Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0

Just heard Deace talking about the team

And it really got me thinking. He made what I think are some great points about this team. He said they were not executing and they are just playing terrible, and really called out Chizik and said he needs to do a better job of a few things. He said the talent isn't as bad as the performance on the field. I don't think the talent is great... but I don't think it's that bad. Some good points I thought he made and don't take these straight up, I'd hate to misquote the guy:

1. Chizik is sending mixed messages to the team - all off season he said that your job is on the line every week - and then after the first game he said guys have 4 weeks to lose their job.

2. His intensity is so high and there is so much tension right now that it's palpable in the stadium. He said a lot of the mental mistakes could be because players are playing scared - they aren't focusing on the field they are just worrying about the thunder that's going to be called down when they make a mistake. That's why we're seeing some ridiculous stuff like snaps over the head, muffed punts, etc. Basically guys aren't comfortable in the system because they aren't comfortable with the coach. They put in all this work and they aren't seeing results and they don't have that respect for the coach. Either patch things up with the team and make peace or strip mine it, bye bye seniors, and build for the future.

3. Chizik is playing the middle with his assitants. He's a cover 2 guy, and Bolt is a big blitz guy which is two schools of thought. We heard him talk about how running the ball is what it's all about but McFarland is a guy who wants to spread it all around and get it in a bunch of different guys' hands. Basically he hired a bunch of guys who are his buddies who may not be in the same place philosophically. He said he either has to do one of two things - turn it completely over to his assistants and let McFarland run the offense he wants and Bolt run the defense he wants, or totally micromanage everything. He said that he wants to be a CEO of the program, but he's still injecting his stuff somewhat. He needs to drop that and micromanage, or let his guys do it their way.

This wasn't exactly what he said and I undoubtedly screwed some stuff up.

I thought Deace had some absolutely fantastic insight tonight and if you guys have mediacom still I would really recommend listening to Cy-Hawk Talk state of the Nations on Thursday.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 630
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 31

Re: Just heard Deace talking about the team

I haven't seen them play yet, but after reading and hearing all the pre-season chatter and then listening to the first two games, I would not be shocked to learn that everything stated here is going on. And if it is, I don't think it's too early for a Come to Jesus meeting with the entire team and Pollard.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Prone2Clone View Post
    I haven't seen them play yet, but after reading and hearing all the pre-season chatter and then listening to the first two games, I would not be shocked to learn that everything stated here is going on. And if it is, I don't think it's too early for a Come to Jesus meeting with the entire team and Pollard.
    Pollard had better not be there in any team meetings. His job is to set Chizik up for success, we don't want him turning into a dictator on how things should be done. He needs to stay away from the program except through Chizik.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    He said a lot of the mental mistakes could be because players are playing scared - they aren't focusing on the field they are just worrying about the thunder that's going to be called down when they make a mistake. That's why we're seeing some ridiculous stuff like snaps over the head, muffed punts, etc. Basically guys aren't comfortable in the system because they aren't comfortable with the coach. They put in all this work and they aren't seeing results and they don't have that respect for the coach. .
    Wouldn't surprise me if that's right. My daughter played high school basketball in a similar situation. The whole team played like robots ... trying not to make mistakes for fear that the coach would explode.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8

As for Deaces quotes, It says to me new coach new system. Nothing more, nothing less. This is a poke at GC, maybe not intentional, but Deaces point is understood by me.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Pollard had better not be there in any team meetings. His job is to set Chizik up for success, we don't want him turning into a dictator on how things should be done. He needs to stay away from the program except through Chizik.
    Right. We don't need a Jerry Jones type in Ames.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Chizik clearly hasn't been able to get these players to perform to their ability. But I honestly doubt that Deace or anyone knows the reason why. If anyone does, it is either or both of Chizik and the players. And neither of them are going to tell us.

One thing I agree with . . . if we are going to be this bad, bench the seniors and let the players with eligibility left play and get better.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Sorry but Deace doesn't have a ton of credibility with me in regard to discipline. The guy can not stand any coach with any strict discipline. He has basically admitted to having a strict father and despises any coach that runs a military approach. It does not surprise me at all to hear comments like maybe the players can't perform in this. Deace is just reliving his fear of his father and making opinions on any other coach that has strict discipline.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. Pollard should have NOTHING to do with what goes on in practice, during a game, in the film room, etc. He made the hire, and now should sit back and let Gene do his thing.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Why do we even worry about what Deace says? He's probably just made because his beloved Blue are getting their butts kicked. Also if you remember he wanted a certain coach from Central Michigan to be hired and said that any other hire would be a terrible mistake that he could never support. Besides what makes him an expert?

Walk On
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    Sorry but Deace doesn't have a ton of credibility with me in regard to discipline. The guy can not stand any coach with any strict discipline. He has basically admitted to having a strict father and despises any coach that runs a military approach. It does not surprise me at all to hear comments like maybe the players can't perform in this. Deace is just reliving his fear of his father and making opinions on any other coach that has strict discipline.
    Did Deace grow up with a strict father or did he find out later in life who his true father was ? Wasn't it at that point he screamed NO !!! ? I do think I saw or read that story somewhere. Just not sure Deace has a sister the likes of Leia ?

