Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 972
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Angry SPREAD OFFENSE - TOO CONSERVATIVE???

I know a lot has been written already about the past two games, but, the big disappointment for me has been the play calling - top to bottom. I understand the basis of the spread offense is to utilize the short yardage passing game as a supplement to a running game.

But, we do have a running game, we can hurt people with our running backs, i couldnt say that a year ago.

Why do we not have Franklin, Summrall or Blythe getting deeper balls? Are we being extremely conservative with the play calling not knowing what the level of our line play will be? Why do we not stretch the field even if its incomplete, the mere threat goes a long way in keeping the linebackers drops and safety's from playing up in the box.

My vision for our offense was a spread offense that kept the defense off balance??? That the deep threat would open other options, actual screens, tight end in the middle etc etc.

I'm disappointed like everyone else that were 0-2, but, in reality, we're 4-6 plays away from being 2-0 and then everyone would be singing praises....I understand it takes time to develop the program to the next level, i'm fine with that and will be patient and supportive.

But, we need to be making progress and showing things that will help us get the level of recruits that will take us to the next level. Right now, our offense should be a force, we do have talent on that side of the ball, we should be able to compete...right now, it looks like people are simply going through the motions....

Where is the offensive creativity and game planning that exploits our opponents weaknesses and mismatches - and don't anyone say we don't have that capability. Our players deserve more from us, we need to support them through this, don't let them put it in the tank. They can and will feed off the energy the crowd provides, it is a factor.

I know everyone is saying that the Iowa game will be a blow out....well they said that like 3-4 years ago iowa came in puffing their chest out only to isu kick their ***** all over the field. This season needs a jumpstart and the Iowa game just may again be a point in our season that we can build on. And even if we lose, if we do it fighting and clawing and showing the improvement, i will be as excited about the future as everyone was before the Kent State game.

Time for ISU to step up and win that first one, go clones!!!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 240

Re: SPREAD OFFENSE - TOO CONSERVATIVE???

I have not been thrilled with the play calling either. However, we've been behind for most of the game in both contests so far.

I would think, if we could execute them properly, we would've gone down field more in those games - trying to get back in them.

I'm not so sure it's an issue of play calling, but execution on offense. You can call the play, but if the guys on the field can't execute it, what's the point?

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 562
    Given: 1,098

IMO: we haven't gone deep because we can't protect Meyer. Look at the last 7 minutes of the UNI game, the right side broken down every single play we passed, no exaggeration. The coaches are calling plays our players can handle .... and this 3 step drops and then pass. Anything more gets Meyers sacked. I am shuddering at how many times Meyer will be running for his life from the 2 good DE's the UofI has.

- keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,221
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 0

Chiz said in his press conference that the down-the-field stuff is being put in slowly as the players better learn the system. He thought they did much more vs. UNI then KSU as far as downfield stuff.

As for Blythe - he said he wasn't getting off the line, so any timing routes they were running weren't there.

I think last years offense should have been much better but it sucked too. Not getting Blythe the ball goes back several years so my comment is - whats the common denomintor? Blythe. Not sure what it means but maybe being doubled all the time, or getting jammed at the line or whatever means he's not in a position to get the ball. Sure he's probably open at times, but is it when and where Bret expects him to be? I dunno....

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

i hear ya 22, my thoughts are what team prospered the most last year in recruiting - can you say Boise State.....Why, first their offense is extremely dynamic and kids want to play in that type of atmosphere...

The past two games at the JTS have been awesome from the pure atmosphere....game itself left a little to be desired - well actually a lot to be desired from an outcome aspect.....but, our boys are not nearly as bad as what some on here claim. Yes we lost to two teams that we should beat 99.9% of the time, but, as with anyone learning a new system etc etc.....learn, grow and the end result will be a benefit to the individual, the team, and the future of ISU football.

I just want to see 5-8 plays of trying to go down the field longer then 15 yards - a trick play from time to time, is that too much to ask?

One thing i've always heard, its hard to fully prepare for a team when you know they have a specialty play or scheme. For instance, anyone preparing to play V. Tech, better work extra on the special teams or you will have a point or kick blocked - Period....well if that takes away from other preparation - you winning the battle by dictating something to your opponent before the game starts.

