Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23

Re: Cardinal Rules and Fight Song

Quote Originally Posted by tube1 View Post
    I never realized they kept score for band performances. This is probably why the UNI Band was booed - to get them off their game.
    Haha. It sounds like our band DID get beat by UNI's band on Saturday according to Skyh13's official band scoreboard.

UNI: 6 Fight Songs
    Iowa State: 3 Fight Songs

That is quite the Fight Song ***** beating. I can't believe we got beat by 3 whole fight songs...how embarrasing. 2 Fight Songs I can see, but 3?!?!

What needs to be done to get the drum majors to open up the playbook? We need to throw it to the trumpets more because they are clearly our best player.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

For the record, I love our band, but I'm with dinger. The Fightin' Aggie Band was phenomenal.

I do have one thing to say regarding this thread that I remembered this morning, and it has nothing to do with the fight song or how many times it was played.

Did anybody else think that the scene at JTS was a pi**-poor excuse for a Cardinal Rules (or red-out, if you like) game? I can't speak for the student section or the east side, but I do remember looking at the west side and seeing a LOT of white and gold. For a game where EVERYBODY was supposed to be wearing red, I honestly wouldn't have even known there was a promotion going on, because JTS looked like the smattering of colors it does for every other game. I've been told that even the student section wasn't even solid red (more like 80-20).

I didn't bring my camera, but if anyone has pictures of the crowd, would you please post them? I'd be interested to see if I'm right/wrong.

How are we supposed to unite as a fan base behind a new vision or coach when we can't even unite to wear the same color at a football game?

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    Our band put on a freak'n Awesome halftime performance that put UNI's band to shame
    I don't know about that... I love our band and all, but the "Star Trek" halftime theme didn't exactly rock my socks off. In my opinion, UNI was better at halftime only because of their music selection, not because they are a better band (because they aren't).

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

[quote=cycloneworld;182099]Haha. It sounds like our band DID get beat by UNI's band on Saturday according to Skyh13's official band scoreboard.

UNI: 6 Fight Songs
    Iowa State: 3 Fight Songs

That is quite the Fight Song ***** beating. I can't believe we got beat by 3 whole fight songs...how embarrasing. 2 Fight Songs I can see, but 3?!?!

What needs to be done to get the drum majors to open up the playbook? We need to throw it to the trumpets more because they are clearly our best player.[/quote]

Haha, very funny...

Actually I wasn't even counting the couple times we played Waltz Fights, and also the Roving Band played fights at least a couple times too...

Walk On
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I don't know if the band has all their songs picked out for the year but I think it would be fun for them to play Brad Paisley's "Online" song. It even played by a marching band at the end of the song. Here's a clip:
    The members of the marching band are allowed at the end of the year to recommend any song or tunes for the next year to be played as stand tunes or shows. If you don't know a MB member to tell ask them to nominate maybe we should start a thread. I'll see what I can do to get some members working on arranging some into stand tunes for the director to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    My biggest disappointment with our band on Saturday was they only played Cowbell once - they didn't do "Faster". However they also squeezed it in for us, so I was happy to have it period.
    This is hard to squeeze in as the band is only allowed to play when the scoreboard is not and this is controlled by someone above our director. So it is sometimes hard to do during time outs and in between quarters. That is why sometimes it is spanned out between a couple different instances and sometimes played after the game is over. There were a lot of disappointed people when it was only played one time through.

Quote Originally Posted by dinger7203 View Post
    i strongly disagree...i remember the texas a&m game a couple years ago. i realize you guy are going to argue that its not a competition, but you got your ***es handed to you that night.
    Texas A&M does put on one hell of a show for the crowd, but their drill although looks complicated is easy and their music usually isn't all that complicated. They also almost always have their shows look very similar to each other. Don't get me wrong Texas A&M still is a great band and is comparable to Iowa State's band but I rank us above them due to the difficulty level of our content. To those who don't know much about MB I can see why they would have kicked our ***es though.

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    For the record, I love our band, but I'm with dinger. The Fightin' Aggie Band was phenomenal.

I do have one thing to say regarding this thread that I remembered this morning, and it has nothing to do with the fight song or how many times it was played.

Did anybody else think that the scene at JTS was a pi**-poor excuse for a Cardinal Rules (or red-out, if you like) game? I can't speak for the student section or the east side, but I do remember looking at the west side and seeing a LOT of white and gold. For a game where EVERYBODY was supposed to be wearing red, I honestly wouldn't have even known there was a promotion going on, because JTS looked like the smattering of colors it does for every other game. I've been told that even the student section wasn't even solid red (more like 80-20).

I didn't bring my camera, but if anyone has pictures of the crowd, would you please post them? I'd be interested to see if I'm right/wrong.

How are we supposed to unite as a fan base behind a new vision or coach when we can't even unite to wear the same color at a football game?
    I'm currently on an internship this semester in Des Moines and I didn't even have a clue that it was "Red-out" night. I'm still attending every game but I'm just not on campus often. Speaking for the crowd who aren't students where are these promotions being promoted at. I know I really didn't see it anywhere for the crowd to know. Maybe it was in the Rag or something which I don't read but how is it expected to work if in my mind the promoting of such an event was a poor excuse of promotion.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Baffan View Post
    Texas A&M does put on one hell of a show for the crowd, but their drill although looks complicated is easy and their music usually isn't all that complicated. They also almost always have their shows look very similar to each other. Don't get me wrong Texas A&M still is a great band and is comparable to Iowa State's band but I rank us above them due to the difficulty level of our content. To those who don't know much about MB I can see why they would have kicked our ***es though.
    youre right i dont know anything about MB (which i am assuiming is band lingo for marching band). but if your stuff is SO hard, why dont you perform the EASY stuff that a&m does, because while a few crowd members will appreciate the difficult acts that you do, people like me would rather see a&m. might as well do what entertains the majority, all goes back to the KISS policy.