Except for McKenzie... how many players actually decided not to return ? Topic of discussion at work today.... couldn't really name any others that came to mind within the 2 deep. I disagree with the notion of players not comfortable with the coaching staff.... Many of the coaching comes within their position coaching groups and not heard anything to suggest bad will.

WE ARE 2 GAMES into the season..... 2 GAMES.... This kind of talk and speculation is crazy... I would not be surprised if without "giveaways" we CAN

BEAT IOWA !

GO CLONES

Go Clones !

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 6

So far I've read that it's been Chizik, the assistants, Blythe, Meyer, the o-line, the d-line, the kicking game, the fans, and now Pollard's fault. Wow.

Losing makes people crazy.....myself included. I really hope we beat Iowa this weekend to read how great we are afterwards.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 67

So, supposedly, the players are making mistakes because they are afraid of getting yelled at by Chizik, and because they are uncomfortable with the system. Let's think about this...the players are making the same stupid mistakes they made last year, and for a few years before that. If fear is the big problem here, I guess last year the players must have been afraid DM of too. I thought they loved DM, and that he was their "father" figure. Why would they be afraid of him? Clapping anxiety???

If the problem is being uncomfortable with the system, then the players must have been uncomfortable with DM's system last year as well. How long does take for these players to get comfortable with a coach? It's college you know, you only get four or five years.

If Deace is right about any of this, it sounds like the team is composed of a bunch of insecure, coddled, prima-donas. I hope that's not true, cuz if it is, ISU should have hired Dr. Phil, not Gene Chizik.

The rest of it sounds like wild speculation. I don't supposed he mentioned where he got this inside information from...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Walk On
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    So, supposedly, the players are making mistakes because they are afraid of getting yelled at by Chizik, and because they are uncomfortable with the system. Let's think about this...the players are making the same stupid mistakes they made last year, and for a few years before that. If fear is the big problem here, I guess last year the players must have been afraid DM of too. I thought they loved DM, and that he was their "father" figure. Why would they be afraid of him? Clapping anxiety???

If the problem is being uncomfortable with the system, then the players must have been uncomfortable with DM's system last year as well. How long does take for these players to get comfortable with a coach? It's college you know, you only get four or five years.

If Deace is right about any of this, it sounds like the team is composed of a bunch of insecure, coddled, prima-donas. I hope that's not true, cuz if it is, ISU should have hired Dr. Phil, not Gene Chizik.

The rest of it sounds like wild speculation. I don't supposed he mentioned where he got this inside information from...

Wow... very nicely said !

Go Clones !

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    And it really got me thinking. He made what I think are some great points about this team. He said they were not executing and they are just playing terrible, and really called out Chizik and said he needs to do a better job of a few things. He said the talent isn't as bad as the performance on the field. I don't think the talent is great... but I don't think it's that bad. Some good points I thought he made and don't take these straight up, I'd hate to misquote the guy:

1. Chizik is sending mixed messages to the team - all off season he said that your job is on the line every week - and then after the first game he said guys have 4 weeks to lose their job.

2. His intensity is so high and there is so much tension right now that it's palpable in the stadium. He said a lot of the mental mistakes could be because players are playing scared - they aren't focusing on the field they are just worrying about the thunder that's going to be called down when they make a mistake. That's why we're seeing some ridiculous stuff like snaps over the head, muffed punts, etc. Basically guys aren't comfortable in the system because they aren't comfortable with the coach. They put in all this work and they aren't seeing results and they don't have that respect for the coach. Either patch things up with the team and make peace or strip mine it, bye bye seniors, and build for the future.

3. Chizik is playing the middle with his assitants. He's a cover 2 guy, and Bolt is a big blitz guy which is two schools of thought. We heard him talk about how running the ball is what it's all about but McFarland is a guy who wants to spread it all around and get it in a bunch of different guys' hands. Basically he hired a bunch of guys who are his buddies who may not be in the same place philosophically. He said he either has to do one of two things - turn it completely over to his assistants and let McFarland run the offense he wants and Bolt run the defense he wants, or totally micromanage everything. He said that he wants to be a CEO of the program, but he's still injecting his stuff somewhat. He needs to drop that and micromanage, or let his guys do it their way.

This wasn't exactly what he said and I undoubtedly screwed some stuff up.

I thought Deace had some absolutely fantastic insight tonight and if you guys have mediacom still I would really recommend listening to Cy-Hawk Talk state of the Nations on Thursday.
    My response to SD:

1) How much success are players going to have if they fear competition in a sport that is based on being the toughest competitor on the field.

2) If players can't handle the adversity of an intense coach, how are they going to hold up to the violent adversity they face on the field. If you're going to be successful in football you need to believe you are the toughest, baddest player on the field.

This isn't checkers. Football is a physical and violent game. Maybe the coach is trying to increase the adversity these players face in practice and in the locker room to prepare them mentally for the adversity they will face on the field.

If players aren't prepared to handle intensity then they are going to struggle to be successful on the field.

3) As to the comments about strategy. Well, all I can say is I'll leave the X and Os to those that have made a career out of coaching as opposed to someone who's expertise is grounded in video games.