Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 222

Tv+Computer+Wi-Fi

Alright, you'd think as an engineer I'd be more of a "tech guy", but I'm not so I am seeking one out.

Last fall I bought an LG LED-tv with wi-fi capabilities. It's been great, and one feature we've really liked is the built-in netflix streaming. The amount of usage we get from that without really putting a dent in our queue has convinced us that we can break Mediacom's hold on us, at least as far as cable TV is concerned.

I am fine with this except for one thing: Sports! I know that it is not too hard to find most ISU games online, and even have ESPN3, but I HATE watching anything for long periods of time on our desktop. I have toyed with idea of getting a dedicated "media computer" for the tv in the past, but we just bought a new Mac desktop a year ago as well, and it seems to me that if the tv is wi-fi enabled there must be a way to just connect our current computer to the tv over the wi-fi network.

I've looked at AppleTV, but I can't tell if it actually does what I want or is just a double-up of features my TV already has on it's own (netflix, etc.). I'm also not enough of an Apple junkie to believe that there's not possibly a cheaper way of accomplishing the same thing. I open it up to CF for suggestions.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Tv+Computer+Wi-Fi

We too are considering dumping Directtv and its $100/month price tag. Our current set up has a non-wifi tv, a laptop hooked up through an HDMI output and appletv. My wife is all mac and the appletv is very cool for streaming her itunes library to the home stereo as well as netflix. I don't see how apple tv will work for espn3 or other sports streaming sites though but its so new I may not know all it can do yet. My suggestion would be to get a dedicated computer, perhaps a good used model. Have heard many people use Mac Minis for this, but I would think a PC would work just fine as well. We are still in contract through the end of the year with Directtv, but with the netflix and computer to stream espn3 and other sites like justin.tv, I don't see keeping it once the contract is up

Rookie
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 533
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

IoGear has wireless audio/video gear. I have used some of this before and it was ok.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    We too are considering dumping Directtv and its $100/month price tag. Our current set up has a non-wifi tv, a laptop hooked up through an HDMI output and appletv. My wife is all mac and the appletv is very cool for streaming her itunes library to the home stereo as well as netflix. I don't see how apple tv will work for espn3 or other sports streaming sites though but its so new I may not know all it can do yet. My suggestion would be to get a dedicated computer, perhaps a good used model. Have heard many people use Mac Minis for this, but I would think a PC would work just fine as well. We are still in contract through the end of the year with Directtv, but with the netflix and computer to stream espn3 and other sites like justin.tv, I don't see keeping it once the contract is up
    An older computer would work just fine for running a TV. Until last October I had a 2006 Staples-special running my TV and it worked just fine. I could watch online content and the only bottleneck was my connection speed (not the hardware). This machine also had a TV card in it and ran MythTV to function as a homebuilt DVR. I upgraded the hardware in October so I could use the machine for a few more tasks, but the old hardware was working fine for running the TV itself.

The only problem I've come across when using an older computer to run the TV is if I want to run a computer game on it so I can play on a large screen.

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 155
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 96

Looks like you can jailbreak an Apple TV (newer one) and put ESPN3 on it among other stuff. I haven't tried this, but here's a page I just found with more info:

TWW - Apple TV Version 2

Doesn't exactly look easy, but maybe worth a shot.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Ciclone View Post
    Looks like you can jailbreak an Apple TV (newer one) and put ESPN3 on it among other stuff. I haven't tried this, but here's a page I just found with more info:

TWW - Apple TV Version 2

Doesn't exactly look easy, but maybe worth a shot.
    Yea, I'm looking for as simple as possible. I just want my computer screen to show up on my tv screen, and I'd like to be able to do it over wi-fi if possible. Seems like something that should exist.

Prospect
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MNCyGuy View Post
    Yea, I'm looking for as simple as possible. I just want my computer screen to show up on my tv screen, and I'd like to be able to do it over wi-fi if possible. Seems like something that should exist.
    I have a mac mini hooked up to my HDTV and I'm able to control it via an iPod touch or by screen sharing (You need Leopard or Snow leopard for this) on my macbook pro or iMac. I have a 2 TB external drive that has movies on it attached to the mac mini. I'm able to stream the movies to the iPod Touch or my wife's iPad over the internet. I purchased the mac mini off of eBay 3 years ago.

At the time I considered the Apple TV but it was limited on what you could do and the jail breaking thing was something that I didn't want to deal with. I bought the mac mini (Intel duo) for only $100 more than a new Apple TV.

I have enjoyed the setup and watch Clone Zone video on the 55" screen with good picture quality.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47

Is this what you're looking for?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyfxwl03APc]‪computer to tv via hdmi tutorial‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 294

Boxxee. I've ben happy with it.

Starter
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 22

A PlayOn server on a computer could get you ESPN3 if your wi-fi enabled TV can pick it up. It works for us but we use a Wii or PS3 to get the signal.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mclatch View Post
    A PlayOn server on a computer could get you ESPN3 if your wi-fi enabled TV can pick it up. It works for us but we use a Wii or PS3 to get the signal.
    What is this exactly? We have a Wii, so it may be an option.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci2od4i7VIs]‪PlayOn - Use Your PS3 to Watch Hulu, Youtube, CNN, Netflix, and More.‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

you can use an xbox with xbox gold account and stream espn3 in HD (it is very good). I do not think the broadcast that you get from your pc is HD like it is with your xbox account. You can also stream hulu, netflix, etc. with the gold account.

"Hug It Out."

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
    you can use an xbox with xbox gold account and stream espn3 in HD (it is very good). I do not think the broadcast that you get from your pc is HD like it is with your xbox account. You can also stream hulu, netflix, etc. with the gold account.
    Yea, we're pinching pennies right now, so I don't think an Xbox or Xbox gold are on the horizon anytime soon. If there is some sort of app available for Wii that I'm just not aware of right now though, I'd love to hear about it.

Starter
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 22

It's a media server. It allows you to access video that is available on the internet (as well as your computer) through your TV. It doesn't replace live cable TV but you can get anything that is available to you on ESPN3. It's not HD and the Wii is much more cumbersome than the PS3. But then - your TV may be equiped to handle it without the game consoles.

We ditched cable almost 2 years ago and have used netflix for entertainment and espn3 for sports since then. The only regrets have been ISU games on other cable providers like FSN. But then saving $1000s helps me forget quickly :)

Video quality through play-on sources is far from HD but seems to be as reliable as it would be on our PC screen. And I've actually found that playon reliability to be better than our over-the-air digital signal.

There are some plug-ins too. I've been able to watch live NASCAR races that are on other cable stations for example.