Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 29

Post from desmoinesregister.com about Pollard

I found this post a couple minutes ago... Are there others that feel this way? I keep hearing about people saying this but this is the first time I saw someone speak up.

My opinion is Pollard is doing his best to keep us from becoming a MAC team or D1-AA team. If we dont' step up and support our COLLEGE then me might as well shut up and prepare for the worst.

Quote from wardparkway02------

Sure, there are over 100,000 season tickets sold in Iowa THIS YEAR.... primarily due to his policy of no single game tickets for the ISU/UI game. While it's an interesting approach, it artificially drove up the overall season ticket sales and most likely will not be repeated next year.

Univ of Oklahoma has 72,000+ season tickets sold every year, with tickets being passed off in wills upon death. I don't want to think of what happens at Mich or Notre Dame.

I am a Cyclone, for more than 40 years, and turned in my season tickets this year after a 98% increase over the past 2 years. It appears that the only things that have changed are the salary of the coach, the price of a ticket, and the color of the uniforms!

Brush up your resume', Mr. Pollard.... ISU fans don't give you long to produce results, even less time when you raid their pocket books to do
    it!

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,527
    Given: 726

Re: Post from desmoinesregister.com about Pollard

Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    I found this post a couple minutes ago... Are there others that feel this way? I keep hearing about people saying this but this is the first time I saw someone speak up.

My opinion is Pollard is doing his best to keep us from becoming a MAC team or D1-AA team. If we dont' step up and support our COLLEGE then me might as well shut up and prepare for the worst.

Quote from wardparkway02------

Sure, there are over 100,000 season tickets sold in Iowa THIS YEAR.... primarily due to his policy of no single game tickets for the ISU/UI game. While it's an interesting approach, it artificially drove up the overall season ticket sales and most likely will not be repeated next year.

Univ of Oklahoma has 72,000+ season tickets sold every year, with tickets being passed off in wills upon death. I don't want to think of what happens at Mich or Notre Dame.

I am a Cyclone, for more than 40 years, and turned in my season tickets this year after a 98% increase over the past 2 years. It appears that the only things that have changed are the salary of the coach, the price of a ticket, and the color of the uniforms!

Brush up your resume', Mr. Pollard.... ISU fans don't give you long to produce results, even less time when you raid their pocket books to do it!
    Not to minimize the feelings of another fan, but this is sure proof that the internet allows anyone to speak their minds, regardless of the merit of the argument. Some could say that about my random thoughts too I suppose.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Every village has their idiots....

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,146
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 52

The people that post on the DSM are the lowest denominator of our society. To determine what popular opinion is, read the comments and apply the exact opposite rationale.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

It's just someone blowing smoke out of his you know what. To complain about ticket prices and such is just stupid because we are one of the lower ticket prices in the conference I bet. We don't have the rich tradition or alumni some of these schools like Oklahoma does. Pollard is doing just fine.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post

\Quote from wardparkway02------

Brush up your resume', Mr. Pollard.... ISU fans don't give you long to produce results, even less time when you raid their pocket books to do
    it!
    Blah blah blah, I hate to say it but good riddance, obviously he doesn't realize that Pollard IS producing results, and he has to up prices to do it. He will regret it when season tickets become impossible to come by and he is left on the outside looking in.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

Interesting choice to compare ticket sales with Oklahoma, Michigan, and Notre Dame and then complain that the ISU athletic department is spending too much money. You can't have it both ways-- spend like ISU has historically and win like those other three programs.

I doubt many feel like wardparkway02 and I would hope that, after everything this program has been through, fans have the intestinal fortitude to stick to the master plan.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159

A lot of people like the Cyclones a lot, and it's rough to take a lot of the price increases... but we've been behind the times on ticket prices for a long time. The 80s aren't coming back.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If fans can't see the importance of an increased athletic budget than we truly don't deserve anything better than Big 12 doormats. If you want to watch cheap football, go to a Drake game or find yourself a nice DIII school to follow.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 239

I was listening to something on the radio the other day...

The guy that started ESPN, when he began - was made a fool when he was asking for money. Folks laughed at him and look at ESPN today.

FedEx, the guy that started it - wrote a paper about it (business plan) in college. The professor liked the idea, but gave him a C+ because the idea wasn't realistic.

If people want to rip on Pollard for being "overly aggressive", fine. We'll just remember those fools in a few years when the success starts pouring in and they want a piece of the party cake.

Anything worth having is worth fighting for.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 416
    Given: 177

If anyone thinks we are close to becoming a MAC team or Division 1AA, you are way, way off-base.

Here are some attendance numbers from the past few years (click on the links for the PDF statistics):

2003 - 44,822 - We ranked 48th nationally.

2004 - I couldn't find stats.

2005 - 46,705 - We ranked 47th nationally ahead of Kansas State, Miami (FL), Oklahoma State, Louisville, and many more good reams

2006 - 46,171 - We ranked 44th nationally after sucking pretty bad. We actually moved up the list with a 4-8 season.

So we have above average Division 1 support. We have a low budget for the Big 12 but that is changing. There is no possible way we leave the Big 12 for the MAC or we go to the Gateway Conference.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 337

I've heard people complain about the high ticket prices but I take that as the fringe element of the fanbase.

Ever heard of the old adage "you get what you pay for"....At 30 million dollar a year budget that translates into 3 to 4 wins per year and I don't think anyone wants that for the forseeable future.

Look for higher ticket prices and higher donor levels...NEXT YEAR...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think ISU is about 10 years behind the rest of the teams in the Big 12 right now with facilities and donors. This Master Plan needed to be done a long time ago and Gene Smith even recognized it.

Jamie has the vision to change this college and try to bring it up to date. Although, by the time we get this stuff done, everyone else will update even more.

ISU fans need to step up. Ticket prices are still low. Donation levels are still low. I know prices have gone up recently but you have to remember, they went down 3 years ago to build a fan base. Adjusting them slowly is the right idea. We just need to win.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

My response would be as follows: Do you pay the same for a gallon of Milk or fuel as you did 20 years ago? Then why would a football ticket be any different. The athletic Dept. didn't raise prices for over a decade and Pollard had to make up for it in a short period of time. ISU fans were spoiled with cheap tickets in the past, and as a national average, our ticket prices are still reasonable.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    If anyone thinks we are close to becoming a MAC team or Division 1AA, you are way, way off-base.

Here are some attendance numbers from the past few years (click on the links for the PDF statistics):

2003 - 44,822 - We ranked 48th nationally.

2004 - I couldn't find stats.

2005 - 46,705 - We ranked 47th nationally ahead of Kansas State, Miami (FL), Oklahoma State, Louisville, and many more good reams

2006 - 46,171 - We ranked 44th nationally after sucking pretty bad. We actually moved up the list with a 4-8 season.

So we have above average Division 1 support. We have a low budget for the Big 12 but that is changing. There is no possible way we leave the Big 12 for the MAC or we go to the Gateway Conference.

I know I mentioned the MAC or Gateway reference, but lets think about this. We support our team to a tune of 46,000 + per game. Sure thats good for 40th on that list. What does that actually matter though??? We have an athletic budget of that of a High Mid Major. We are spending 40 million a year. Texas about 100 million or more..(not exactly sure). If we don't raise the support levels we will continue to be bottom dwellers. If the Big 12 decides to ever drop a team or if they combine with someone else, I think we would be the first choice for being axed.

Being in a Mid Major Conference is seriously not that far off or that wild of a thought.