Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Costco or Sam's Club?

I have been thinking about getting a membership to one of these places but i am not sure which one. Which store has better prices? Is the membership fee the same for both?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,203
    Given: 3,796

Re: Costco or Sam's Club?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Clone View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a membership to one of these places but i am not sure which one. Which store has better prices? Is the membership fee the same for both?
    For me, in Minnesota, Costco was the better option. Keep in mind that if you go Costco in Iowa there is currently only the one store in the entire state. I also found that the Executive Membership was a better deal because I would earn back in rewards more than the extra amount I was paying in membership fees. You also can get an American Express card for free with the Executive Membership. You can get cash back with purchases on the AMEX card as well.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 209

Cost for membership is the same I believe. I had a Sam's Club membership when I was at ISU. I have a Costco membership now that I live in an area where Costco is an option. Costco is a lot better in my opinion, mainly because of the clientele that frequents there. The service is a lot better too. Every worker whom I've ever talked to at Costco is friendly.

Their bakeries are awesome, and they have a really good meat selection as well.

Also, Costco was recently rated the top retail store: Costco Named Top Retail Store According to Consumer Reports Study | Business 2 Community

Twitter: ColbyDigsSoil
    Clash of Clans: Colby
    Untappd: ColbyDigsSoil

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

Costco is $50/yr, Sam's is $100/yr.

As far as I can tell the prices on products are going to be similar but the two clubs sometimes carry different products - for instance, Costco carries Huggies diapers and Charmin TP while Sam's Club carries Pampers diapers and Quilted Northern TP. In other words, it's hard to be "product loyal" at a wholesale club, unless you get memberships at both places (which some people do).

Also, keep in mind that Costco is strictly cash/check/debit card. The only credit card they accept is American Express. I don't know how Sam's plays that.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 610
    Given: 240

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Costco is $50/yr, Sam's is $100/yr.

As far as I can tell the prices on products are going to be similar but the two clubs sometimes carry different products - for instance, Costco carries Huggies diapers and Charmin TP while Sam's Club carries Pampers diapers and Quilted Northern TP. In other words, it's hard to be "product loyal" at a wholesale club, unless you get memberships at both places (which some people do).

Also, keep in mind that Costco is strictly cash/check/debit card. The only credit card they accept is American Express. I don't know how Sam's plays that.
    I pay $40/yr. The $100 might be a membership level thats higher than mine.

Starter
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Clone View Post
    I can't speak for Sam's Club but I'll put in an endorsement for Costco. I've always enjoyed shopping there, plus it's close to Lowes, Jordan Creek, etc. so you can combine trips if you want. I live in NE Ankeny and stock up at Costco every 3-4 weeks.

We have the Executive Membership at $100 plus the Costco AmEx card. Those two things combined easily pay for the cost of membership, and probably 2-3x that depending on how much you use the card.

The trick is to pay close attention to prices. Some items are priced very well compared to regular stores (Captain Morgan!), others (like soda) are no better than what you'd find elsewhere.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,463
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 0

COSTCO!!!!!!!!!

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Legend
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 358
    Given: 251

Another one in the Costco camp.

Bear in mind, as with any buyer's club organization, that not everything at Costco is a great deal.

And I'm addicted to Costco's Veggie Straws...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 108

Was thinking of doing the same thing since we are having kid number 3 come in January. I like the idea of Costco since i have been there with friends but i go by the Ames Sams Club 2-3 times a week. Parents have Sams Club and it isn't bad either. Is the Costco worth the extra trip to Jordan Creek or would I be better off going with Sams Club since it would be much more convenient for me.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

I belong to both...go Costco.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    Was thinking of doing the same thing since we are having kid number 3 come in January. I like the idea of Costco since i have been there with friends but i go by the Ames Sams Club 2-3 times a week. Parents have Sams Club and it isn't bad either. Is the Costco worth the extra trip to Jordan Creek or would I be better off going with Sams Club since it would be much more convenient for me.
    It probably depends on which store you like better. I have young kids too which is why I go only every 3-4 weeks and just load up. By not going that often it's not that huge of an inconvenience.

The one downside to Costco - and maybe this is true with Sam's Club, I don't know - is the hours are a bit more restricted than most stores. I think they close at 8 p.m. on weeknights and 6 p.m. on weekends, or something like that. I'm sure later hours are less profitable and closing earlier helps keep costs down, but sometimes it's a race against the clock to get in and out by closing time.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,203
    Given: 3,796

Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    Are you buying infant formula? We found that what we saved on formula alone paid for our original standard Costco membership. That doesn't include the $ we saved on milk every week. The difference in milk prices between Costco and a supermarket here in the TC is unbelievable.

I can't attest to what the prices are at Sam's. I do know that the in-laws always want us to take them to Costco whenever we are in town despite the fact that they have a Sam's membership. I can count on one hand the number of times we have gone with them to Sam's.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 2,081

If you're married, don't join either. Woman don't understand that buying things in bulk that you don't need isn't actually a "good deal."

Edit. With that being said, we use it for things like eggs, diapers, etc.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Are you buying infant formula? We found that what we saved on formula alone paid for our original standard Costco membership. That doesn't include the $ we saved on milk every week. The difference in milk prices between Costco and a supermarket here in the TC is unbelievable.

I can't attest to what the prices are at Sam's. I do know that the in-laws always want us to take them to Costco whenever we are in town despite the fact that they have a Sam's membership. I can count on one hand the number of times we have gone with them to Sam's.
    Good info. And yes we will be buying formula if baby #3 follows in the same path as the first two. How do the cost of diapers compare to a walmart, target, etc.

I guess my other main question for anyone out there is can you essentially go grocery shopping at a Sams or Costco (fresh veggies and fruit, etc.) and if so does it save you money.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    If you're married, don't join either. Woman don't understand that buying things in bulk that you don't need isn't actually a "good deal."

Edit. With that being said, we use it for things like eggs, diapers, etc.
    I'm not worried about my wife. She is by far the more frugal one between the two of us.

I came from a family where we worked hard but we played hard as well and enjoyed life. She cam from a family that rarely left their house and her dad would get upset if her mom spent money on groceries because he felt you could survive off of just the hogs he butchered and eat sausage for every meal.