Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

Nike Pro Combat

I apologize ahead of time (we've gone awhile without a new uniform thread) but ISU is sponsored by Nike. Why don't we have some badass Pro Combat uniform? It seems more and more schools have them but we don't. Anyone know if we will? I would love to see what they would look like.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Nike Pro Combat

Because we are not a high quality football program and will be a few years behind everyone when it comes to uniforms and equipment.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

Because as Nike puts it on their site:

"As is the new tradition, the Nike Pro Combat uniforms were each designed to be a tribute to the unique heritage and history of the individual college football programs."

That's something we don't have, since the uni's are usually a tribute to memorable team in the program, usually a national championship team or (in the case of Oregon) the alma mater of the CEO. Would I love to see Nike do a NPC uni as a tribute to the Dirty Thirty? Abso-freakin'-luty, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone96 View Post
    Would I love to see Nike do a NPC uni as a tribute to the Dirty Thirty? Abso-freakin'-luty
    Done. My gold didn't turn out the right color, so imagine the helmet and pants being closer to the gold Notre Dame uses. These have Northwestern stripes similar to the home unis from 59, although the away whites didn't look like they had anything on them. I put "Dirty 30" on the helmet bumper and "ISC" on the collar, although more it would be more likely that the inside back said "Dirty 30" - that seems to be where Nike usually puts the nickname - or university specific motto that is special to the pro combats. It would probably just have Cyclones on the bumper and the new I-State logo on the collar.

Might see if I can mock up a cardinal uni, although I'm not sure what would inspire it. I guess maybe the 2000 team that won the first bowl game - or I might try to do something with the stripes that Jack Trice wore.

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 806
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 8

Those unis are sweet!

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmb341 View Post
    Done. My gold didn't turn out the right color, so imagine the helmet and pants being closer to the gold Notre Dame uses. These have Northwestern stripes similar to the home unis from 59, although the away whites didn't look like they had anything on them. I put "Dirty 30" on the helmet bumper and "ISC" on the collar, although more it would be more likely that the inside back said "Dirty 30" - that seems to be where Nike usually puts the nickname - or university specific motto that is special to the pro combats. It would probably just have Cyclones on the bumper and the new I-State logo on the collar.

Might see if I can mock up a cardinal uni, although I'm not sure what would inspire it. I guess maybe the 2000 team that won the first bowl game - or I might try to do something with the stripes that Jack Trice wore.

That looks freaking awesome

Walk On
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I was told by a former player that during the last year McCarney was on board they were actually looking into new uni's that we could use similar to the pro combat idea. He said he was even called in to help make a decision on what one they were going to go with, but after McCarney plateaued the offer was taken off of the table.

“Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.” - Henry Rollins

All-Star
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I know Chizik was able to get ISU into the Nike elite program when he came here.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's my other idea, modeled after this:

Couldn't decide between cardinal or gold helmet, and I almost thought about doing brown (leather color).

I actually think these are really cool, especially because of the history, but also crazy enough they could actually fit with the Nike pro combat style. You can't really see, but there is supposed to be a gold swatch on the sleeve of the under shirt, which is something Nike has been doing (see Ore. St.'s black uni), that matches up with the patch on the upper of the 1923 uniform. These could potentially say Ames on the helmet or possibly use the old intertwining ISC logo.

Last edited by dmb341; 07-29-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 251

Couldn't decide between cardinal or gold helmet, and I almost thought about doing brown (leather color).

I actually think these are really cool, especially because of the history, but also crazy enough they could actually fit with the Nike pro combat style. You can't really see, but there is supposed to be a gold swatch on the sleeve of the under shirt, which is something Nike has been doing (see Ore. St.'s black uni), that matches up with the patch on the upper of the 1923 uniform. These could potentially say Ames on the helmet or possibly use the old intertwining ISC logo.
    If my choice were just between these two, I'd take the gold helmet. However, maybe if on the cardinal helmet, the facemask were gold? That could maybe break up the color just enough. Otherwise there is just too much cardinal above the numbers, IMO.

“Hawks tell us we have no future, and we let you know what we think of Hawk fans, which is a lower opinion all the time.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

“With the exception of tm3308. He is a good contributor on this site. It is almost to the point that I question if he is actually a hawk fan. ” -- Cyclonestate78 7/25/2011

“He broke the mold. If he wrote the OP, I would have read the whole thing.” – CycloneErik 7/25/2011

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

They pick about 6 or 8 schools a year to wear the pro combat uni's. They have already picked the schools for this year, we are not one of them.

Starter
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 10

Those look pretty cool and I like the history behind it. Some people get really upset about the possibility of new or different designs, but I love seeing what people come up with.

You should e-mail this to Pollard. If they ever did a throwback/tribute type game again this would be perfect for that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
    I know Chizik was able to get ISU into the Nike elite program when he came here.
    This is correct, and possibly one of Cheez's greatest achievements at ISU. We went from high school quality uniforms to big boy uniforms in the blink of an eye. We are 'Nike Elite' in football (and I think a few other sports, or maybe all sports by now) which puts us on par with many of the top schools in the country. Not sure if we'll ever get NPC jerseys though. I'd guess probably not.

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 167

Man you are on a roll!! Those look great! I am personally more of a gold helmet fan with these tribute uni's to break up the coloring a little bit. These would be a ton of fun and could maybe peak more interest in the Jack Trice story and ISU's history.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 806
    Given: 1,669

October 8th, 2013 would be the 90th anniversary of Jack Trice's death. The weekend right before or after that would be perfect to unveil these unis. It would be a great tribute to the only african american with an FBS stadium named after him.

EDIT:
    We play Texas at home on Oct 5th 2013. That would be perfect.

Oh, and I vote for gold helmets.

Last edited by cyhiphopp; 07-29-2011 at 09:06 AM.