Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Big 12 taking talk of A&M move to SEC "very seriously"

Big 12 taking talk of A&M move to SEC 'very seriously'

Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe told the American-Statesman Wednesday night that he is aware of reports that Texas A&M is in the middle of conversations about joining the Southeastern Conference and is "taking it very seriously."

Beebe helped hold the league together just more than a year ago after Nebraska and Colorado left the Big 12 and joined the Big Ten and Pac-12 leagues, respectively, and said he has "confidence that we'll work out whatever the issues are and go forward."

Beebe has not been in contact with any Texas A&M administration members, including president R. Bowen Loftin, who released a statement on Wednesday that read: "President (R. Bowen) Loftin is committed to doing what is best for Texas A&M not only now, but also in the future. We continue to have wide-ranging conversations regarding all aspects of the university, including both academics and athletics."

One high-ranking Big 12 school official said Wednesday night, "If A&M has a chance, I think they'll go for it. Loftin sure didn't stop it (rumors)."

At the basis of the new unrest of A&M and other Big 12 members appears to be growing, conference-wide acrimony toward Texas' powerful relationship with ESPN and the formation of the hugely profitable Longhorn Network later this month, which may be pushing the Aggies toward joining the SEC. A&M flirted with that league last summer before remaining with Texas and eight other schools in the newly configured, 10-member Big 12. Texas, too, considered joining the Pac-10 along with Texas Tech, A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado.

Beebe just returned home to Dallas from a retreat in Indianapolis, where 56 college presidents and commissioners discussed the possibility of sweeping changes for the way the NCAA conducts business in dealing with student-athletes.
    While there, he discussed the Aggies situation with Texas president William Powers, who was also at the NCAA summit.

"I've been doing that and dealing with this firestorm at the same time," Beebe said. "I'll put it this way, I'm taking it very seriously. I've been talking to a number of people. Obviously, there are a significant number of Aggie supporters who are interested in going in that (SEC) direction.

"There's a huge risk if an institution leaves its geographic proximity and rivalries. In the long run, it can create a lot of problems."

The Big 12 school official told the Statesman he had heard that the Big 12, to survive in the event of A&M's departure, would consider inviting Notre Dame and Arkansas to join, but he admitted those schools were unlikely to be interested.

Other possibilities, the source said, include Houston, Louisville, Brigham Young and Air Force. He saw TCU which joins the Big East next year as an unlikely school to approach.

"I don't know if this could go down in a month or a year or in weeks," the source said. "But it's taken on a life of its own. I would just tell A&M to be careful what you wish for."

Beebe declined to discuss any scenarios involving the Big 12 if A&M were to leave.

He added that A&M would be subject to the same exit fees for leaving the conference using a formula based on league revenue distribution as were Nebraska and Colorado.

"You always have to think about all the possibilities," he said of any schools that could be invited if necessary. "Twelve was always the maximum number of teams that were desired, but that's as far as I can go publicly."

The talk of A&M's secession caught many by surprise, especially since the league represented a front of solidarity after the school athletic directors met a week ago and voted unanimously to put a one-year moratorium on the Longhorn Network broadcasting high school football games. The network, which pays Texas $300 million over 20 years, is set to debut Aug. 26.

"We had a tremendous meeting with the athletic directors," Beebe said. "My view was everybody was comfortable with it."

Even Texas Gov. Rick Perry entered the growing discussions involving A&M's possible exit and told The Dallas Morning News he was aware of the conversations before deferring all further comments to the Aggie decision-makers.

"I'll be real honest with you," Perry said. "I just read about it the same time as y'all did. ... As far as I know, conversations are being had. That's frankly all I know. I just refer you to the university and the decision makers over there."

Rookie
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Re: Big 12 taking talk of A&M move to SEC "very seriously"

Imagine that, our doofus commissioner is talking about the A&M move with Texas president William Powers but has not made any contact with the folks at A&M.

