Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Relocation advice

Fanatics-

I probably shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but I am getting antsy.

I am interviewing for a job in the Eddyville area. Being from another state, I have limited knowledge of the area. In the event that I do get the job, where should I live?

Things I would take into account:

• I am 22, and as such would like to live at least near somewhere I could have a good time, otherwise I will probably be making a lot of trips to Ames.
    • I will be making pretty good money for a recent graduate, but I still have loans to pay off so saving money is still important. That would mean rent and gas money has to be taken into account
    • I have a junker for a car, until I make enough money to buy something else.
    • I would prefer to live in the vicinity of a gym so I can work off all of this recent weight gain
    • I have a friend who works at the same place, and lives in Ottumwa. That would be the only reason any town has an edge over any other.
    • I am from a small town, and love that type of life. I, however, loved living in Ames.

The lady who spoke to me about the position had an office in minneapolis so she didn't know squat about the area. She said she thinks most employees live in pella.

Thanks in advance

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Relocation advice

What position are you applying for? Kinda sounds like a job my friend just interviewed for in Eddyville lol

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 102

My advice? Commuting = wasted life. Plus I bet you could live dirt cheap in Eddyville. If it's anything like the small town I'm originally from, I bet you could buy a decent house for $60,000. Or at least rent something nice for well under $300/month. Live close to work, save money on rent and gas (the short commute mitigates the need for a nicer car), and go visit your buddy in Ottumwa on the weekend for a good time.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,465
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 289

Quote Originally Posted by illinoiscyclone View Post
    Fanatics-

I probably shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but I am getting antsy.

I am interviewing for a job in the Eddyville area. Being from another state, I have limited knowledge of the area. In the event that I do get the job, where should I live?

Things I would take into account:

• I am 22, and as such would like to live at least near somewhere I could have a good time, otherwise I will probably be making a lot of trips to Ames.
    • I will be making pretty good money for a recent graduate, but I still have loans to pay off so saving money is still important. That would mean rent and gas money has to be taken into account
    • I have a junker for a car, until I make enough money to buy something else.
    • I would prefer to live in the vicinity of a gym so I can work off all of this recent weight gain
    • I have a friend who works at the same place, and lives in Ottumwa. That would be the only reason any town has an edge over any other.
    • I am from a small town, and love that type of life. I, however, loved living in Ames.

The lady who spoke to me about the position had an office in minneapolis so she didn't know squat about the area. She said she thinks most employees live in pella.

Thanks in advance
    My son did an internship with Cargill Eddyville some years back. He stayed in Oskaloosa. It's a small town but has a college, William Penn. The town is very pleasant, clean and has nice old buildings. Welcome To The City of Oskaloosa

It's an easy drive up Hwy 163 to get to Des Moines for some bigger action. Personally I wouldn't recommend Ottumwa or Eddyville.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 35

Hard to pick one - Pella would be by far the nicest town, but would be a bit of a drive. Ottumwa and Oskaloosa both have well-deserved reputations as ****holes, but I'm sure there are decent areas in both. You might as well live in Eddyville and save the commute rather than live in either of those places. Don't know too much about Albia, other than I think there is a good steak joint there - may be worth checking out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 820
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by zwclones51 View Post
    What position are you applying for? Kinda sounds like a job my friend just interviewed for in Eddyville lol
    I am superstitious about these things and I don't even really like talking about interviews until they are over. However, I don't think they have interviewed yet, so probably not the same position.

Prospect
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 23

When I was in my mid-twenties I lived in Oskaloosa for few years (late 80's early 90's). My wife has family that lives in Fremont, Ottumwa, and Eddyville. Personally, I would hate to have to live in the area again, just not the types of communities I care to live in. I also prefer the conveniences of larger metro areas. Osky is the easiest drive, then Ottumwa, then Pella. Osky and Pella would be closer to DSM/Ames, which is where I suspect you would spend alot of time come the weekends.
    Albia might be another option. I think it is small, but it always seemed like a nice community when I passed though...more so that Eddyville or Osky. At least that's my two cents.

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 683
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

I agree with the others who said to just live in Eddyville. I grew up in the general area and always drove by it on my way up to Ames. I hate to break it to you, but none of the places in the area are going to have a nightlife at all similar to Ames.

1) Ottumwa has a huge meat packing plant which makes it smell bad. It does have a good mexican restaurant though.
    2) Osky doesn't have a whole lot there. It does have William Penn, but there are only like 400 students at that school.
    3) Albia has the least of all of them, plus it's far away. It has a Pamida, and you know a town is no good when it has one of those.
    4) Pella might have some kind of night life, but it's pretty far away.
    5) Never been to Eddyville itself so I can't help you there. I think there is some kind of race track there, if you're into that stuff.

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,030
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 324

I would choose Pella or Oksy. Don't know much about Albia. Ottumwa is the wrong direction from DSM/Ames.

Pella also has Red Rock right close by so you might pick up some summer lake activities for recreation if you're close by to there.

No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by agrabes View Post
    I agree with the others who said to just live in Eddyville. I grew up in the general area and always drove by it on my way up to Ames. I hate to break it to you, but none of the places in the area are going to have a nightlife at all similar to Ames.

1) Ottumwa has a huge meat packing plant which makes it smell bad. It does have a good mexican restaurant though.
    2) Osky doesn't have a whole lot there. It does have William Penn, but there are only like 400 students at that school.
    3) Albia has the least of all of them, plus it's far away. It has a Pamida, and you know a town is no good when it has one of those.
    4) Pella might have some kind of night life, but it's pretty far away.
    5) Never been to Eddyville itself so I can't help you there. I think there is some kind of race track there, if you're into that stuff.

You are obviously not familar with Dutch communities...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
    You are obviously not familar with Dutch communities...
    My thoughts exactly.... I am from NW Iowa and Pella is like Orange City, DUTCH! If you want to go out drinking, you go to the neighboring towns so no one sees you.... lol

I went to college thinking I wanted a career; turns out I just wanted paychecks.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 26

I would probably go with Osky if I was you. You'd be ok in Eddyville or Ottumwa as well but the commute from Osky isn't that much..maybe 15 minutes give or take. I'd say most people have a commute at least that long. I drive 45 miles to work every morning so I'd kill for 15 minutes. I live in Bloomfield and have several friends that work at Cargill, which is a 45 minute drive for them as well. That place has a pretty high turnover for various reasons so know that going in.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

If you like small towns, but liked Ames....you can't do much better than Mason City.

Look at it. Most people think it's trashy but it's the exact opposite...lots of jobs too.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 142

You need to look at Chillecothe, lots of affordable housing, especially if you like fixer-uppers. Right on the river for catfishing, turkey and mushroom hunting right out your back door.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,145
    Given: 233

Quote Originally Posted by GreenRocketCY View Post
    If you like small towns, but liked Ames....you can't do much better than Mason City.

Look at it. Most people think it's trashy but it's the exact opposite...lots of jobs too.
    Umm...he's interviewing for a job in Eddyville, Iowa. That's at least 170 miles.