Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

Trade aTm for BYU

If aTm cries enough and threatens to leave, call their bluff. BYU would jump in a minute to the Big 12 and we'd be no worse for the wear. I like going to Utah for games.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 740
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 251

Re: Trade aTm for BYU

Yea but then we'd have 2 teams with their own networks for people to get all worked up about.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 1

Big 12 fans should want NOTHING to change with the current Texas/TAMU relationship. That relationship is what preserves the Big 12.

So long as the Texas politicians force the two to stay conjoined at the hip, the Big 12 will exist. If either Texas or TAMU is allowed to leave, all hell will break loose for the Big 12, because TAMU won't leave by itself, & UT leaving in and of itself would destroy the conference.

Addict
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 990
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 117
    Given: 44

I'd be fine with that. The only bad thing would be opening up the state of Texas to the SEC. But then, they can only sign 25 and every Texas kid they sign leaves a FL kid open.

Personally, I would talk to BYU right now and offer them a spot. Play with 11 teams like the Big 10 did for so many years. Go back to an 8 game conference schedule and have 2-3 reserved "rivals" and rotate the rest. BYU gets to have a great conference for their non-FB sports, gets to keep their network and I'd allow them to keep their current deal with ESPN for first tier games til it expires.

While playing with 11, give ND a standing invite with a two year expiration date. In the meantime, study the alternatives for adding a 12th team. Is NM growing fast enough and would that TV market be worth exploring? Should they look east to Louisville or Memphis? Would Arkansas be interested in the least? What kind of benefits does Air Force bring? Or, do they want to move past 12?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 138

Quote Originally Posted by heitclone View Post
    Yea but then we'd have 2 teams with their own networks for people to get all worked up about.
    Having their own network isnt the problem. Good on them if they can do what was originally proposed to the rest of the conference and try to make some money off of non-conference football, basketball, and some nonrevenue sports. Everyone pretty much figured 'its not hurting us for them to do this with games nobody wants anyways, so if they can make money and it keeps them happy, fine'

The problem with the LHN is they have been overstepping the bounds of what was sold to the rest of the conference and talking about airing games of potential recruits and airing conference football games in an attempt to strongarm other areas of the conference into picking up their network.

Addict
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 616
    Given: 185

One of the best things about adding BYU is that it takes away another potential option for Larry Scott's evil plans for a Pac-16, while improving the Big XII's position at the same time. It's a win-win.

I would much rather add 2 than just 1, though. BYU is great, but I think Air Force or Louisville (my pick) should get invited with them. Get to 12 and go back to 8 conference games in football, and a CCG.

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    One of the best things about adding BYU is that it takes away another potential option for Larry Scott's evil plans for a Pac-16, while improving the Big XII's position at the same time. It's a win-win.

I would much rather add 2 than just 1, though. BYU is great, but I think Air Force or Louisville (my pick) should get invited with them. Get to 12 and go back to 8 conference games in football, and a CCG.
    I would vote Louisville as a 12th member as well. They average about 50,000 for home games which would put them above several big 12 teams. I don't want to see the big 12 add a school that only draws 25000 or so fans.

Prospect
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Talking Re: Trade aTm for BYU

Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    Having their own network isnt the problem. Good on them if they can do what was originally proposed to the rest of the conference and try to make some money off of non-conference football, basketball, and some nonrevenue sports. Everyone pretty much figured 'its not hurting us for them to do this with games nobody wants anyways, so if they can make money and it keeps them happy, fine'

The problem with the LHN is they have been overstepping the bounds of what was sold to the rest of the conference and talking about airing games of potential recruits and airing conference football games in an attempt to strongarm other areas of the conference into picking up their network.

I agree, there's no "I" in conference. B12 needs to practice what it preached during the B12 media day, which was unity and solidarity. At least that's what Dan Bebe preached. In order to become a strong conference, we can't have individual tv networks.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 128

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I'd be fine with that. The only bad thing would be opening up the state of Texas to the SEC. But then, they can only sign 25 and every Texas kid they sign leaves a FL kid open.

Personally, I would talk to BYU right now and offer them a spot. Play with 11 teams like the Big 10 did for so many years. Go back to an 8 game conference schedule and have 2-3 reserved "rivals" and rotate the rest. BYU gets to have a great conference for their non-FB sports, gets to keep their network and I'd allow them to keep their current deal with ESPN for first tier games til it expires.

While playing with 11, give ND a standing invite with a two year expiration date. In the meantime, study the alternatives for adding a 12th team. Is NM growing fast enough and would that TV market be worth exploring? Should they look east to Louisville or Memphis? Would Arkansas be interested in the least? What kind of benefits does Air Force bring? Or, do they want to move past 12?

I have been saying this for a while. Get BYU now and play with 11. The Big Televen has been doing it for years. And someone mentioned that this would "ruin" the evil Pac 12's plans to go "super" first, and BYU would have to be involved in that plan, right? So why not get them to the Big 12 right now? Good history there, within reason for travel, it makes sense. I also agree, getting ND would make our conference incredible..VERY elite..nobody would even cry anymore about losing CU and NU. BYU and ND would blow those memories away and leave them an afterthought. Like it or not, ND is the most famous, most watched College Football team in the history of the sport. It would be tremendous to get ND in the Big 12. (The only way to get ND, is if the NCAA has rule changes and the BCS contracting expires in '14-'15....forcing all teams into conferences and a potential tourny at the end of the year to determine a champ....while keeping bowl games in general of course. With the Big 12's new tv contract....ND could keep all their home games on NBC, keep their rivalrys with USC and Navy and we could very well be a great option for them. In NDs eyes, OU and Texas are in this conference and are also some of the most "traditional" powers ever...this is the only way to get ND.) If we couldn't get ND, we have got to make a push for Arkansas. The big replacement for them would easily be Florida St. to the SEC.