Please O.C. McFarland, we don't have to open it up Texas Tech or Hawaii style - but, putting the threat of the deep ball out there with a quick fire offense will change how the defense plays you.

If i were the O.C. (and i'm not) - we get a decent return on the kick by summrall, we have the ball at our own 28 yard line, the crowd is a sea of Red - we come out in single tight end (in tight) giving look of run and play action - max protect and run two fly patterns, whichever direction the safety moves towards go the other direction on a bomb - set the tone - make them fear the long ball and the only real speed we have on the team at our WR.....

Changing the perception and attitude from the onset......

Go for it, send the message to your offensive players that were gonna kick their A%* and they will not be so quick to jump 8 in the box to stop bass like i predict will be the case....

Big time players for the week:
    Offense - Summrall 6 grabs and a touchdown
    Defense - Bell interception returned into EIU red zone settle for FG???
    Special Teams - Culbertson - Gamer winner 43 yarder!!!!! (i know i'm dreamin)

K

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You mention these other teams and their schemes - that's great. You can't just impliment one of 'em anywhere.

You first need to have the talent and then be able to execute it. We may have the talent/depth at wide receiver to do something like that.

However, I'd question whether we can block those types of plays and our QB has the decision-making skills in order to get the ball to the right person on each play.

So far, the answer to both of those questions is a simple, no.

Legend
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    However, I'd question whether we can block those types of plays and our QB has the decision-making skills in order to get the ball to the right person on each play.

So far, the answer to both of those questions is a simple, no.
    This is what I like about Arnaud when he was in there, he was making quick decisions. Whether it’s stepping up in the pocket or getting out of there and making plays, in the long run I think the offense can really open up with him at the helm…

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    This is what I like about Arnaud when he was in there, he was making quick decisions. Whether it’s stepping up in the pocket or getting out of there and making plays, in the long run I think the offense can really open up with him at the helm…
    First, Arnaud has better fundamentals than Meyer does. IMO, it's pretty easy to see that.

Having said that...

We saw Arnaud throw what...3 or 4 passes? Can't make any sort of assessment on that. If my memory serves me correctly, all of 'em looked to be 3-step drops. 1...2...3...throw/run. Even Meyer has been doing that much correctly this year.

So while I think Arnaud will be a great QB for us, it's way to early to judge his in-game performances.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 102

I'd like to see us get a lead of more than 4 points before I start calling anyone on the staff a terrible play caller. The percentages just aren't there for the deep ball. Especially the way we throw it. If your going to waste a play, you want to know it's not going to cost you the game. And the way we've been moving the ball, we can't afford any wasted downs. I know a lot of people think that the deep ball to Blythe is our saving play. The truth of the matter is though, we aren't consistent enough nor accurate enough to run that play regularly. Nor have we proven strong enough yet to handle the turnover in case it were to happen.

I really feel that if we were to ever jump out to a lead and consistently move the ball, we'd see a lot more from the offense. Right now though, we're not executing the basics. Play calling is one thing, but, if you can't execute the basics, how do you expect the more elaborate perfect timing stuff to work?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Question: Everything i've heard and seen leads me to really like Arnaud a lot....So, if he is the heir apparent like many expect, why did we yank the redshirt off of Bates for this year....if nothing else, get him out there in different packages and put the ball in his hands - if your gonna yank his redshirt, then lets use him, we all know he's an awesome athlete.

Split him out or line him up at Split tailback, pitch it to him and drag a tight end across with him, give him a run or pass option.

Anything thats beyond the 22 trap on two on two......Ready Break!!!!!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bates barely saw any action in the first game and didn't see a single snap in the 2nd.

So, as long as he barely sees action vs. Toledo and sees none in the conference games, his redshirt is still intact.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 0

I thought as soon as you played the redshirt game off. what are the reshirt rules in this case?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

To the best of my knowledge...

As long as you only play a certain % of non-conference plays (don't know what that is, although I doubt 3 plays exceeds the max) and no plays in conference games, the redshirt can stay on.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

According to the NCAA website:

"You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport."

Sounds like his redshirt status for this year is burnt to me.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 102

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I thought as soon as you played the redshirt game off. what are the reshirt rules in this case?
    According to the NCAA, even 1 play, against any outside competition, counts as an entire season. Eligibility FAQ: Seasons