chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 35,741, Level: 58
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    theyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    hedgesville, wv
    Posts
    1,458
    Points
    35,741
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    with exception of a few of course.

    alex alvarez-2 year starter
    J.J. Bass-Split time as starter jr year, then played very little sr year
    Phillip bates-played sparingly as true fresh then transfered
    trey baysinger-transfer/quit?
    allen bell-played one year then transfered/left school
    cameron bell-sp teamer as true fresh, then transfered
    michael bibbs-one year starter, signed with GB as free agent
    Jerrod black-no significant playing time
    Joe blaes-no significant playing time
    fabian brown-did not qualify
    james carpenter-did not qualify
    doug dedrick-2 year starter, signed in nfl as free agent
    collin franklin-3 year starter, signed in nfl as free agent

    wallace franklin-no significant playing time
    anthony green-did not qualify?
    randy kellman-transfered before ever seeing the field
    joseph klerekoper-transfer?
    christopher lyle-1 year starter
    curiz mathis-did not qualify
    aj mathews-never played, transfered?
    joe mcmahon-did not qualify
    kelechi osemele-4 year starter
    alex sandvig-injured
    michael tate-injured, little significant pt
    chris weir-no significant pt


    6 out of 25 players made a significant impact on cyclone seasons. one could argue that jj bass, allen bell, and phillip bates all made impacts, but they only really contributed one season and never finished their careers here so their impact was negligible. 5 of those 6 players were JUCO players. oddly the few who did contribute did or will have a shot at the nfl



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 182,909, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,572
    Points
    182,909
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 0

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    I wonder what a good ratio is for success on any given recruiting class? I have no idea. That's pretty scary though. But I think some of DMac's later classes were just as bad, if not even worse?

    I'm just curious if something like a 50% success rate is considered "good" by recruiting standards, or what number is? Is it a "good" class if 50% of them contribute succesfully at some point in their careers, or is it higher than that?

    I'm guessing it's probably lower than many of us might think?



  3. #3
    Recruit
    Points: 10,359, Level: 30
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Jerms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Atlantic, IA
    Posts
    121
    Points
    10,359
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    And there was so much talk at that time how good of a recruiter he was and how he was upgrading the talent. Other than a couple studs that didn't pan out. Just goes to show you have to give a head coach 4-5 years to truely judge how they can recruit and coach. Fortunately he didn't give us that opportunity.

    Interesting to see how Auburn is 3-4 years from now.



  4. #4
    Hugs4ISU
    Guest

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    It would be interesting to see an ubiased comparison to CPR's first recruiting class in a couple of years. Fact is, it is hard to recruit to ISU.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 879,708, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,641
    Points
    879,708
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,943
    Given: 2,354

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I wonder what a good ratio is for success on any given recruiting class? I have no idea. That's pretty scary though. But I think some of DMac's later classes were just as bad, if not even worse?

    I'm just curious if something like a 50% success rate is considered "good" by recruiting standards, or what number is? Is it a "good" class if 50% of them contribute succesfully at some point in their careers, or is it higher than that?

    I'm guessing it's probably lower than many of us might think?
    I can't see 50% being reachable most of the time.

    I'm assuming a class of about 20-25 each year.

    22-30 guys get significant playing time each year. Maybe a few more.

    My thought is that most guys who come to a college to play football don't see the field much, if at all. Most will just see the field from the sidelines.

    Chiz doesn't look like much of a miss to me. That hurt to type.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 48,770, Level: 68
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 980
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bostrem00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    2,810
    Points
    48,770
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 27

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    IIRC James carpenter was a first round pick by Seattle this year but went to Alabama after JUCO ball



  7. #7
    Recruit
    Points: 10,359, Level: 30
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Jerms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Atlantic, IA
    Posts
    121
    Points
    10,359
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    I can't see 50% being reachable most of the time.

    I'm assuming a class of about 20-25 each year.

    22-30 guys get significant playing time each year. Maybe a few more.

    My thought is that most guys who come to a college to play football don't see the field much, if at all. Most will just see the field from the sidelines.

    Chiz doesn't look like much of a miss to me. That hurt to type.

    I'd say more than 22-30 guys get significant playing time each year. There would be 22 starters. 2nd and even 3rd string at most positions would get significant playing time. That makes for 44-66 players getting pt and thats not counting special teams.

    What's scary to me from the OP is how many transfered or never saw the field. If we had that % in basketball it'd be the end of the world.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 879,708, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,641
    Points
    879,708
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,943
    Given: 2,354

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
    I'd say more than 22-30 guys get significant playing time each year. There would be 22 starters. 2nd and even 3rd string at most positions would get significant playing time. That makes for 44-66 players getting pt and thats not counting special teams.

    What's scary to me from the OP is how many transfered or never saw the field. If we had that % in basketball it'd be McDermott.
    Wanted to fix the one part.

    I kind of winged out a number there. I don't think most of the 2nd and 3rd stringers would get in, though. Some positions see more rotation than others. Like QB usually doesn't see a ton.

    To be fair, I don't follow every # that comes on and off the field. We could probably meet in the middle. Either way, it's still 50ish% that see the field or don't.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,509
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugs4ISU View Post
    It would be interesting to see an ubiased comparison to CPR's first recruiting class in a couple of years. Fact is, it is hard to recruit to ISU.
    Especially the first class when hired in (I forget but it was likely December) with less than 2 months to signing day. Part of our issues the last few years is we have had 2 new coaches that had to have short recruiting first years.


    Last edited by rebecacy; 07-30-2011 at 11:28 AM.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 95,152, Level: 96
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,898
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,718
    Points
    95,152
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 67

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
    And there was so much talk at that time how good of a recruiter he was and how he was upgrading the talent. Other than a couple studs that didn't pan out. Just goes to show you have to give a head coach 4-5 years to truely judge how they can recruit and coach. Fortunately he didn't give us that opportunity.

    Interesting to see how Auburn is 3-4 years from now.
    I don't think that you can make ANY conclusions from a class that was put together during a coaching change.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,509
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I don't think that you can make ANY conclusions from a class that was put together during a coaching change.
    Well he did sign the (likely) first NFL 1st round draft choice since 1973 during a coaching change.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 185,163, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,550
    Points
    185,163
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 609

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    He only had 2 first round NFL offensive lineman. One other OL who signed with the Texans. One linebacker who signed with GB. A TE who signed with the JETS.


    He was the Adam Dunn of recruiting his first year.... strike out or homerun.



  13. #13
    Recruit
    Points: 10,359, Level: 30
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Jerms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Atlantic, IA
    Posts
    121
    Points
    10,359
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    Quote Originally Posted by rebecacy View Post
    Especially the first class when hired in (I forget but it was likely December) with less than 2 months to signing day. Part of our issues the last few years is we have had 2 new coaches that had to have short recruiting first years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I don't think that you can make ANY conclusions from a class that was put together during a coaching change.
    Both true.

    Coaching consistancy always helps.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 879,708, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    57,641
    Points
    879,708
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,943
    Given: 2,354

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    It's fair to say that Chizik did a pretty remarkable job for a coaching transition recruiting class.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 15,261, Level: 37
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    cyclonelifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Beatrice, Nebraska
    Posts
    346
    Points
    15,261
    Level
    37
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: chiziks first class was nearly a complete bust

    I believe McMahon made it here, but transferred before any practices and went on to become a starting C at one of the locational schools in Michigan



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM