Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 40

Anyone own a Border Collie or Austarlian Shepherd?

I really would like to get a dog and one of the 2 that i really like are the Border Collie and Australian Shepherd. I really like the size of them and the temperament along with the high intelligence.

i know they are both very active dogs and if you don't train and give them lots of exercise then they can become bored and destructive to your home.

so my question is how much exercise is needed? I have a pretty big backyard that a dog could run around in and i would love to go to the park with a dog a few times a week. Is it something were you really need to play with them outside every single day or a few times a week?

any info would be appreciated.
    Thx!

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,271
    Given: 113

Re: Anyone own a Border Collie or Austarlian Shepherd?

We had both growing up. Both are fantastic dogs. As far as exercise goes, I couldn't say specifically how much they need, only that ours got a lot. We lived on a farm, and they had the run of the place, something they really took advantage of. Neither were ever destructive of our home, but it may be that they were getting all the exercise they needed.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by isubeatle View Post
    I really would like to get a dog and one of the 2 that i really like are the Border Collie and Australian Shepherd. I really like the size of them and the temperament along with the high intelligence.

i know they are both very active dogs and if you don't train and give them lots of exercise then they can become bored and destructive to your home.

so my question is how much exercise is needed? I have a pretty big backyard that a dog could run around in and i would love to go to the park with a dog a few times a week. Is it something were you really need to play with them outside every single day or a few times a week?

Thx!
    Of course every dog is going to be different, but with herding dogs the mental exercise is often more important than physical exercise (though they usually go hand-in-hand). I wouldn't reccomend either of these breeds to someone who doesn't have time to get involved in some kind of task-oriented acivities on a regular basis.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Of course every dog is going to be different, but with herding dogs the mental exercise is often more important than physical exercise (though they usually go hand-in-hand). I wouldn't recommend either of these breeds to someone who doesn't have time to get involved in some kind of task-oriented acivities on a regular basis.
    can you elaborate on that more? like playing games with them or training them to do tricks and stuff like that?

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 219
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Well, I've got two border collies and let me tell you, they are pretty bright dogs. They are also very active dogs. They need walks and runs once or twice a day and depending on the coat need brushed often. Our vacuum is often full of hair once a week. A good backyard is a good start but they need something to do that will keep them occupied or they will get bored and destructive. As far as how much exercise they can handle? A lot. My brother in law is one of those marathon runners and he was concerned that our dog wouldn't be able to handle one of his morning runs. My dog welcomed the challenge and stayed ahead of him the entire 3-4 mile run, kindly waiting for him when she got too far ahead. I can walk/run with my dog 1 or 2 miles a day and she will maintain her weight. Walk her once or twice a week and she will start gaining. I took mine to agility classes. It was good exercise and a good mental challenge. They love learning and strive to show off their skills. I can't recommend a breeder though. Both of mine are rescues.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I have a border collie named nittany and is probably smarter than the rest of the family. this dog is crazy she is 11 years old and is still very active. she never sits down, but she is a very good dog. she pouts when i am not home and will not eat or drink, if you are considering a border collie make sure you give it a ton of exercise and pay attention to the creature.

to answer your question yes it is very important to give them exercise at least once a day. they will not destroy your home if you dont. they will just become upset and may not like to be around you. (they are something else) make sure they have plenty of space to run outside and inside.

FYI get a new pair of running shoes you will be chasing your new border collie alot

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    i did watch both of those and there were pretty helpful thx

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 24

can you elaborate on that more? like playing games with them or training them to do tricks and stuff like that?
    Yes, something as simple as playing games like "Find-it" to more advanced things like agility training. Basically, more than just letting them run around in the yard for a bit. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of collies out there that are just fine with a little exercise, I'm just saying you will have a better chance of having a positive experience if you make sure to keep your dog mentally stimulated (more so than most breeds).

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

what about exercise during the winter months? i've gotten into running a and general working out this summer and so that would be great. But what about during the winter?

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

also these dogs are meant to be on farms for herding, they are not your typical play pet they love to run. since she was a puppy she would knip at your heels because they are trying to herd you, it is pretty funny

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Thx!
    If you don't live on a farm I would say be prepared to put up with obsessive compulsive behavior from your dog. I got my boarder collie when he was two and he has been the best dog I've ever had. A little too active for really little kids (I have a 3 month old son), but from probably 7 or so and up probably one of the best dogs you can get. Loyal to a fault. Too smart for his own good. Mine isn't very concerned with food, just wants to please us and play.

Be prepared for shadow chasing, sprinkler attacking, tree destroying. He will likely leave scratches on your walls and floors if he isn't exercised enough and you would not believe how much exercise they need. Seriously! Best dog I've ever had but not for people who want low maintenance dogs.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

I've got a mix of a Border Collie and Aussie Shephard. MAKE SURE YOU TRAIN THEIR ATTITUDE. They can be very protective of their owners. My Leo dislikes everyone he doesn't know.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Also keep in mind that a boarder collie is intelligent and really needs chores. He needs to be able to use his brain or you will never tire him out. I've taken him on hikes (in one day 4,000 ft up, 26 miles around trip) and by the time I got back I was limping and he was chasing bears, literally! He is 11 years old and still has that kind of energy. The only time I've seen him worn out and I wasn't on my death bed as a result was one time I let him chase the snowmobile back a forth for a few hours. He cased one snowmobile to crash in the mean time but I had a peaceful evening for once.

He can get by with less, and once he has formed a bound with you he would rather be kept in a cage then leave you to be on a farm, but they require a lot more than I can probably convince you of.

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 629
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

Both dogs are awesome with the properly educated and dedicated owner. Someone who will take the time to walk them and train them. My family had several border collies. Loved em all. Very smart and loyal. If you get one I recommend getting one from Mo-Kan Border Collie Rescue (Missouri, Kansas, Midwest)