Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 58,892, Level: 75
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,158
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,446
    Points
    58,892
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 11

    Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    Link

    I don't know where these preseason ratings numbers come from, but typically the point spread is within a point or two of the Sagarin Predictor. Obviously, the numbers will change as the season goes along, but this is all we have to work with for now.

    Using these numbers, and factoring in home-field advantage, here's a rough idea of point spreads for this season: (The favorites are listed first. The home teams are in caps. Bold when ISU is a favorite)

    IOWA STATE -8 vs. Northern Iowa
    Iowa -11 at IOWA STATE
    CONNECTICUT -10 vs. Iowa State
    Texas -12 at IOWA STATE
    BAYLOR -4.5 vs. Iowa State
    MISSOURI -16.5 vs. Iowa State
    Texas A&M -6 at IOWA STATE
    TEXAS TECH -14 vs. Iowa State
    IOWA STATE -2 vs. Kansas
    Oklahoma State -11.5 at IOWA STATE
    OKLAHOMA -24 vs. Iowa State
    KANSAS STATE -7.5 vs. Iowa State



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 58,892, Level: 75
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,158
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,446
    Points
    58,892
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 11

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    From these point spreads, we can get an approximate Win % Expectancy for every game on the season using this. These are as follows:

    Northern Iowa -- 74%
    Iowa -- 20%
    @ UConn -- 23%
    Texas -- 18%
    @ Baylor -- 37%
    @ Missouri -- 11%
    Texas A&M -- 34%
    @ Texas Tech -- 15%
    Kansas -- 53%
    Oklahoma State -- 19%
    @Oklahoma -- 5%
    @ Kansas State -- 27%

    This adds up to an expected record of 3.36 and 8.64.



  3. #3
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    I would have guessed we would have been favored more for UNI.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 59,308, Level: 75
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,075
    Points
    59,308
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    Well done. I don't like these particular objective numbers very much, but generally speaking, I like objective numbers. Here's to the team coming out and exceeding everyone's expectations this year.


    Seneca Wallace.

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 72,425, Level: 83
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SvrWxCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,851
    Points
    72,425
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    Keep in mind these computer ratings are nearly entirely dependent upon last years' results and statistics, it won't be until after 3-4 games that you really get a good idea from computers regarding what is going on...

    Good to look at for fun, but I don't find them too useful at this point with nothing from the current season for computers to go on.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 143,072, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    WhatchaGonnaDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,146
    Points
    143,072
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 331
    Given: 204

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    I find it hard to believe that we have a better chance of beating A&M, Baylor, and OSU than TT...



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 31,485, Level: 54
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 465
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CykoAGR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waukee, IA
    Posts
    1,675
    Points
    31,485
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 70

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    Link

    I don't know where these preseason ratings numbers come from, but typically the point spread is within a point or two of the Sagarin Predictor. Obviously, the numbers will change as the season goes along, but this is all we have to work with for now.

    Using these numbers, and factoring in home-field advantage, here's a rough idea of point spreads for this season: (The favorites are listed first. The home teams are in caps. Bold when ISU is a favorite)

    IOWA STATE -8 vs. Northern Iowa
    Iowa -11 at IOWA STATE
    CONNECTICUT -10 vs. Iowa State
    Texas -12 at IOWA STATE
    BAYLOR -4.5 vs. Iowa State
    MISSOURI -16.5 vs. Iowa State
    Texas A&M -6 at IOWA STATE
    TEXAS TECH -14 vs. Iowa State
    IOWA STATE -2 vs. Kansas
    Oklahoma State -11.5 at IOWA STATE
    OKLAHOMA -24 vs. Iowa State
    KANSAS STATE -7.5 vs. Iowa State
    IMO ISU covers against:
    UNI, Iowa, UCONN, Texas, TTU, Kansas and K-State maybe baylor but IDK

    I dont see us covering against:
    Mizzou, ATM, OSU or OK

    I will get ripped for the Mizzou comment but they are stacked.


