Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Big 12 AD's put one year moratorium on high school games

Big 12 Athletics Directors Meet in Dallas - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site

Big 12 Athletics Directors Meet in Dallas
    Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site
    The Big 12 athletics directors met in Dallas and discussed content distributed on existing and future institutional and conference media platforms.

In previous discussions the Big 12 ADs unanimously agreed that no high school content would be distributed, consistent with NCAA rules. Today, the ADs of the Big 12 Conference unanimously agreed to establish a minimum one-year moratorium on the broadcast of any high school content (or any other content involving prospective student-athletes) via any medium branded as a Conference or member institution platform (and no use will be permitted thereafter unless and until the NCAA determines that such use is permissible). In addition, the ADs recommend the Big 12 Board of Directors strongly request the NCAA Board of Directors establish a national moratorium for a minimum of one year in order for the entire NCAA membership to determine whether such use should be permissible under NCAA regulations. The ADs recognize that this issue is complex and involves a detailed analysis of the recruiting model in many areas, including existing NCAA legislation related to the publicity of prospective student-athletes and the rapidly evolving world of technology. This process will take an extended period of analysis. The Conference will continue to monitor the broadcasting of youth athletics content.

In addition, the ADs learned and acknowledged that there may be contractual opportunities that allow more than one football game to be broadcast on institutions' branded networks. That game could be a Conference matchup. In these instances both member institutions and the Conference office must agree to the selection. Such games would result in additional financial and exposure opportunities for the rest of the membership.

All actions by Conference athletics directors are subject to Big 12 Conference Board of Directors approval.

Rookie
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Re: Big 12 AD's put one year moratorium on high school games

In other words, no high school games this year but LHN will still be allowed to air a Big 12 game if the other team agrees to it.

Aggy still isn't going to like this I'm afraid.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 128

It says that the two teams playing in the proposed LHN game would have to agree...right? So the way I see it, hypothetically, ISU and Texas was not going to be on TV otherwise and the LHN wants to air it, both Texas and ISU have to agree to be on that channel or the game doesn't won't be aired on the LHN.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 11

Good someone in the Big XII finally standing up to the mean orange cow.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

I'm sure a couple of Big 12 fan bases are going to turn this into further evidence that they need to leave the Big 12, and a couple of other fan bases outside of the Big 12 will turn this into further evidence that UT is hosing everybody over and that the conference is unstable. I'm not sure how they'll do it, but it will happen...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 128

If it was unanimous, doesn't that mean even Texas voted that high school games can't be aired this year?

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I don't see much of anything negative out of this... The high school game situation has been removed (at least for the time being) and if it comes back as an issue it will likely be an NCAA-wide issue thus limiting it's affect on the Big 12-2. The idea of another conference game on the LHN is sort of discerning, however as stated both teams would have to agree and thus I really don't see a problem here either.

Guess we'll see what rumors can come out of the woodwork now that this decision is out...

CyBer

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    If it was unanimous, doesn't that mean even Texas voted that high school games can't be aired this year?
    That's the way I understand it.

Also it said a minimum of one year.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post

That is correct.. As long as the Big 12 story has it's facts straight then all 10 AD's agreed to put the hold on it. Perhaps a sign that even Texas is aware of the issues it has been causing and does at least care (if even a little) about the conference as a whole and not just itself.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 929
    Given: 71

Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    I don't see much of anything negative out of this... The high school game situation has been removed (at least for the time being) and if it comes back as an issue it will likely be an NCAA-wide issue thus limiting it's affect on the Big 12-2. The idea of another conference game on the LHN is sort of discerning, however as stated both teams would have to agree and thus I really don't see a problem here either.

Guess we'll see what rumors can come out of the woodwork now that this decision is out...

great point. That's the key to it. A year from now it will be the NCAA making the decision. It will affect everyone, not just one conference. If they decide to allow it, you can bet a bunch of SEC schools will be trying to do the same thing Texas is. If they disallow it, then nobody can do it. Either way, Aggie's gripe about Texas getting an advantage is gone.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SvrWxCy View Post
    That is correct.. As long as the Big 12 story has it's facts straight then all 10 AD's agreed to put the hold on it. Perhaps a sign that even Texas is aware of the issues it has been causing and does at least care (if even a little) about the conference as a whole and not just itself.
    By caring for the conference, Texas does care for itself. Do people REALLY think that Texas wants to give up its easy schedule for independent status where it would be faced with a lot more tough games? Right now, the only real competition that Texas has is OU. That is a pretty easy path to getting a few more of those crystal footballs on their AD's shelf. Sure their fans (and this applies for other schools as well) may say that they want a harder schedule with more exciting games, but 99.99% of them will take a pushover schedule with a chance at the crystal football at the end over that 'exciting' schedule any day. And the other 0.01%? Well, they are crazy, aggies, or more likely, both.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,971
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith86 View Post
    By caring for the conference, Texas does care for itself. Do people REALLY think that Texas wants to give up its easy schedule for independent status where it would be faced with a lot more tough games? Right now, the only real competition that Texas has is OU. That is a pretty easy path to getting a few more of those crystal footballs on their AD's shelf. Sure their fans (and this applies for other schools as well) may say that they want a harder schedule with more exciting games, but 99.99% of them will take a pushover schedule with a chance at the crystal football at the end over that 'exciting' schedule any day. And the other 0.01%? Well, they are crazy, aggies, or more likely, both.
    Correct, win the conference and you have a shot at the title more than likely. It's a tougher road to the NC when you are independent. Plus the automatic BCS bid is nice as well. Theoretically, you could lose 2 or 3 games, still win the conference and get the auto BCS bid. With OU, that 2 loss thing is tough, but I feel over all, the conference is getting better and with that, a better chance for upsets. All my talk is not really fact based, but it is an easier road to the BCS than an independent.

Plus they have all the benefits of being in a conference while still having independent luxuries. Such as the LHN. Let's not forget, Texas didn't make a bowl last year, but still got a piece of the bowl pie. It's a good thing they had the season they did last year. I think their egos were slapped just a bit and that might still be in the back of their minds. Even Almighty UT can have a down year.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith86 View Post
    Bingo. UT has it made right now. Why would they go Indy when they have the best of both worlds at this point. UT going Indy will not happen for the foreseeable future, unless your name is Tornadoman.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 4

Perfect. Now its an NCAA issue.

As for the second conference game on the LGN, no one will agree to it unless the other option is no TV at all. And since starting in 2012 every Big 12 conference game will be televised, it seems unlikely the LGN will ever get that second conference game.

ESPN and the LGN still has zero content and has not been picked up. I'm gonna enjoy watching the LGN fail.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 61

So how much longer before this becomes an issue again?

Quote Originally Posted by CloneinWDSM View Post
    LOL ya right. If we win 9 games, I'll wax my entire body.