Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 71

First Triathalon Advice

Guys,
    I am scheduled to do my first sprint tri in about 2 weeks. It is not to much of a distance only 500m swim, 16 mile bike, with 2.5 mile run. I am a little worried, as I have only been training hard for about 4-5 weeks. Initially, I wanted to have a good 10 weeks of training in, but that just didn't work out. I didn't start from scratch, but by no means am in prime condition, this has me a little worried.
    I am not in it to win it, just want to finish it and get into really good shape. Needless to say, I don't have the fancy equipment. I will be rocking the tyr swimming suit and transitioning into a mountain bike with no thrills. One of my friends said it might be good idea to invest in some tri shorts. I don't really want to spend a ton of cash on equipment and gear until I get a few of these under my belt. If anyone has any good advice for me leading up to the event, it would be graciously accepted.

Thanks

CyBer

Re: First Triathalon Advice

Quote Originally Posted by CloneSolo View Post
    Guys,
    I am scheduled to do my first sprint tri in about 2 weeks. It is not to much of a distance only 500m swim, 16 mile bike, with 2.5 mile run. I am a little worried, as I have only been training hard for about 4-5 weeks. Initially, I wanted to have a good 10 weeks of training in, but that just didn't work out. I didn't start from scratch, but by no means am in prime condition, this has me a little worried.
    I am not in it to win it, just want to finish it and get into really good shape. Needless to say, I don't have the fancy equipment. I will be rocking the tyr swimming suit and transitioning into a mountain bike with no thrills. One of my friends said it might be good idea to invest in some tri shorts. I don't really want to spend a ton of cash on equipment and gear until I get a few of these under my belt. If anyone has any good advice for me leading up to the event, it would be graciously accepted.

Thanks
    CARBO-LOAD

Prospect
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You don't need any fancy gear your for your first Tri. Use what you've been training w/ and feel comfortable with. During the swim, try to use your arms as much as possible. Don't worry about kicking or hitting any other swimmers either (they won't care about hitting you either, trust me). Drink plenty of fluids on your bike. On the last mile of the bike portion, start stretching your legs to get ready for the run.

Have fun!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 24

First one and you plan to do more? Just finish the first one (dead serious). If you get to the running part and have energy to burn, burn it, but take it easy on the first one until you know exactly what your body can handle.

When you transition, shake everything out of your upper and lower body to relax your muscles a little bit. Like the post above says, fluids, fluids, and more fluids on the bike.

The few days before are key. Eat as much carbs as you can and get in as much water as you can. Gatorade the morning of will help wake your body up. Try and match Gatorade with the same amount or double the amount of water for the best results. I think I'd read somewhere the leaving some gummy bears on your bike for that portion is a quick source of energy if you don't like gels.

I've got a couple triathlons and a marathon under my belt. Finishing the first one makes the rest a lot easier. Don't go in with high expectations, have fun, and use it as a building block for the future.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 912
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 216
    Given: 304

The only gear I would suggest is a wetsuit. A tri specialty store will rent it to you for $50 or so. It will keep you buoyant and not wear you out during the swim. Do some open water swimming if you can and be safe. I did my first try and the swim absolutely kicked my butt. If I could do it again I would run half as much and swim twice as much as well as practice in open water.

Good luck and have fun. The people that do Tri's are great, and very supportive. Had a lot of fun except for the 30 minutes in white caps choking on water.....

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts