Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

eReaders: Kindle vs. Nook.....?

Sorry if this has already been discussed here, but I didn't find anything after a quick search.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting an eReader for my wife for her birthday, but I don't know anything about them or anyone that has one. Personally, I find it more appealing to read an actual book than to read a digital copy, but I figured I'd look into these eReaders to see what they're all about.

From what I've found, it sounds like the kindle and nook are the most popular. Does anyone have either of these and if so, what do you like/dislike about them? Do you like them or is it one of those things you bought and never use? Also, any suggestions on where to purchase (amazon.com)?

Thanks!

- Im not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: eReaders: Kindle vs. Nook.....?

I'm currently using a Nook eTouch reader, and I love it. But I have never used a Kindle, so all I have between the two are the reviews.

For $139 (plus 20 something for the case/cover), it's a good value for me. Does PDFs alright, though I haven't tried PDFs with images (like scientific papers). I've had the touch screen go unresponsive a couple times, which requires me to reboot the darn thing. Others have had similar problems. Will see if it worsens or anything in the future.

Battery life: Okay, so I haven't charged it for more than a few minutes when it was hooked up to my computer (at least I think it charges if plugged into the computer) in a week, and I have been using the hell out of it. Also, I've had the WiFi on. That said, it is currently at ~20% charge. And this is 1 week of essentially being on the whole time, as you never really turn it off. You can, of course, but that eats up more battery life.

Books: B&N store is okay, but I'm not using it much (see below). Not sure if it can do books from Amazon, etc. Check the compatible files specs. It can read PDFs, and I've found free PDF and ePub books online.

Biggest downside for me: I am currently out of the country. YOU HAVE TO USE AN IP ADDRESS IN THE US OR CANADA TO BUY FROM THE B&N STORE!!!! If you're not planning on leaving the country for extended periods of time, or if you have somebody in the States who can hit the 'buy' button for you, not that big of a deal.

Other: The eTouch Reader actually has a web browser that can be used without rooting. However, it is kind of buggy.

All in all, I think I give my Nook a 4 out of 5. But I've only had it for a week.

Prospect
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

The biggest difference between the two, in my opinion, is that the Nook works with .epub files, which is the format used by public libraries, so that e-books can be checked out for free and viewed on the Nook. The Kindle does not support the .epub format. Other than that difference, the devices themselves are very comparable.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 15

I received my Kindle 3G/WiFi as a Christmas gift and I love it. The best sell points is the Amazon/Borders library, the display is easy on the eyes for extended reading, and the battery life can last a week without a recharge (even with 3G/WiFi left on).

The downside is that I have started experiencing problems with my Kindle where it locks up on me and I have to do a hard reset. It sounds like something fell off the board inside the kindle and will cause an intermittent rattle - I have read that this is a common problem, but Amazon is aware and can fix it for you (I have yet to send mine in).

Also, there is talk that new models will be out as early as this fall for both the Kindle and Nook so it may behoove you to wait and see what improvements/changes are made.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 82.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,074
    Given: 572

Love my Kindle. No idea on the other one

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone93 View Post
    The biggest difference between the two, in my opinion, is that the Nook works with .epub files, which is the format used by public libraries, so that e-books can be checked out for free and viewed on the Nook. The Kindle does not support the .epub format. Other than that difference, the devices themselves are very comparable.
    Amazon announced back in April that the Kindle will be able to download books from Libraries.

Ankeny's Library e-book site confirms... WILBOR - Downloadable Audiobooks & E-Books - Kirkendall Public Library - Online Catalog

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,251
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 27

I have a Kindle and really like it. I use the Kindle app on the iPhone as well. It will sync how far you've read between devices easily. If you like the classics you can get some pretty cheap or free from Amazon (probably with the Nook too, I'm not sure).

Starter
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

I have a Nook Color w/WiFi, and I love it. It's fairly similar to an Ipad; touch screen, full color, you can download/play games, and you can browse the internet. With the internet, it supports flash so webpages show up the way they should. It is a little buggy though. It is kind of hard on your eyes with the backlight, but that can be turned way down to make it a little easier. The battery lasts about 8 straight hours if you keep it on full backlight for the whole time. Even just on half power, the battery will last almost all day.

My mom has a Kindle, and she likes it better than the nook. It really is just an e-reader, with just a few app things. I actually kind of like it as well, reading books is easier, but if you are trying to read in low light and there is not a lamp handy you are kind of screwed. Her battery, even with WiFi on the whole time lasts something like a month.

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I would recommend either the Kindle or the new touchscreen (E-Ink) Nook. I own a Kindle and it's been great. Quick page refresh and battery lasts a long time. Unless you are bad at planning ahead, get the Wifi version. If you plan to go on a trip and feel as though you might want more than one book, just download a few extra books in advance.

From what I understand, the newest Nook is just as fast with page refresh and also has the touchscreen. If I were to buy an ereader now, I would probably buy the newest nook.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,104
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the info. - it sounds like they're both pretty good and everyone seems to like what they have.

Where did you guys buy yours - online, in store somewhere?

- Im not a spin my wheels type of guy." - Coach Paul Rhoads

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Bought mine from B&N store.