that.
    It's still a breaking story and nothing is certain. It's hard to cover all the angles and possibilities right away.

*** OFFICIAL 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC BIG 12 ELIMINATION COMPETITION CO-CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASKETBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011, 2012, 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011 and 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION ***

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by michaelrr1 View Post
    It's still a breaking story and nothing is certain. It's hard to cover all the angles and possibilities right away.
    OK. So I will just wait for all the dust to settle and then check on what the register says about it. Got it.

I understand that this is a very fluid story, but newspapers need to decide if they are going to report news or history.

Last edited by agcy68; 08-13-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Not much actual expertise in local media. They are really just ordinary Joes who like to talk about sports. That is fine, but their opinions can't be given any more value than that. Who among them has ever been a college administrator or coach? What they know is what you and I know and that's whatever we have learned from our respective couches. I used to laugh my *** off listening to Marty and Miller because they literally watched sports on TV every night and then talked about it on the radio next day. That was it!! Well who the **** can't do that???

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

If you want to hear sports talk radio that defends the "forgotten 4" (MU, KU, KSU and ISU), try to tune in to 810 out of Kansas City. Doesn't always come in the best for me, but they are more than fair towards ISU considering they are in KC.

Pro
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 18

agreed M&B mostly M have speaking of this DOOMS DAY of ISU athletics for 2 years.. Lets not mention on ISU as a whole has excellent athletics all they way around. Great attendance, great fans, a great history, great coaches, great leadership. ISU is going to be fine, it is a strong institution that someone will want. The fans of ISU and attendance of all athletic events is even more impressive given the fact its the 2nd most popular school in a small state. P RHoades, Hoiberg, are well on their collective ways to join BF by putting ISU football and mens basketball on the national map regardless of which conference its in.

Last edited by Tedcyclone; 08-14-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 96

What is the Rag suppose to report, all we are getting is rumors and tid bits here and there. I dont like the Rag but they like to get their facts before printing something.

Are M&B that far off base? ISU is not an attractive school for a BCS conference, I feel we will be in one for the next 25 years but I doubt we are anyone's 1st choice. If you dont think ISU falling behind you need to get out more. ISU begs for money Texas has more money than they know what to do with. ISU, KSU, and Baylor are prob the only teams in the Big 12 that dont have huge corner stone donors.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne