Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 201
    Given: 102

I hope the true ISU faithful don't feel like this...

Was at a bar last night for my mom's birthday and was talking to a fellow Cyclone. He was discussing the potential demise of the Big 12. He stated if ISU was in any less than a power conference he would forgo being a season ticket holder in at least football. I asked him why and he stated half the reason he is a season ticket holder is because of the teams that come to JTS and the prestige of the Big 12. He said it would almost be an empty feeling if ISU feel to a lower level. I told him that that would be the time ISU would need you the most because there is no way conference expansion and contraction is just done after these superconferences appear. IF ISU dropped to a lower level conference and was able to build a winning tradition they should have an opportunity in the future to move to a power conference. So I have to ask are others thinking like this guy about forgoing their season ticket obligations or even considering dropping their following of ISU athletics if ISU drops to a lower level conference and maybe even following Iowa more?

Rookie
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Re: I hope the true ISU faithful don't feel like this...

chance for me to move up and closer to the action, I guess. This has always been and will always be my team. Enough said.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 25

If we aren't in a BCS conference, Iowa State's going to fall through the floor.

You'll never catch me dead cheering for Iowa, but my interest in Iowa State football would wane. We'd be the Toledo to Iowa's Ohio State.

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 68

It is always difficult to drop down a level, whether you're talking athletics, or income, or whatever. I would imagine that most of the old SWC teams would agree. Outside of TCU and their recent success, most of those schools probably average much less attendance, than in the 70's/80's.

The only saving grace would be if you went to a lower conference and started dominating, like TCU. But I'm not sure we could count on that.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

I would most definitely be less interested in college sports if we ended up in a non-BCS league.

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,342
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    Was at a bar last night for my mom's birthday and was talking to a fellow Cyclone. He was discussing the potential demise of the Big 12. He stated if ISU was in any less than a power conference he would forgo being a season ticket holder in at least football. I asked him why and he stated half the reason he is a season ticket holder is because of the teams that come to JTS and the prestige of the Big 12. He said it would almost be an empty feeling if ISU feel to a lower level. I told him that that would be the time ISU would need you the most because there is no way conference expansion and contraction is just done after these superconferences appear. IF ISU dropped to a lower level conference and was able to build a winning tradition they should have an opportunity in the future to move to a power conference. So I have to ask are others thinking like this guy about forgoing their season ticket obligations or even considering dropping their following of ISU athletics if ISU drops to a lower level conference and maybe even following Iowa more?
    Really? How many avid followers to non-BCS teams are there? The numbers would drop like a rock if ISU got relegated to mid-major, and possibly still drop if ISU got into some awful AQ league (talking about perception). It would get hard to ask my buddies "Hey, you want to go to the ISU/Miami (OH) game? It should be a really good one!"

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Pro
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,233
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 158

Basketball would still interest me, but my excitement level would drop dramatically to watch us play Northern Illinois and Fill-in-Direction Michigan College in Jack Trice.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 123

I'd probably go to games here and there, but I wouldn't be a season ticket holder if we're non-AQ.

That said, I don't expect it to happen.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 51

Honestly, I probably wouldn't go to as many games and (this is hard to say but) I probably wouldn't spend near as much time on CycloneFanatic.

I'd still be a fan but it would be harder to get excited for football season.

Addict
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 68

I would probably become more involved in basketball. You can still have a very good basketball program if you're in C-USA or the MWC.

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I agee with many of these comments. It's a nightmare to even speculate about I-State dropping down to a lower level conference. It would really be bad for the university as a whole.

As for me, living here in Dallas, Texas, I would never again have a decent opportunity to see the Cyclones play - live or on tv. And I'd never see anything written about them in the Dallas Morning News (not there's a lot now, but at least some).

I'd remain a fan, but not a very active one. That is to say I'd probably keep track of the football schedule and check the internet to see if they won. It would be a pretty pathetic situation since currently I live for college football season.

So let's not let this happen. If A&M leaves the conference there's still a reasonable chance of keeping the nine teams together. And maybe go after BYU.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I would have to believe our Alumni base and enrollment numbers are high enough to prevent the floor from falling. We would be the top school in pretty much any conference we fell too as far as facilities and academics. We would more than likely be able to recruit players that wouldn't have been academically eligible previously, which is how some of the lower tier teams get by competing against the big boys.

However, I don't take any of the doom and gloom too seriously, worst case scenario; Big East. Since I'm a basketball fan first that would be great.

Rookie
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    It is always difficult to drop down a level, whether you're talking athletics, or income, or whatever. I would imagine that most of the old SWC teams would agree. Outside of TCU and their recent success, most of those schools probably average much less attendance, than in the 70's/80's.

The only saving grace would be if you went to a lower conference and started dominating, like TCU. But I'm not sure we could count on that.
    Actually except SMU's numbers from the 80s (who had that pesky death penalty) it is all pretty similar for all the 4 castoffs with TCU and UH actually drawing more.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 95

It's not the die-hard Cyclone fans you have to worry about. It's the new fans we are trying to attract. It's the Match-ups with big time schools coming to Ames that help fill the remaing 20,000 seats. It's the TV Money that will no longer be there which will then make it even harder to win 9 games in a lesser league and hope to make a crappy bowl game. It won't matter how many Die-hard fans we have. Hell, we could put 50,000 in the seats for every game and it won't matter. The money lost that we got from just being in the Big XII will be enough to doom this program to an after thought. As much as the Hawkeyes love to tote their dominance over all things Iowa, if they dropped, they'd become irrelevant as well. It's a fact and it's been proven.

Everyone talks about how hard it is to recruit to Ames. Imagine if our one huge saving grace, BCS conference, is gone. Not to mention the budget to fly all over the country looking for recruits. We've never had the success as a program to hope to continue what has been started.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 32

I am not an ISU grad, only a fan. I've donated to the athletic department and also hold football season tickets and also appear at ISU basketball games (I would go to more, but I live 3 hours away).

That being said, if ISU was in a non-AQ league, I would lose complete interest in football. ISU could tear down half of Jack Trice and it still wouldn't be full. It's the honest truth. Basketball would be just as much fun, but we wouldn't attract the same recruits that we do now.

I don't see this situation happening though, so everyone needs to take a step back from the ledge.