    “It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 61,542, Level: 76
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,624
    Points
    61,542
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 175

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    Keep in mind these computer ratings are nearly entirely dependent upon last years' results and statistics, it won't be until after 3-4 games that you really get a good idea from computers regarding what is going on...

    Good to look at for fun, but I don't find them too useful at this point with nothing from the current season for computers to go on.
    So really it's not much different than any of the human polls that will come out between now and mid-September.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 61,542, Level: 76
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,624
    Points
    61,542
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 175

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    IMO ISU covers against:
    UNI, Iowa, UCONN, Texas, TTU, Kansas and K-State maybe baylor but IDK

    I dont see us covering against:
    Mizzou, ATM, OSU or OK

    I will get ripped for the Mizzou comment but they are stacked.
    I agree with you on Missouri. They return nearly everyone except Gabbert, and it sounds like their latest QB is picking things up quickly. They've had three consecutive outstanding college QBs. David Yost has been the QB coach there since 2001 - I think he knows how to develop talent.

    I also think Texas could go either way. Those guys could be Top 25 or they could be in the bottom half of the conference. I see they've got BYU and UCLA before us, so at least we should have a decent idea where they sit before playing them.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 62,626, Level: 77
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Omaha Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,113
    Points
    62,626
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 76

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    Quote Originally Posted by besserheimerphat View Post
    I agree with you on Missouri. They return nearly everyone except Gabbert, and it sounds like their latest QB is picking things up quickly. They've had three consecutive outstanding college QBs. David Yost has been the QB coach there since 2001 - I think he knows how to develop talent.

    Yost has also struggled with how to attack the new fangled 3 man fronts teams are showing Mizzou as well. Having 8 months off to think about it may have changed that, but Navy put it on em in the bowl game a couple years back and it still worked last season.


    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 34,792, Level: 57
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,225
    Points
    34,792
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 76

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    Link

    I don't know where these preseason ratings numbers come from, but typically the point spread is within a point or two of the Sagarin Predictor. Obviously, the numbers will change as the season goes along, but this is all we have to work with for now.

    Using these numbers, and factoring in home-field advantage, here's a rough idea of point spreads for this season: (The favorites are listed first. The home teams are in caps. Bold when ISU is a favorite)

    IOWA STATE -8 vs. Northern Iowa
    Iowa -11 at IOWA STATE
    CONNECTICUT -10 vs. Iowa State
    Texas -12 at IOWA STATE
    BAYLOR -4.5 vs. Iowa State
    MISSOURI -16.5 vs. Iowa State
    Texas A&M -6 at IOWA STATE
    TEXAS TECH -14 vs. Iowa State
    IOWA STATE -2 vs. Kansas
    Oklahoma State -11.5 at IOWA STATE
    OKLAHOMA -24 vs. Iowa State
    KANSAS STATE -7.5 vs. Iowa State
    i pray to the god of skinny people that the UNI vs ISU spread is 8 pts in vegas, it will fund the rest of the season for me.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 185,898, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,391
    Points
    185,898
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 350

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    I keep thinking that the TAMU line should be 16 not 6.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 431,059, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    State43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    10,852
    Points
    431,059
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 181

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    I keep thinking that the TAMU line should be 16 not 6.
    Agreed. I think the TTech game will be closer than the A&M game for sure. I think UConn should be 7.5 and KState should be 4.5



  14. #14
    CyBer
    Guest

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    i pray to the god of skinny people that the UNI vs ISU spread is 8 pts in vegas, it will fund the rest of the season for me.

    They are supposed to be pretty good, however UNI good and Iowa State good are two different things.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,730, Level: 80
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    d4nim4l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    4,790
    Points
    67,730
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

    Re: Sagarin Ratings / Pre-Season Point Spreads

    Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    Yost has also struggled with how to attack the new fangled 3 man fronts teams are showing Mizzou as well. Having 8 months off to think about it may have changed that, but Navy put it on em in the bowl game a couple years back and it still worked last season.
    This is exactly why I think we pull out the Mizzou game this year.

    Yost = great college QB coach but not a good offensive coordinator.

    His in game adjustments leave a lot to be desired and he appears to ride the arm of his QB too often rather than rely on the run game.



    Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM