Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

BCS or Football Independent

If the Big 12 breaks apart (I hope that it won't and don't believe that it will), then ISU should do its best to remain in a BCS league with the Big East or Pac-16 being the most likely options. If it cannot do so for whatever reason and those options are closed to ISU, then ISU should not jump to a non-BCS conference. Instead, it should look to become independent in football and for all other sports join a conference such as the MVC (most logical), Conf USA, the WAC or maybe even the Big East (if they would allow ISU as a member for other sports but not football). In my opinion, it would be the best and possibly only way to better ISU's brand enough to eventually get back into the club.

Some people will say Iowa is not big enough to support an independent. I say hogwash. BYU is going to make about $12 million in football TV money this year and will have all but 2 games broadcast on ESPN. The other two games will be broadcast regionally or on BYUtv. More importantly, it's brand has gone through the roof since it went independent. It is far more high profile now than it was just a year ago as a member of the non-BCS MWC.

BYU has a lower budget than ISU. While its attendance is slightly better, the ticket prices and giving requirements are lower than BYU. Utah has 953,950 TV households -- 588,140 less than the 1,542,090 TV households of markets based in Iowa (and not counting the 682,080 TV households in the Omaha and Sioux Falls markets that touch on Iowa). BYU does have 5 million total LDS members nation wide, but I would argue that the vast majority of them who are not BYU grads do not care about BYU football. ISU's alumni base is just as large as BYUs and its donors give more generously at this time. Agriculture continues to boom (more potential donors and advertisers) and ISU can bring good advertisers with it such as Hy-Vee, Pioneer, Iowa Corn Growers, Kum & Go and others. ISU could also open up beer advertising and sales at games as a revenue stream and no one could fault them for it if it were left out of the BCS conference shuffle.

What did BYU do to land its ESPN deal -- it scheduled like an independent needs to do. It has some high profile teams on future schedules, including Texas, Notre Dame, Mississippi, Oregon State and the annual show down with Utah. To survive as an independent, ISU would have to secure home and home deals with teams like Texas (going to be looking for mid to late season games if it is also an independent), A&M, Notre Dame, BYU, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Oregon, Nebraska, Penn State, Ohio State, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Illionois, etc, even if on slightly unfavorable terms for the best teams such as Notre Dame (ie. maybe ISU shares 20% of gate admission when they play at home). ISU should look to keep dates with the service academies and its annual date with Iowa as well. Scheduling 4-7 BCS or service academy schools on a home/home basis, ISU could then fill its remaining schedule, as BYU has done, with winnable games against teams from lesser conferences (some home only or a few 2 for 1's in places ISU would like to recruit such as Texas, Florida or S California). Accordingly, ISU would have the best of both worlds -- playing against high caliber teams that allows it to land a profitable TV contract while virtually assuring itself of a bowl game in most years. ISU will make up any monetary deficiencies in the home and home contracts with the big name schools it needs to schedule at the time it looks for its TV deal. Any games not picked up under its "Tier 1" tv deal with a nationwide distribution could be sold to ESPNU, Fox Sports, CBS College Sports, Versus/NBC Sports or to Mediacomm or another local or regional rights holders.

The MVC would be a geographical fit for ISU's other sports teams as the WCC is for BYU. ISU would instantly be the biggest fish in the conference in terms of money and facilities and hopefully its teams would respond accordingly. If the Big East allowed ISU in for basketball, then recruiting for its other sports probably would not even suffer and may be improved. If KU, MU and KSU were added, they might even fight for ISU as a member in basketball even if there is no room for it in football.

Bottom line, independence is not the best option for ISU. But, it is a far better option than full membership in a non-BCS conference. Surely, ISU should not panic. Status quo has worked for ISU basketball, but it has never really worked for ISU football. If ISU is savvy, I think it could look at future scenarios as an opportunity.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,864
    Given: 1,599

Re: BCS or Football Independent

We would never survive as an independent.

Due to religious affiliation, BYU has a built-in national audience that ISU does not have.

Unless you want to make some strange argument that engineers scatters around the nation are equal to BYU's natural base. I'd find it interesting to see how you'd pull that off.

Independence is not an option for us.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 75

JFC i have now seen it all.

Someone do us all a favor and just kill this thread.

I hope this guy is a troll just trying to get a rise out of us and not serious.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 25

Look at the OP's other posts. He's just dumb enough to be serious.

Rookie
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by royhobbs09 View Post
    Bottom line, independence is not the best option for ISU. But, it is a far better option than full membership in a non-BCS conference. Surely, ISU should not panic. Status quo has worked for ISU basketball, but it has never really worked for ISU football. If ISU is savvy, I think it could look at future scenarios as an opportunity.
    You serious? Independence is the worst thing that could happen for a school. Notre Dame can't even succeed being indy, and that is just in football. They have a conference home for everything else.

It'll be interesting to see how BYU fares as an independent, and they too have a conference home for all their sports outside of football.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 127

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 63

You serious, Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post
    PRICELESS!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    We would never survive as an independent.

Due to religious affiliation, BYU has a built-in national audience that ISU does not have.

Unless you want to make some strange argument that engineers scatters around the nation are equal to BYU's natural base. I'd find it interesting to see how you'd pull that off.

Independence is not an option for us.

Do you know how much TV revnue the MWC, probably the best non-BCS conference, makes for all sports? About $2 million per team. ESPN just paid Texas $15 million per year plus a share of profits for basically 1 football game and a handfull of men's basketball games. If we scheduled a home and home with Texas (assuming Texas goes independent in the blow up scenario), we could likely sell that one game on the open market every other year for about $2 million alone. Add in Iowa and 3-4 other BCS teams and it would be more. If you read my post, I didn't say independence is the best option. I also said we would need to couple our other (non-fb) sports with a conference. But, even if we make half of what BYU is now making on football alone, say $6 million, it is a $4 million better option than the MWC or Conf USA. That is all I am saying. Some of you have so little opinion of ISU's value it makes me sick.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by royhobbs09 View Post
    Do you know how much TV revnue the MWC, probably the best non-BCS conference, makes for all sports? About $2 million per team. ESPN just paid Texas $15 million per year plus a share of profits for basically 1 football game and a handfull of men's basketball games. If we scheduled a home and home with Texas (assuming Texas goes independent in the blow up scenario), we could likely sell that one game on the open market every other year for about $2 million alone. Add in Iowa and 3-4 other BCS teams and it would be more. If you read my post, I didn't say independence is the best option. I also said we would need to couple our other (non-fb) sports with a conference. But, even if we make half of what BYU is now making on football alone, say $6 million, it is a $4 million better option than the MWC or Conf USA. That is all I am saying. Some of you have so little opinion of ISU's value it makes me sick.
    I'll take whatever you're drinking/smoking. That's some wicked powerful stuff to make you this mentally messed up.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 127

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0]Billy Madison - Ultimate Insult (Academic Decathlon) - YouTube[/ame]

Addict
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,188
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 109

ISU as an independent is really poor understanding of the current state of NCAA football. ISU independent = ISU dead from a major sports standpoint.

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,864
    Given: 1,599

The MAC would be better for us than Independent status would be. The MAC.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 507

Not much to say...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explode.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	9760  

Pro
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30