Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Steve Deace's 2011 Predictions

Deace's 2011 College Football Preview | Steve Deace

I will say this guy has a great sit up for his predictions, but i have a few statements.

He doesn't have KO going in the first round, and also does not have him even making the All Big 12 team. Makes no sense??

He also sees the Clones going 3-9? I don't even find that realistic. ISU is at least a 5+ win team this year. I'd pick the over.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 4

Re: Steve Deace's 2011 Predictions

ISU played one of the toughest schedules in the country last year and won 5 games. This year ISU plays one of the toughest schedules in the country and CPR has admitted this team is better. 5 wins is pretty reasonable IMO.

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 216

To win the Heisman, you need to put up big numbers. Andrew Luck won't do that. New coach, and he wasn't a stat stuffer to begin with. He is getting the same hype as Jake Locker was last season .

His Michigan homer ism shines brightly in that article.

His hatred for Ohio State also shines big.

KO IS on his first team All-Conference as well as Leonard Johnson and Jake Knott.

3-9 for ISU is very reasonable seeing as how there is no proven QB or running back. Not to mention how bad the receiving core has been. Unless someone at the QB position steps their play up big time, this offense is going to struggle big time. If the offense struggles, it could be a very long season.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 459
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by xboxfever View Post
    3-9 for ISU is very reasonable seeing as how there is no proven QB or running back. Not to mention how bad the receiving core has been. Unless someone at the QB position steps their play up big time, this offense is going to struggle big time. If the offense struggles, it could be a very long season.

I agree...I don't think 3-9 is out of the realm of possibility by any means.

If I told you that a "team" lost their leading passer, rusher, & receiver on offense from a team that went 5-7 last year & has one of the 10 toughest schedules in the entire country this year, what would you guess the record to be this season: Better, Same, or Worse?

I'd say in the above scenario, most rational and impartial college football fans would clearly guess "worse".

I personally think ISU will win 4 games, 5 if a lot of things break right, but given what ISU lost last season, combined with the schedule ISU has this season, it isn't really too difficult to figure out why someone would call for a 3 win season.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    I agree...I don't think 3-9 is out of the realm of possibility by any means.

If I told you that a "team" lost their leading passer, rusher, & receiver on offense from a team that went 5-7 last year & has one of the 10 toughest schedules in the entire country this year, what would you guess the record to be this season: Better, Same, or Worse?

I'd say in the above scenario, most rational and impartial college football fans would clearly guess "worse".

I personally think ISU will win 4 games, 5 if a lot of things break right, but given what ISU lost last season, combined with the schedule ISU has this season, it isn't really too difficult to figure out why someone would call for a 3 win season.
    Someone that puts 3 wins down for this team right now, obviously doesn't know much about the program imo. Steve probably doesn't know a whole alot about the Clones, but knows that we still havn't decided on a QB yet. All things aside, i still believe this is a 5 or 6 win team. Putting money down on the 6 wins.

Recruit
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CFanatic21 View Post
    Deace's 2011 College Football Preview | Steve Deace

I will say this guy has a great sit up for his predictions, but i have a few statements.

He doesn't have KO going in the first round, and also does not have him even making the All Big 12 team. Makes no sense??

He also sees the Clones going 3-9? I don't even find that realistic. ISU is at least a 5+ win team this year. I'd pick the over.
    He has 3 Cyclones all Big XII, KO, Knott, and Leonard. That is a lot of respect and I'd be shocked if that happened. Not that all 3 wouldn't be worthy, I would just be surprised to see it happen.

If you are expecting 5+ wins you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. The schedule is just too brutal to be expecting a bowl game. I would be thrilled with 5 wins, but A&M, OSU, OU, Mizzou are all pretty much guaranteed losses. The only two I'd mark as for sure wins are UNI and KU, and KU might not even be. There are a lot of winnable games, but it will take road wins to get a lot of them.

Addict
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,415
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 400
    Given: 341

Yep I think we should just ignore when Rhoads says that whoever the QB is they will be just as productive as last year. Also Shontrelle is not capable of running the ball and he is slow and also Woody is not very good so we are doomed at the RB position. WR's should be worse. Horne has shown no promise this spring and I doubt that Darks or Renyolds will be better. I would actually say worse. Yep I see us struggling to win any games this year. Some of our fans pessimism gets so old.

Addict
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,415
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 400
    Given: 341

Quote Originally Posted by cc4td28 View Post
    He has 3 Cyclones all Big XII, KO, Knott, and Leonard. That is a lot of respect and I'd be shocked if that happened. Not that all 3 wouldn't be worthy, I would just be surprised to see it happen.

