Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

take 2 aspirin and call me in a year or two

While I enjoy hoping... discussing... dreaming... rooting for my team... and setting high expectations as much as the next guy, I think that we all need to just set our expecations right this year. We need to know that it will be a long, hard season. We also need to SUPPORT them more than we ever have. This is when true fan support shows up. It's easy to support a team destin to win a championship.

Now, if we were supposed to win the Big 12 and then started out this bad, I'd say complain away if you want (although, even then I hate it). Folks no one in their right mind really thought we'd shake things up this year. Purely a year or 2 of rebuilding...minimum. We ALL knew that. So, why the freaking out? Save that for the Michigan fans. They probably deserve to panic a bit.

I know it sucks being at the bottom looking up. I'm a long time fan. This is one time, however, when I truly feel that this position is a short-term one. We DO have a solid coach and coaching staff. We DO have a phenominal Athletic Director. We DO have record season ticket sales (by a long shot). We DO have more money flowing into the athletic program than ever before. We DO have an administration that appears to be loosening up the purse strings (i.e. we now have the 3rd highest paid assistant coaching staff in the Big 12...our historically low paid assistant coach budget always got us just that... a low talent group). We DO have a vision for the program.

Yes, losing sucks. I was at the game and it was painful. I am, however, struck by the false expecations some have this early in a rebuilding process. You don't rebuild a program in one off-season. If, by game 6 they have not improved a bit (not talking about wins, but simply how they play), I'll be a bit disappointed. Even then, I know this is year one of a rebuild.

I'm one of the most competitive people I know. So, yes it really burns me up to lose. So, don't assume my thoughts are due to me not caring about winning. I just see people with way too high of expecations for this year. It's a thowaway year as far as wins go.

I emplore you to make this a year where people talk about the ISU fans and how they support their team no matter what. That has been the case for basketball over the years, but not football. If the future were not bright, it would be hard... but... I truly feel the future is bright. So, it makes cheering for this bunch of kids and this coaching staff and this adminstration... much, much easier.

WE control so much, but don't control what happens on the field. We do, however, control the fan reputation, how much fun we have in the stands, what incoming recruits think of fan support, what people say when they talk about ISU fans, our attitudes...

Oh, and in closing, to the guys that sat in front of me, and several on this board, repeat after me... it's only a game... it's only a game... it's only a game...it's only a game.

Last edited by northernclone; 09-10-2007 at 09:30 AM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: take 2 aspirin and call me in a year or two

Quote Originally Posted by amendm1 View Post
    We DO have a solid coach and coaching staff.
    I'd say the verdict is still out on that. If we can't "freak" out at this stage, we also can't proclaim that we have a solid coach and coaching staff. We simply do not know.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 604

I expect to see perceptible improvement in the ninth game since the opponents gradually get better for next six games. Sorry.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I think the most important thing is that we are there to support out players and coaches. I would agree that we all had high expectations for this year but this is just a reality check. We need to give them time and support.
    I also think if mcarney didnt get fired last year it would have been this year, he didnt have anything left from last year and didnt have anything comming in.

Last edited by ljs6756; 09-10-2007 at 12:26 PM.
    James