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Although most of what the MB (yes bad lingo for marching band) is about pleasing the crowd it is also about what the people involved want and what the people that are die hard members want.

A lot of the members like doing shows which they think are entertaining such as Star Trek shows. They also like to do a lot of shows that have great musical content in them since there are quite a few music majors in the band. We also do shows which are classic marching shows that have been done over and over forever and also do shows to please not just the student body but parents with little ones. Examples of that would be something like Little Mermaid and Lion King which was done last year I believe.

From a marching perspective we would rather do a complicated show that looks simple but is challenging for the people actually putting on the show.

It also has to do with our marching style. We do a set by set look at the what is supposed to be a pretty picture where as Texas A&M do a box style marching where you just stay in a line with people next to you.

The marching band does a very wide variety of music and drill, I think to try and suite the different styles that each individual has. I personally think it would be cool for next year to have a show that is similar to the marching style of Texas A&M I'll have to remember that.

Another good point to remember is that Iowa State usually does a brand new show every game with an average of five 1 1/2 hour practices. Where as the "quack, quack" marching band that will be here this weekend is doing a repeat show that they have once this year I think and done previous years in the past.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The A&M Band performs the same show, same music for every game...every year. There really isn't any variety. Their purpose and history is (obviously) more military..more for function over substance.

THE ISUCF"V"MB is distinct because of the quality of the music, drill and energy. I am proud to be an alum and enjoy seeing the band maintain that standard when I see them at annually at Homecoming.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I really like the variety of shows and pop culture references that our band does - Homer's "DOH", the varrious batman symbols (that was freak'n sweet), the Enterprise torpedoing the hawks... (even going so far as to do it with the twirler to get the sparkle effect that you see in the show...) Good stuff.

It's hard to compare our band to A&M because they put on 2 completely different types of shows (as far as I can tell), but I'm glad our band mixes it up because seeing the same show game after game would be pretty darn boring

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cybone View Post
    The A&M Band performs the same show, same music for every game...every year. There really isn't any variety. Their purpose and history is (obviously) more military..more for function over substance.

THE ISUCF"V"MB is distinct because of the quality of the music, drill and energy. I am proud to be an alum and enjoy seeing the band maintain that standard when I see them at annually at Homecoming.
    That my friends is called "tradition". I am certainly not knocking our band but we have got to get some traditions built that involve the band and crowd working together.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    That my friends is called "tradition". I am certainly not knocking our band but we have got to get some traditions built that involve the band and crowd working together.
    I agree. While the ISU MB may be a fantastic band and win many band competitions, I'd rather that the band did more to get the crowd involved at halftime. I wanted to fall asleep listening to Star Trek. It reminded me of hearing the Star Trek theme song coming on TV before I went to bed when I was younger.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Everyone can agree that A&M does what they do very, very well. However, as has been mentioned, A&M can only do one thing. They do the exact same thing for every single show in the history of that band: military marches with that sort of "follow-the-leader" drill style. They don't play anything else, they don't march any other way. They are phenomenal at that, but I find that the ISUCF"V"MB "wins", per se, through its musical talent and variety and flexibility.

For those complaining that the UNI band was playing more than ours: it's true. However, our band is bound in chains to The Man In The Press Box, whereas their band was (apparently) free to play whenever the hell they felt like it as long as the ball wasn't in play. Seems like their players didn't mind too much...

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Walk On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote " However, our band is bound in chains to The Man In The Press Box"

This is 100% true and actually angers the ISU MB because we want to get the crowd going and it is not in any of our control.

As far as traditions goes, there are actually some traditions that the marching band does every home game. Things like the march in which there are usually quite a few people that come and watch but also a large majority of spectators who do not. We also have the "Cow Bell" tune that the drum line plays and the fans can sing along with. As far as something going on at halftime for a tradition I don't see the point.

I'm not in the band this year due to my internship but at the Kent State game I was YELLED at for standing up during half time. Thats right YELLED at. How about for a starter a tradition can be standing up and cheering for the band or at least stand up and cheer when the play fights off the field. There are plenty of opportunities for the crowd to start traditions but its has to come from both ends. The marching band is doing what they are permitted to do by the higher ups, now it is up to the crowd to do their part by cheering along with fights and go cyclones go and For I for S and Cow Bell and so on and so forth.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Cardinal Rules Game was announce on all of the schedules that they give out, it said Cardinal Rules Game on the tickets, it was all over cyclones.com, it was even in the package with your season tickets that everyone received in the mail. I'll agree that it just says Cardinal Rules Game or something like that...so it doesn't ever come out and directly say WEAR RED (except for CYCLONES.com all week long). However, I would think by now people should know what to do when it says Golden Rules or Cardinal Rules games, definately those that were at games last year.

Last edited by Cyano; 09-11-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 107

The band sucks...