So, BYU-ND-Arkansas should be the main focus to get back to 12. If we do this NOW, 12 will feel like the norm and should be the norm for all major conferences....thus, elimating the need to go "super" 16, etc...IMO

Don't get me wrong, but I am rather excited to have the 10 team league/more $$ for ISU (treat it like the Pac 10 did for years...nine games and a season conference champ)...but some weird feeling in my stomache is this.... A&M and Mizzou love to cry and moan about our conference's current state of affairs....if the conference imploads...it will be because of thier ******** and doing something drastic, forcing Texas' or someone's hand.... I just don't want ISU left with KU, K-State again to figure out what to do....which would be the Big East easily IMO.

I would like for our commish to be pro-active, it just seems like something is just missing. But I agree, get BYU now. What would it hurt? We need them in our long term "scheme" too right?

Last edited by WalkingCY; 07-28-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingCY View Post
    I have been saying this for a while. Get BYU now and play with 11. The Big Televen has been doing it for years. And someone mentioned that this would "ruin" the evil Pac 12's plans to go "super" first, and BYU would have to be involved in that plan, right? So why not get them to the Big 12 right now? Good history there, within reason for travel, it makes sense. I also agree, getting ND would make our conference incredible..VERY elite..nobody would even cry anymore about losing CU and NU. BYU and ND would blow those memories away and leave them an afterthought. Like it or not, ND is the most famous, most watched College Football team in the history of the sport. It would be tremendous to get ND in the Big 12. (The only way to get ND, is if the NCAA has rule changes and the BCS contracting expires in '14-'15....forcing all teams into conferences and a potential tourny at the end of the year to determine a champ....while keeping bowl games in general of course. With the Big 12's new tv contract....ND could keep all their home games on NBC, keep their rivalrys with USC and Navy and we could very well be a great option for them. In NDs eyes, OU and Texas are in this conference and are also some of the most "traditional" powers ever...this is the only way to get ND.) If we couldn't get ND, we have got to make a push for Arkansas. The big replacement for them would easily be Florida St. to the SEC.

So, BYU-ND-Arkansas should be the main focus to get back to 12. If we do this NOW, 12 will feel like the norm and should be the norm for all major conferences....thus, elimating the need to go "super" 16, etc...IMO

Don't get me wrong, but I am rather excited to have the 10 team league/more $$ for ISU (treat it like the Pac 10 did for years...nine games and a season conference champ)...but some weird feeling in my stomache is this.... A&M and Mizzou love to cry and moan about our conference's current state of affairs....if the conference imploads...it will be because of thier ******** and doing something drastic, forcing Texas' or someone's hand.... getting ourselves back to 12

I would like for our commish to be pro-active, it just seems like something is just missing. But I agree, get BYU now. What would it hurt? We need them in our long term "scheme" too right?
    Why hasn't BYU been approached? Seriously. What are we waiting for? I don't understand why they aren't in this conference right now. Win for us and a win for them.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 616

Among other reasons, trading S&M for BYU would NOT help our Texas recruiting. Both from the standpoint of Texas kids having another chance for their parents to see them, AND the additional publicity when we beat them.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 206
    Given: 628

Only 1 problem with your scenario... that is simply that Texas and OU have no desire for the Big XII to have a conference championship game. If expansion means that the Big XII is forced to hold a championship game then you can bet your *** that the Big XII is NOT going to expand. Texas and OU will not allow it.

Edit...

Also keep in mind that schools like ISU, Mizzou, Kansas, K-State, and Baylor would also more then likely end up losing revenue IF Texas and OU were ever ok with expanding. There aren't many schools out there that the Big XII could add that would generate enough extra revenue per year to basically pay for those schools slice of the pie without eating into the schools pieces that I mentioned. Once again... if you think Texas, OU, or A&M are going to sacrifice a penny of their revenue if the Big XII gets watered down by adding 2 more teams you are living in a dream world. That money will come directly out of ISU's pocket as well as the others. I would think ISU would be opposed to expansion at this point as it would simply be giving money away.

Last edited by Cyclonestate78; 07-28-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Pro
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248

Addict
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 616
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonestate78 View Post
    Only 1 problem with your scenario... that is simply that Texas and OU have no desire for the Big XII to have a conference championship game. If expansion means that the Big XII is forced to hold a championship game then you can bet your *** that the Big XII is NOT going to expand. Texas and OU will not allow it.
    Why don't they want it? Fine, we'll just go back to North and South divisions. UT and OU will play in the regular season but not in the championship game.

It would be just like now... playing 9 conference games IF you make the CCG.

Same Big XII divisions as before... except Nebby and Colorado replaced with BYU and AF/L'ville in the North.

Would be GREAT for ISU.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 661
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 128

Why don't they want it? Fine, we'll just go back to North and South divisions. UT and OU will play in the regular season but not in the championship game.

It would be just like now... playing 9 conference games IF you make the CCG.

Same Big XII divisions as before... except Nebby and Colorado replaced with BYU and AF/L'ville in the North.

Would be GREAT for ISU.
    I think this time around if we did get back to 12 that they would not go North vs. South route. They would mix the league's up much like the Big televen just did minus the lame league names though.