Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

ESPN To Air Texas HS Games on LHN

I hadn't seen this posted anywhere:

Scout.com: Is Realignment Coming to a Conclusion?

The most interesting part of the article is found below, it is speaking to Dan Bebee's attempt to prevent ESPN from airing Texas HS games on the LHN:

Well, based on recent moves by the sports leader, ESPN doesn’t believe the Big 12 can interfere in their programming choices and the ability to make a profit. After the Beebe announcement, ESPN and the LHN finalized contracts with Brenham High School and Lamar Consolidated to become the first high school football broadcast on the network. The Longhorns currently have two verbal commitments from that Brenham team, linebacker Tim Cole and highly-regarded defensive lineman Malcolme Brown.
    This seems interesting to me for one major reason:

Why would ESPN, who paid dearly to keep the Big 12 together, force a move that is sure to cause more instability & animosity amongst the conference? If ESPN would just not air Texas HS games, TAMU/OU have pretty much said this thing will just go away, yet ESPN persists.

To me, this may indicate that the LHN may be struggling to get distributed & ESPN is willing to do whatever they have to in order to see it succeed. I think ESPN is beginning to see that $15M per year was too much to ever make back from a game against Rice each season, so they're trying to fill in the void by whatever means will get the LHN on basic cable.

Last edited by hawkfan; 07-31-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 24

Re: ESPN To Air Texas HS Games on LHN

Isn't it $15M per year over 20? $300M is more money than the Big 10 Network cooks up in a year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Isn't it $15M per year over 20? $300M is more money than the Big 10 Network cooks up in a year.
    LOL...yeah, I meant to put $15M per year or a $300M deal, but instead I put $300M per year, which is totally inaccurate. I have corrected it.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 75

So, hawkfan, would you sport an ISU move to the Big 10?

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 9

Hawk, where did you get the idea that ESPN paid dearly to keep the Big 12 together or that they even give a rip? The primary Big 12 TV contract is with Fox. All ESPN did was make an obscene offer for the 3rd tier rights of Texas. DeLoss Dodds said thank you and made the bank deposit. Dodds' primary concern is Texas and not ESPN's bottom line. Dodds' goal is not to demolish the Big 12. No other conference around would allow Texas to have their own network. The Big 12 provides relatively close competitive opponents and keeps travel costs to a minimum. It is a win-win situation for Texas and is much more profitable than being an independent.

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 50

Like I said in earlier post, I'm sure ESPN has a chart up in their war room of what they want the super conferences to look like.

ISU and Baylor are the only two schools left out in this thread. ISU Might end up independent as in no one wants you and independent may be equal or slightly better than non-BCS as it allows for scheduling BCS level teams anywhere in the country that all have guaranteed tv coverage of their games, but would suck for fans - one week on big 10 network, next week on PAC-12 tv, etc.

Work out a deal to get games broadcast on BYU network or heaven forbid the LHN and keep all tv rights exclusive and only sell them on a game by game basis if they fall outside of other conference rules for broadcast.

That looks like the best deal for ISU based on where this is headed from my pov.

Of course, the Big East might want to go to 12 FB teams and take ISU along with KSU and KU. Since ISU isn't mentioned, I'm going for next best option. Travel to the East could absolutely kill the budget not to mention the Big East has the worst of the tv rights deals money wise, so independent might not be so far out of the question.

LHN may be playing "game" of liars poker hoping for one of two outcomes not discussed (longshots):
    1) Strong arm the B12 into negotiating an exclusive 3rd tier network and suddenly the LHN becomes the B12N.
    2) Cause a legal clause in the LHN deal to be triggered that allows ESPN to back out of the deal as they've realized it was a bonehead move in the first place. A clause like Texas no longer being in the B12, NCAA sanctions, etc.

See first paragraph for most likely scenario.

If NCAA is "amateur" it's only in their ability to protect their own school's best interests.

ESPN: "Laws? What laws? We don't need no stinking laws - we are the law!".
    NCAA: " No means No! Stop! Please! No means No!"

Last edited by ShopTalk; 07-31-2011 at 10:19 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    I hadn't seen this posted anywhere:

Scout.com: Is Realignment Coming to a Conclusion?

The most interesting part of the article is found below, it is speaking to Dan Bebee's attempt to prevent ESPN from airing Texas HS games on the LHN:

This seems interesting to me for one major reason:

Why would ESPN, who paid dearly to keep the Big 12 together, force a move that is sure to cause more instability & animosity amongst the conference? If ESPN would just not air Texas HS games, TAMU/OU have pretty much said this thing will just go away, yet ESPN persists.

To me, this may indicate that the LHN may be struggling to get distributed & ESPN is willing to do whatever they have to in order to see it succeed. I think ESPN is beginning to see that $15M per year was too much to ever make back from a game against Rice each season, so they're trying to fill in the void by whatever means will get the LHN on basic cable.
    I would consider the source here when evaluating this column. It is an Aggie author who badly wants A&M in the SEC and they will stir up crap just to get more dumb Aggies to side with him.

There is no way ESPN will show those HS games on the LHN before the NCAA rules on whether they can show them or not. Texas risks violating NCAA recruiting rules by doing so and Deloss Dodds has made it clear they will not risk that. Also, Texas is not going to violate a direct edict from Dan Beebe that televising HS games be put on hold. It is plausibe that ESPN is setting up deals in case they get the OK to televise them. Of course, dumb Aggies are going to interpret that differently.

