Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 30

The Texas Issue

I see ESPN and Texas University as co-conspirators in continuing conference realignment/B12 destruction with ESPN pushing Texas to independent by virtue of the Longwhorn Network.

What happens to the Fox Sports contract if Texas is no longer part of the Big 12? That would be a very interesting discussion I'd be having if I were one of the other 9 teams. And of course the impact on upcoming first tier negotiations. Since essentially a small cartel controls all of the tv money, I'm sure the answer is ridiculously low.

I think the Big 12 could not only survive but thrive without Texas if the right teams were added after the exit of Texas, either by vote of the other members to "kick them out" due to unfair advantage of the LHN or Texas and ESPN leaving on their own.

Of course the elephant in the room is NCAA rules which go out the window if Texas is allowed to broadcast HS games on LHN, which I'm sure is part of the very expensive model for success and therefore, most likely will happen.

There are plenty of teams who could be added that would fit with the footprint and culture of the remaining B12 teams.

Here's a short list:
    Houston
    BYU
    Air Force
    TCU
    Boise (Like another KSU for academics and a guaranteed W for all other sports other than FB)
    Long Shot and not sure about fit - Notre Dame

If you think about it, from a competitiveness standpoint a lot of other teams may consider the B12 without Texas, as you only have one traditional power FB school left in OU. Great for OU for a near automatic yearly shot at NC to stay and a way for other teams to climb up the success ladder so may even appeal to mid-lower level schools in SEC and B10, depending on equivalent money.

If I'm Bebe or a non-Texas AD, this is what I'm looking over very closely. Much better option than 16 team non-super conferences in my opinion, but the 16 setup is desired by ESPN and probably the other networks to set up a de-facto playoff scenario in FB and is what is driving all the Machiavellian maneuverings of all those involved in the money chase.

I would not at all be surprised to find out there is already a planned new "super" conference model with all the teams where the networks want them and a couple contingency models hanging up in their war rooms.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 610
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Re: The Texas Issue

Market penetration is the key, markets aren't.

Houston doesn't deliver Houston. Air Force doesn't deliver Colorado. Boise probably delivers Idaho, but what the **** does that get you? Nothing.

Read this article about the failure of the 16 team WAC, I think you'll see the point:

Big Ten can learn from failed 16-team WAC expansion experiment - Andy Staples - SI.com

Essentially, the 16 team WAC thought it would be successful because it had a bunch of schools in major markets, the problem though, was that those schools couldn't deliver those markets, thus no TV provider was willing to pay much for the conference's TV rights.

Texas delivers for the Big 12's TV contract. That is why they got paid off by ESPN. Without Texas, the Big 12's market penetration plummets. You can't simply replace Texas' value by adding Houston. Adding Houston, TCU, SMU, & Rice combined wouldn't get half the market penetration that Texas has by itself.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 30

So what you're saying is the B12 is screwed. I've heard that before...and it's probably right unless the LHN ends up with programming similar to the BYU network geared towards longhorns.

BYUtv - Schedule - Daily

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post
    So what you're saying is the B12 is screwed. I've heard that before...and it's probably right unless the LHN ends up with programming similar to the BYU network geared towards longhorns.

BYUtv - Schedule - Daily
    I'm saying that expanding won't do anything, unless it were possible to get BYU & ND....those are the only two schools that could be added that would stabilize the Big 12 IMO. They both add markets that both fan bases are able to penetrate.

I'm highly skeptical that ND would join the Big 12 until superconferences start to form, and IMO, the only way super conferences start to form is if the Big 12 falls apart.

So long as Texas & TAMU remain in the Big 12, the Big 12 will exist. If either of those schools leaves, it likely signals the end.

Prospect
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think adding BYU and Louisville would be beneficial.

If we brought back the CCG it would add probably $15M to our contract. And certainly BYU and Louisville add value. Let's be very conservative and say $10M for BYU and $5M for UL. That's a total of $30M added in value between the CCG and the two teams.

I'm guessing that both of those schools would take a guaranteed $15M/yr for the first few years before becoming a full member. And that means that none of the existing schools would have to adjust their currently projected payouts. It's a win/win for BYU and while UL loses the Big East in bball, the (new) Big 12 would probably be even stronger:

North
    BYU
    Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Louisville
    Missouri

South
    Baylor
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,297
    Given: 1,129

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post

BYUtv - Schedule - Daily
    That's all you'll ever get from hawkfan. He is like a bad parrot: "Squak, Big 12 doomed, Squak, ISU to the MAC."

Discuss with our better Hawk fans and you've got a chance. Hawkfan himself is just obsessed with our demise, but probably believes that we don't matter to him.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BaylorGuy314 View Post

If we brought back the CCG it would add probably $15M to our contract. And certainly BYU and Louisville add value. Let's be very conservative and say $10M for BYU and $5M for UL. That's a total of $30M added in value between the CCG and the two teams.

I'm guessing that both of those schools would take a guaranteed $15M/yr for the first few years before becoming a full member. And that means that none of the existing schools would have to adjust their currently projected payouts. It's a win/win for BYU and while UL loses the Big East in bball, the (new) Big 12 would probably be even stronger:

North
    BYU
    Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Louisville
    Missouri

South
    Baylor
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech
    I agree with you 100%. I would love this breakdown.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 29

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    That's all you'll ever get from hawkfan. He is like a bad parrot: "Squak, Big 12 doomed, Squak, ISU to the MAC."

Discuss with our better Hawk fans and you've got a chance. Hawkfan himself is just obsessed with our demise, but probably believes that we don't matter to him.

SQUAWK!!!!

I finally got so tired of his act that I just put him on my ignore list.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82

Quote Originally Posted by BaylorGuy314 View Post

North
    BYU
    Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Louisville
    Missouri

South
    Baylor
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    Texas Tech
    This would happen over the Big 12 South schools' dead bodies.

ABC - Always Be Closing

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

BYU isn't joining any conference anytime soon. They have enough money from tithes from their TBMs, and they paid cash for their new network and equipment. And they have a path to the BCS (not a great one, but they can get to BCS bowls).

The Big XII needs to look elsewhere.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Plo View Post
    BYU isn't joining any conference anytime soon. They have enough money from tithes from their TBMs, and they paid cash for their new network and equipment. And they have a path to the BCS (not a great one, but they can get to BCS bowls).

The Big XII needs to look elsewhere.
    Not doubting you, because BYU could do that. Source?

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

I like the Big 12 as it is. I'm not a fan of adding any teams at the moment. Maybe in 5 years.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post

LOL. Please give me a logical response as to anything I've posted in this thread that seems ridiculous or incorrect. Please provide some sound logic in your analysis too...not the usual "I've got nothing, so I'd rather act like a fifth grader" drivel.

EDIT: To make your assertion look even more ridiculous, please go back and find a post this summer where I've said ISU will ever be in a mid major conference. I haven't ONCE made that claim. If you'd go back and look, you'd see that I've quite consistently stated that ISU will end up in a 16 team conference one day.....of course, you never have any substance to your arguments, so I shouldn't ever expect anything well informed or logical from you.

Last edited by hawkfan; 07-28-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post
    LOL. Please give me a logical response as to anything I've posted in this thread that seems ridiculous or incorrect. Please provide some sound logic in your analysis too...not the usual "I've got nothing, so I'd rather act like a fifth grader" drivel.

EDIT: To make your assertion look even more ridiculous, please go back and find a post this summer where I've said ISU will ever be in a mid major conference. I haven't ONCE made that claim. If you'd go back and look, you'd see that I've quite consistently stated that ISU will end up in a 16 team conference one day.....of course, you never have any substance to your arguments, so I shouldn't ever expect anything well informed or logical from you.
    No one cares what you think or say, HN would be better suited for you.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCrazy View Post
    No one cares what you think or say, HN would be better suited for you.
    I come here to have a rational discussion with the posters....and for the most part, the posters are rational and have respectable opinions on things.

Sometimes its better to discuss things with someone who has a different view point, that is why I come here.