The article mentions some possible replacement candidates should A&M leave, in Arkansas and Notre Dame. The sources says they probably wouldn't be interested (wouldn't blame them). But the others are fairly solid: Houston, Louisville, BYU, Air Force.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

It has to be hard to wish for something soooo hard that you obsess about it every day.

I would suggest that you take up a hobby instead of spending all of this time obsessing about your hopes for Iowa State to fall to the MAC.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 117

Quote Originally Posted by mikem View Post
    It has to be hard to wish for something soooo hard that you obsess about it every day.

I would suggest that you take up a hobby instead of spending all of this time obsessing about your hopes for Iowa State to fall to the MAC.
    Honestly... i think there's more smoke here than any time since the first realignment last year. Major media guys starting to get in on this.

MAC isnt happening though. If not big 12, best case Big East, worst case MWC.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 832
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

As far as actual content. A&M thinks that they are in a strong position right now. They apparently have this SEC offer waiting for them. They are obviously trying to get the best deal for themselves, which is what they should do.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Honestly... i think there's more smoke here than any time since the first realignment last year. Major media guys starting to get in on this.

I think we have three scenerios that can play out:

1-A&M stays in the long run and we remain as is (at this point I would say 50% likelihood but just days ago I would have been more like 75%)

2-A&M bolts to SEC; the Big 12 grabs BYU and maybe more and gets back to 12 teams

3-A&M bolts to SEC and the conference crumbles; OU, OSU, TT head to the PAC 10, Texas becomes independent, ISU, KU, KSU, MU head to Big East, Baylor ****ed.

CyBer

I think there is a 100% chance that I'm going on Vacation tomorrow and then come back and this thread will be going still (or a similar one).

Starter
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCyclone View Post
    Unhappiness with UT network places school on course to SEC

By BRENT ZWERNEMAN
    COLLEGE STATION BUREAU

Aug. 10, 2011, 8:33PM

A&M has a foot out door

COLLEGE STATION The Longhorn Network isn't going away, and because of that neither is the likelihood that Texas A&M will end up in the Southeastern Conference, most likely in 2013 but perhaps even next year.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 570
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Beebe is pathetic, if he hasnt even extended any contact to Texas A&M. Its like you hear rumors your wife is leaving you, but you dont even approach her about it.
    I know its been said before, but Beebe needs to be pro-active, not re-active. Approach BYU, Louisville, Air Force now extend the offers. Notre Dame would be great, however its a longshot. NO WAY Arkansas comes and I shriver at the thought of Houston.

As a newer ISU fan (2004)... its just pathetic to watch this play out and us just sit by the side.

Any thought to Iowa ever stepping up for us and supporting a move to the Big10 if they went to 16?

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by CDN_Tailgater View Post
    Beebe is pathetic, if he hasnt even extended any contact to Texas A&M. Its like you hear rumors your wife is leaving you, but you dont even approach her about it.
    I know its been said before, but Beebe needs to be pro-active, not re-active. Approach BYU, Louisville, Air Force now extend the offers. Notre Dame would be great, however its a longshot. NO WAY Arkansas comes and I shriver at the thought of Houston.

As a newer ISU fan (2004)... its just pathetic to watch this play out and us just sit by the side.

Any thought to Iowa ever stepping up for us and supporting a move to the Big10 if they went to 16?
    No.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Walk On
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Yeah Right, when hell freezes over and pigs fly!

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post

Paul Rhoads nor Wally Burnham nor Jamie Pollard have intended to work for a non AQ program. It won't happen.

Because if it did we'd be out a coach and any AQ quality recruits. Being in an AQ league is ISU's single biggest recruiting advantage and without it ISU is a totally different program and one that the aforementioned coaches are not interested in nor could we afford them anymore.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Starter
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 235
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 23

Going into the final practise weeks, this is a major downer and distraction for the ISU coaching staff.

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Texas Rangers - 2011 & 2010 American League Champions!

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 490
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Heck no! They dream of the demise of ISU.