Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 31

Cardinal Rules and Fight Song

A big deal was made out of wearing the Red Cardinal Rules Shirts for the UNI game. On the back of the Cardinal Rules shirt it stated.

1. Know the Fight Song
    2. Sing it Loud

And then the Fight Song Lyrics

Now did ANYONE notice that we only sang the Fight Song ONCE during the WHOLE game. And that was in the FOURTH QUARTER with 10 minutes left,

Why don't we just change the Official School Song to "Sweet Caroline"?? It seems we sing that more than the Fight Song. I also noticed that our Cheer Squad can't lead cheers. There is absolutely NO cohesive form of cheering done. I realize there has been a lack of things to cheer about.

I remember back in the old days the ISU Fight Song was played about once EVERY QUARTER. Cheerleaders led section cheers with things like LET'S GO STATE with two columns each saying one word. Or had cheers where one side of the stadium would chant DEE-FENSE and then the other side chanted DEE-FENSE. Jack Trice really rocked in those days.

I was really disappointed that our Band and Cheer Squads were also soundly defeated by UNI in that aspect of the game also.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Re: Cardinal Rules and Fight Song

Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    A big deal was made out of wearing the Red Cardinal Rules Shirts for the UNI game. On the back of the Cardinal Rules shirt it stated.

1. Know the Fight Song
    2. Sing it Loud

And then the Fight Song Lyrics

Now did ANYONE notice that we only sang the Fight Song ONCE during the WHOLE game. And that was in the FOURTH QUARTER with 10 minutes left,

Why don't we just change the Official School Song to "Sweet Caroline"?? It seems we sing that more than the Fight Song. I also noticed that our Cheer Squad can't lead cheers. There is absolutely NO cohesive form of cheering done. I realize there has been a lack of things to cheer about.

I remember back in the old days the ISU Fight Song was played about once EVERY QUARTER. Cheerleaders led section cheers with things like LET'S GO STATE with two columns each saying one word. Or had cheers where one side of the stadium would chant DEE-FENSE and then the other side chanted DEE-FENSE. Jack Trice really rocked in those days.

I was really disappointed that our Band and Cheer Squads were also soundly defeated by UNI in that aspect of the game also.
    Um... excuse me?

First of all, the band lost to no one. Second of all, you're wondering why the UNI band played their fight song so much? Let's look at what happened on the field.
    (By the way, this is how the band stuff works)

About 4 touchdowns, right? That = 4 Fight Songs.
    Then, 2 interceptions? That = 2 Fight Songs.
    All together, 6 Fight Songs. Along with one at the end I'm sure (I couldn't even hear their band from across the stadium, so I'm assuming here cause this is how stuff works).

As opposed to ISU...
    2 touchdowns = 2 Fight Songs
    1 Interception (I think) = 1 Fight Song
    That's 3 Fight Songs, along with an extra one that we sang in the 4th Quarter, probably because the team was close to us on the field and we've been told that we can't really play when they're close 'cause apparently it's too loud, but we still wanted to show some spirit.

So that makes a total of 4 Fight Songs. That's a lot more than 1, and actually, we almost played one every quarter as it was. Oh, and I forgot.. we also played it right after the game. So 5 for the night.

By the way, I could also hear the student section cheering cohesively. Not always, but more than the rest of the crowd.

So... yeah. I disagree.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't remember singing the Fight song after our First Touchdown....no else in our section did either. I didn't know there was an unwritten rule that we could only sing after a score.

Don't know what game you were at. We had ZERO interceptions and ZERO fumble recoveries. And when I am talking about the Fight song, I am talking about the ISU FIGHT SONG.

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State.
    And may her colors ever fly.
    Oh we will Fight, Fight, Fight for Iowa State.
    With a Will to Do or Die, RAH RAH RAH.

Loyal sons forever true
    And we will fight the battle through
    And when we hit that line
    We'll hit 'em hard every yard for I-S-U.

And rather than play the Fight song when everyone has left the stadium, it would make more sense to play the Fight song about Five minutes or so BEFORE Game time.

If Jack Trice Stadium is to be the loud vocal place that we all want, the Cheer Squad has to get the WHOLE STADIUM rocking. Not just the Student section.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I don't remember singing the Fight song after our First Touchdown....no else in our section did either. I didn't know there was an unwritten rule that we could only sing after a score.

Don't know what game you were at. We had ZERO interceptions and ZERO fumble recoveries. And when I am talking about the Fight song, I am talking about the ISU FIGHT SONG.

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State.
    And may her colors ever fly.
    Oh we will Fight, Fight, Fight for Iowa State.
    With a Will to Do or Die, RAH RAH RAH.

Loyal sons forever true
    And we will fight the battle through
    And when we hit that line
    We'll hit 'em hard every yard for I-S-U.