A couple of other things here. Despite the feelings of this Aggie author, Texas wants to keep the B12 together, going independent will damage all of their programs including football. It will also damage ESPN's inventory of premium Texas FB games to telecast. ESPN is going to be a serious bidder for the B12's 1st tier FB rights in a couple of years, they want the B12 to say as-is with an inventory of premium UT, OU, A&M and Mizzou games to telecast as 1st tier games. ESPN does not want to lose those OU, A&M and Mizzou games to CBS and the SEC.

Of course, that is beyond the intellectual scope of this Aggie author to comprehend as well as the majority of Hawk fans.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    I would consider the source here when evaluating this column. It is an Aggie author who badly wants A&M in the SEC and they will stir up crap just to get more dumb Aggies to side with him.

There is no way ESPN will show those HS games on the LHN before the NCAA rules on whether they can show them or not. Texas risks violating NCAA recruiting rules by doing so and Deloss Dodds has made it clear they will not risk that. Also, Texas is not going to violate a direct edict from Dan Beebe that televising HS games be put on hold. It is plausibe that ESPN is setting up deals in case they get the OK to televise them. Of course, dumb Aggies are going to interpret that differently.

A couple of other things here. Despite the feelings of this Aggie author, Texas wants to keep the B12 together, going independent will damage all of their programs including football. It will also damage ESPN's inventory of premium Texas FB games to telecast. ESPN is going to be a serious bidder for the B12's 1st tier FB rights in a couple of years, they want the B12 to say as-is with an inventory of premium UT, OU, A&M and Mizzou games to telecast as 1st tier games. ESPN does not want to lose those OU, A&M and Mizzou games to CBS and the SEC.

Of course, that is beyond the intellectual scope of this Aggie author to comprehend as well as the majority of Hawk fans.
    Pretty much sums it up. Also, sounds like ESPN jumped the gun a little bit:
    Orangebloods.com - ESPN to blame for a week of doom-and-gloom headlines?

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,976
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 57

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post
    Like I said in earlier post, I'm sure ESPN has a chart up in their war room of what they want the super conferences to look like.

ISU and Baylor are the only two schools left out in this thread. ISU Might end up independent as in no one wants you and independent may be equal or slightly better than non-BCS as it allows for scheduling BCS level teams anywhere in the country that all have guaranteed tv coverage of their games, but would suck for fans - one week on big 10 network, next week on PAC-12 tv, etc.

Work out a deal to get games broadcast on BYU network or heaven forbid the LHN and keep all tv rights exclusive and only sell them on a game by game basis if they fall outside of other conference rules for broadcast.

That looks like the best deal for ISU based on where this is headed from my pov.

Of course, the Big East might want to go to 12 FB teams and take ISU along with KSU and KU. Since ISU isn't mentioned, I'm going for next best option. Travel to the East could absolutely kill the budget not to mention the Big East has the worst of the tv rights deals money wise, so independent might not be so far out of the question.

LHN may be playing "game" of liars poker hoping for one of two outcomes not discussed (longshots):
    1) Strong arm the B12 into negotiating an exclusive 3rd tier network and suddenly the LHN becomes the B12N.
    2) Cause a legal clause in the LHN deal to be triggered that allows ESPN to back out of the deal as they've realized it was a bonehead move in the first place. A clause like Texas no longer being in the B12, NCAA sanctions, etc.

See first paragraph for most likely scenario.

If NCAA is "amateur" it's only in their ability to protect their own school's best interests.

ESPN: "Laws? What laws? We don't need no stinking laws - we are the law!".
    NCAA: " No means No! Stop! Please! No means No!"
    WOW, you really don't understand ISU football do you. There is no way ISU draws enough TV sets to go independent. We just don't have the budget for it. And we don't have any power to make TV deals with anyone who isn't local media.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Does Texas really want the Big 12 to survive, or just last long enough to solidify the LHN?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 28

Anything written by and A&M homer isn't worth the time to read it.

Please don't be naive.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    So, hawkfan, would you sport an ISU move to the Big 10?
    No, simply because it would lose every school in the Big Ten money. I feel pretty confident though that in a 4 super conference scenario, ISU lands in a very different, 16 school version of the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post

So you are saying that the author 100% fabricated the quote I provided? I agree that everything else reeks of Aggie homerism, but if indeed ESPN has signed a contract with the two aforementioned high schools, that is a real, real, big problem for the Big 12. It shows that ESPN is putting whatever programming it needs to put on the LHN to make it succeed.

There is no way you can completely write that article off unless you're saying that contract with Brenham & Lamar is completely fabricate.

EDIT: Found a Texas Newscast confirming:

http://www.kbtx.com/news/headlines/B...8.html?ref=108

Brenham, at least, appears to have confirmed to signed a deal with the LHN. The contract appears to have been signed AFTER Bebee tried to dissuade ESPN from putting Texas HS games on the LHN.

Last edited by hawkfan; 07-31-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Why would the ACC be that much different?

I don't think the Big 10 will be able to poach teams from the ACC.

Last edited by snowcraig2.0; 07-31-2011 at 11:19 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    WOW, you really don't understand ISU football do you. There is no way ISU draws enough TV sets to go independent. We just don't have the budget for it. And we don't have any power to make TV deals with anyone who isn't local media.
    You're right, no need to even think about it as an option. Might as well join the Missouri Valley Conference right now.