Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 94

ISU vs. Iowa: The Media

Does anyone else feel that the media is the one who builds and builds up this game? Because I do. I posted this in another thread but wanted to get others opinions.

If we didn't get force-fed the Iowa-ISU crap from the media, this rivalry would be MUCH better IMO. Let the friendly bets and friendly smack talk with your friends and coworkers control this week...not what The Des Moines Register or anyone on KXNO says. It's all a ploy to get ratings and to sell papers...plain and simple.

It's a rivalry game that doesn't mean very much. The media wants to treat this game like it is the end-all-be-all of college football. Well...it's not. It's not even a conference game! I could see if it was Michigan/Michigan State or Kansas State/KU where the game actually has conference implications but this game has no more consequence than a game against Kent State or UNI.

We sell more tickets for the games against UNI than we do for Iowa. Same for Nebraska. Our top 3 attendance games are UNI, UNI, Nebraska...no Iowa in there. Sure its fun for bragging rights but all of this bitterness created by the media makes the game less fun IMO.

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 350
    Given: 631

Re: ISU vs. Iowa: The Media

good post... because, whew... I thought I was at fault.

I like putting the blame else where, just ask my wife.

- keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 13

I don't know if the media builds it up, but it does give a means to people building it up with comments through message boards, player comments or call in shows.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The media has something to do with it. I also think message boards fuel the flames. People tend to get more vicious in anonymous settings than they would if they were face to face, and what might be meant as good natured kidding around is harder to recognize when it's written down rather than said and heard in person. I think there's a segment of each fan base that is pretty rabid in their hatred of the other school, but for most fans, it's all in good fun.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,838
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 43

I really believe, if you stay away from local talk radio and message boards, you might not even know the game was this weekend. I have to admit I'm guilty. But, it's entertainment for me. No more than survivor is for my wife. I like to hear the banter. I get a kick out of people arguing about the outcome of a football game in which we have no idea how it will play out. To me, it's fun. It what makes it a rivalry game. This really isn't just another game because people you know and are probably friends with, or god forbid, married to, might be fans of that other school. To me, this is what college football is all about. Being face to face, working with, maybe even living with the fans of the other team. Take it for what it is. It's fun. So, when the media hypes it too much, do what I do, laugh. Because no matter what happens. I still have to go to work Monday. When that changes, maybe I'll start taking this stuff seriously.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

One thing that I think is unique to ISU-Iowa is the number of people who say they root for the other team except for the rivalry game. Also the media talks about how it is all good fun etc. In the other rivalries I have familiarity with Indiana/Purdue and Kentucky/Louisville no fans even pretend to root for the other school or to have a "friendly" competition.
    The media seems to want to have it both ways. Fan the flames but not burn the building.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by cigaretteman View Post
    The media has something to do with it. I also think message boards fuel the flames. People tend to get more vicious in anonymous settings than they would if they were face to face, and what might be meant as good natured kidding around is harder to recognize when it's written down rather than said and heard in person. I think there's a segment of each fan base that is pretty rabid in their hatred of the other school, but for most fans, it's all in good fun.
    Perfect Post here my friend....

People on this board sure are tough, and I'm sure on other boards as well. Lets put a name and picture in here and see how tough you are.

The media does start the fire... Its their jobs. They get paid to do that. HYPE... It sells. Us fans here then add fuel to the fire.

Then people like JonDMiller talks about it... Why? Cause we are talking about it. It sells, adds more fuel to the fire.

Then we attack him to no end.... We know who Jon is. We know where he works. We know what he looks like. Too bad we can't see everyone in here and then see how tough we are.

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Pro
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierinIowa View Post
    One thing that I think is unique to ISU-Iowa is the number of people who say they root for the other team except for the rivalry game. Also the media talks about how it is all good fun etc. In the other rivalries I have familiarity with Indiana/Purdue and Kentucky/Louisville no fans even pretend to root for the other school or to have a "friendly" competition.
    The media seems to want to have it both ways. Fan the flames but not burn the building.

The fan that cheers for both is rapidly decreasing as the series has gotten much more competitive over the past decade. Most of my Hawkeye friends despise ISU as I do Iowa. It's a matter of not letting it get personal which is sometimes hard to do.

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 2