If you are expecting 5+ wins you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. The schedule is just too brutal to be expecting a bowl game. I would be thrilled with 5 wins, but A&M, OSU, OU, Mizzou are all pretty much guaranteed losses. The only two I'd mark as for sure wins are UNI and KU, and KU might not even be. There are a lot of winnable games, but it will take road wins to get a lot of them.
    I get sick of people saying our schedule is too tough. We are going to be playing a Big East team that I think will not even be as good as last years Northern Illinois team. Then we have Oklahoma State instead of Utah which we would have lost both anyways. Then there is at Baylor instead of at Nebraska. Then that just leaves A&M instead of Colorado. The round robin schedule this year is no tougher than it would have been before. I'm glad our players don't think like some of our fans becuase we would never win a game ever if they did.

Recruit
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post
    I get sick of people saying our schedule is too tough. We are going to be playing a Big East team that I think will not even be as good as last years Northern Illinois team. Then we have Oklahoma State instead of Utah which we would have lost both anyways. Then there is at Baylor instead of at Nebraska. Then that just leaves A&M instead of Colorado. The round robin schedule this year is no tougher than it would have been before. I'm glad our players don't think like some of our fans becuase we would never win a game ever if they did.
    I guess if you expect to beat Texas and Tech again, and all else is equal, we can expect to get back to 5-7. However we will most likely be large underdogs in both of those games. I'd like to think we are better than KState and Iowa, but neither of those two series have gone our way lately. I'd love to be wrong, because I think there are 8-9 possible wins, but things are definitely going to have to go our way, and Jantz is going to have to be the real deal.

If Steele had come in and been announced the starter I would be feeling a lot better, because I think the defense is going to be the best we have had in awhile. But the fact that he supposedly hasn't seperated himself leaves me very concerned about the position. I've seen what Tiller can do and unless he has made a huge improvement I don't think it is enough to get us to a bowl game.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,251
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 8

He has the Big 12 and Big 10 tied as far as conference supremacy?? You have to be kidding me.
    I know some Big 10 homers who don't even believe that.
    There is absolutely no way the Big 10 will be as good as the Big 12. I used to respect Deace's opinion. Im afraid the Coach Hoke love has finally poisoned his brain.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 400

Quote Originally Posted by xboxfever View Post
    there is no proven QB or running back.
    QB, sure. But we have two running backs who did just fine in Big XII play last year. They might not replace A-Rob right away, but running back is one position where we have proven skill and depth.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,251
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    He has the Big 12 and Big 10 tied as far as conference supremacy?? You have to be kidding me.
    I know some Big 10 homers who don't even believe that.
    There is absolutely no way the Big 10 will be as good as the Big 12. I used to respect Deace's opinion. Im afraid the Coach Hoke love has finally poisoned his brain.
    And the only reason the Big 10 would even be in the conversation is because a Big 12 team joined them.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

I think Deace is great at college football stuff. However, he has a very delusional high opinion of the Big 10. He has 10, that is right TEN of the Big 10 teams going to bowl games. I can see 8 of the 12 going but 10? The league embarrassed themselves in bowl games last year and the league has not had a winning bowl record in several years. The Big 10 is 8-17 against the Big 12 the last 5 years. 3 of those 8 wins is Iowa over Iowa State. Take that game out and their record is 5-16. I respect the Big 10 and I think it is a good conference, but I get so sick of media types prop this league up so much.

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 114

Quote Originally Posted by awd4cy View Post

well said here. I am expecting bowl game or breakout year for ISU in the new conference. Go Cyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,622
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 444

His general setup for the XII standings seems believable -- quite a bit of power at the top, then a lot of mediocrity. I find it a stretch that A&M will tie in W-L w/ OU, but I haven't done team-by-team schedules yet, so I can't throw rocks at it.

3-9 for ISU isn't unfathomable, although I think 4-8 is more realistic as low-end expectation (and at this point, is my gut-level forecast, even though I think 6 or 7 wins are there for the taking).

I'll give my official conference prediction after I examine each team's schedule.

Deace predictions with my notes:
    1. Oklahoma (8-1, 11-1). Sounds accurate.
    2. Texas A&M (8-1, 11-1). Big 12 finish accurate, too high on overall wins
    3. Oklahoma State (6-3, 9-3). Accurate.
    4. Missouri (6-3, 8-4). 5th. Record seems right
    5. Baylor (4-5, 7-5) No higher than 6th. Possibly lower than ISU, if ISU is higher than 8th
    6. Texas (4-5, 7-5) Higher than Baylor
    7. Texas Tech (4-5, 7-5) Lower than KSU
    8. Kansas State (3-6, 5-7) Higher than Baylor
    9. Iowa State (2-7, 3-9) In the Tech-Baylor range
    10. Kansas (1-8, 3-9). Seems accurate