Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 622
    Given: 390

Doubt

Billy Hunter expects entire NBA season to be canceled - ESPN

Players Association executive director Billy Hunter says the 2011-12 NBA season will likely be canceled entirely because the commissioner's negotiating leeway is in danger of being undermined by a group of hard-line owners.
    "The circumstances have changed among [David Stern's] constituency," Hunter told a group of lawyers Wednesday, as quoted in the Baltimore Sun. "In the last six or seven years, there is a new group of owners to come in who paid a premium for their franchises, and what they're doing is kind of holding his feet to the fire."
    Hunter told an American Bar Association conference that if he "had to bet on it", he would wager that there will be no NBA season.
    "We're $800 million apart per year," Hunter said Wednesday, adding, "something has to happen that both of us can use as leverage to save face."
    You're the man, Billy, do something or otherwise we will have Euro style bball when they come back.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 495
    Given: 276

Re: Doubt

I still think a deal will get done before any regular season games are missed. If, in November, the players are sitting at home or tearing it up in some godforsaken gym in Turkey or wherever, then it's a real problem. Until that point, I just take all this talk of a missed season from both sides as an empty threat and posturing for the media.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 618
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 216
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by jbindm View Post
    I still think a deal will get done before any regular season games are missed. If, in November, the players are sitting at home or tearing it up in some godforsaken gym in Turkey or wherever, then it's a real problem. Until that point, I just take all this talk of a missed season from both sides as an empty threat and posturing for the media.
    I think the NBA will miss at least half of the season. I would be shocked if there was a deal before the season began. This isn't the NFL lockout where the main problem was how to divide up all the insane amounts of money they were making, the NBA has serious financial problems and it sounds like most owners are ready to sit out the whole season.

I'd start picking a favorite Euroleague team for next season.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,023
    Given: 206

Quote Originally Posted by jbindm View Post
    I would bet everything I have that you're wrong. The NBA is in financial hell right now with the amount of teams losing money. I would expect this thing to drag out at least 3 times longer than the NFL.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

I will be shocked if they don't at the very least miss some regular season games like they did during the last lockout because this one sounds even worse this time.

NBA players have the highest average salaries of any pro sports including NFL and MLB and the gap isn't in close. Some of these players make even more money off the court in endorsements than they do playing. All this talk of the stars going overseas to play, I think actually hurts the players association because you just showed the owners you are willing to play for less money. I'm hoping several of them are dumb enough to go overseas and one of the big name players gets injured and has his NBA contract voided. I bet that would open some eyes and help get a deal done.

Go Cubs Go!