And rather than play the Fight song when everyone has left the stadium, it would make more sense to play the Fight song about Five minutes or so BEFORE Game time.

If Jack Trice Stadium is to be the loud vocal place that we all want, the Cheer Squad has to get the WHOLE STADIUM rocking. Not just the Student section.
    Dude, you really don't pay attention, do you? We play ISU Fights after EVERY TD, Turnover, sometimes just randomly. In fact, we played Waltz Fights after each TD as well, so thats FOUR times, not including the couple other times we played it just for the hell of it. We also play "For I, For S" which is also an ISU spirit song. Don't hate on the band just because you were too drunk to know what was going on.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I hope we hear the fight song often Saturday and please NO MORE SWEET CAROLINE!!!!

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think this post was a direct slam to the band. It was "know the fight song and sing it loud" night. I would have like to sing it loud a couple more times as well.

I think the band is great and hope they keep up the spirit and loyalty that they show for the fans and the team!

Just in case you didn't know... I'm a girl.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh, and one more thing. We do play the fight song before the game, in fact, we're playing for about a whole 15 minutes before the game starts. What are you watching? In our pregame we play Fanfare, which is just a loud version of parts of different fight songs, Fights TWICE, Go Cyclones Go, and For I, For S, not to mention the Alma Mater.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Rookie
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I was really disappointed that our Band ..... were also soundly defeated by UNI in that aspect of the game also.
    I have never seen our Band defeated. Never in a lot of years. Now I was unable to attend Saturday's game but find it impossible to buy into your perception.

Walk On
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

For those of you who only heard the fight song one time then you must have been sitting in a lame section. This is the first time in three years not being in the band so I stood in the stands in the very Northeast corner so I could yell at the band and have fun. They did play the fight song after every touchdown and one time in the fourth quarter and then another time after the game. Not playing the fight song after a touchdown is not something that happens.

Also being so close to the band not only means I can hear every stand tune they play but the section I sit in sings along with all of them. It sounds like to me some people need to come sit in my section or at least find a new, or what would really be nice is to start yelling at the people sitting next to you for NOT joining in because that is the reason you are not aware it is happening. Case in point our student section is somewhat pathetic.

Cheer squad and band can only yell and play so loud. We students have to chime in and carry that sound to the rest of the stadium. I'm not saying that people on this thread don't chime in when they hear it is going on but a lot of the problem is the rest of the student body and fans NOT chiming in.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I wish you all had the opportunity to see a game at LSU.

They do play music prior to games but after the band takes the field for its pregame performance there is no more "piped in" music...no Metallica, no AC/DC...just the band. The band uses its pregame performance to get the crowd into the game...kind of a cheer practice that goes with the songs of LSU they play. The team comes onto the field to the fight song. The band plays certain tunes when LSU scores (and the fans accompany with cheering) as well as when the defense makes a stand (again the fans accompany with a cheer). It is just awesome.

Frankly, I am a little tired of all of the adoption of "jock rock" and pyrotechnics at college sporting events. Leave that crap in the pros where they really don't have any fight songs (except for the Redskins).

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I don't know if the band has all their songs picked out for the year but I think it would be fun for them to play Brad Paisley's "Online" song. It even played by a marching band at the end of the song. Here's a clip:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsacuS2tQbQ"]YouTube - Brad Paisley - Online (Ending Song)[/ame]

I usually enjoy the band shows but I'd rather see some more upbeat songs for the halftime shows than some of these movie themed shows that sometimes have the slower and softer sounding stuff.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1982 View Post
    I have never seen our Band defeated. Never in a lot of years. Now I was unable to attend Saturday's game but find it impossible to buy into your perception.
    I never realized they kept score for band performances. This is probably why the UNI Band was booed - to get them off their game.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My biggest disappointment with our band on Saturday was they only played Cowbell once - they didn't do "Faster". However they also squeezed it in for us, so I was happy to have it period.

Our band put on a freak'n Awesome halftime performance that put UNI's band to shame

I dunno about you guys, but I sang the fight song more than once during the game... he** I'd already sang it once or twice before I was even let into the stadium , and probally again before the band got into JTS. If they aren't playing it often enough for you, then stand up and sing it loudly yourself. If you're surrounded by good fans they'll join in

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not hating on the Band. In the SE corner of Jack Trice, we either didn't or couldn't hear the fight song. Got into the game about 10 minutes or so before kickoff so must have missed the Pre-game Fight song. It just didn't seem like we sang the Fight Song as much as Sweet Caroline.....which I hate.

I'll pay better attention this Saturday. Drink less beer......MORE Bloody Marys.

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1982 View Post
    i strongly disagree...i remember the texas a&m game a couple years ago. i realize you guy are going to argue that its not a competition, but you got your ***es handed to you that night.

maybe my opinion isnt fair though, since i go to the games to watch the football team...not watch / listen to the band.